Learning tanking

70 Tauren Paladin
What's the best way to learn how to tank? As i'm leveling up this paladin, i'm half afraid to even use the dungeon finder not knowing the dungeons and the preferred order in which to do them. Don't want to get yelled at by people that have done them 50 times for killing a guy out of order or not pulling in some arbitrary exact order.

Is there a guide to instances and the preferred way of doing them someplace? Holding aggro and such doesn't seem to be such a chore so much as either not going fast enough or not going the right way or not skipping such and such a mob.

Been half tempted to just join as DPS just to avoid doing something wrong.
Edited by Yeti on 12/10/2010 9:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
The best way to learn how to tank, is just that, tanking. It's a learning experience, and everyone has to take their licks at first, but after you get the feel for things, it becomes extremely rewarding. A couple things that could help you out? Learn your rotation and concentrate on being agressive , keep your enemies on you at all times, be aware of your surroundings, and dont be afraid to ask questions when you are put in a situation you are unfamiliar with. The game is about fun, and so is tanking now, so dont be afraid to experiment. It will come in time :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My advice: tank with your guild or friends. They will be more forgiving.

Go slow. If you GO-GO-GO you may DIE-DIE-DIE

When you start a PUG let them know you are relatively new. They probably won't kick you since then they have to wait for a new tank...and then wait some more...waiting...

And read the boards so you know your class. There are quite a few excellent guides (Xayton comes to mind). You should be able to get decent specs and rotations so you can make a go of it.

Just jump right in. The water's fine.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Basically until you hit Cataclysm you should be able to just pull with Avenger's Shield (target caster to silence), and mash Hammer of the Righteous a bunch of times and you should keep threat on everything. When you're not able to mash Hammer of the Righteous, do something else (Avenger's Shield, Holy Wrath, Consecration, Word of Glory, Shield of the Righteous, Judgement).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Hit the eyeball, and begin.

You learn encounters, your limits, and the game by doing. Not by theorycrafting on forums.

If a nerd calls you bad, call him a nerd, hell understand.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
They've vastly improved the dungeons, it's difficult to go "out of order." About the only place I might worry about getting lost is Blackrock Depths, and there's bound to be a reroller or two in your group who can tell you how to get around.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Shaman
If you are feeling very tentative about tanking, you could try tanking an instance a bit lower level than you, which will make the learning curve less painful. Don't go too low, though, as you still want to learn how to effectively handle groups of mobs; if you try to do ragefire chasm as a tank you may come away learning the wrong lessons.

Read a lot. Know your role. Start now and run instances every chance you get. It can be frustrating at times, but also a lot of fun when done right.
Edited by Imagui on 12/11/2010 9:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Levelling as a Tankadin
===============

Some players are able to pick up a new spec quickly. I’ve never been one of those players. I need to spend some time playing it before I feel competent playing it. Thus, I have always preferred to level as the spec I intend to use, and to make liberal use of the low level dungeons to practise the spec.
The following is a level-by-level guide to levelling a Protection Paladin using the random dungeon finder (RDF).

Levels 1 to 14
----------------
Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Paladins are one of the most boring classes to play at low levels. Thankfully, levelling has never been faster.
Make sure to pick up the following abilities:
Crusader Strike
Judgement
Seal of Righteousness
Devotion Aura
Hammer of Justice
Word of Glory
Parry
Righteous Fury
Hand of Reckoning
Also, from level 10 onwards, you can start selecting talents:
Seals of the Pure (2/2)
Divinity (1/3)

Levels 15 to 21
-----------------
Yay! You now have access to the RDF. Levelling is now a lot more fun, and the gear is much better than anything you’ll get from questing. On the down side, low level Protadins will have a little difficulty establishing and maintaining threat, particularly against multiple mobs. Unless you have an unshakeable confidence in your ability, it might be best to go in with guildies rather than strangers at this stage.
When tanking a dungeon, make sure you keep Devotion Aura, Righteous Fury and Seal of Righteousness up at all times. When pulling, mark the primary mob (particularly recommended at low levels) and lead out with Avenger’s Shield. At higher levels this would be followed by a fixed ability rotation, but at this stage it’s more of a priority system – Avenger’s Shield > Judgement > Crusader Strike. If you particularly feel like it, you can help out the healer by casting Word of Glory from time to time, but only if none of the above abilities are off cooldown.
Make sure to pick up the following ability:
Hand of Protection
Make sure to select the following talents:
Divinity (3/3)
Toughness (2/3)
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Levels 22 and 23
-------------------
When tanking a dungeon, make sure you keep Blessing of Kings, Devotion Aura, Righteous Fury and Seal of Righteousness up at all times.
Blessing of Kings
Make sure to select the following talent:
Toughness (3/3)

Levels 24 and 25
--------------------
There is now a separate single-target priority system (Judgement > Crusader Strike > Avenger’s Shield) and multi-target priority system (Consecration > Avenger’s Shield > Judgement > Crusader Strike). You can still help out the healer by casting Word of Glory from time to time, but its use should now be increasingly rare.
Consecration
Judgements of the Just (1/2)
Make sure to activate the following glyphs at level 25:
Glyph of Seal of Truth
Glyph of the Ascetic Crusader
Glyph of Blessing of Kings

Levels 26 and 27
--------------------
When tanking a dungeon, make sure you keep Blessing of Kings, Retribution Aura (instead of Devotion Aura), Righteous Fury and Seal of Righteousness up at all times.
Retribution Aura
Judgements of the Just (2/2)

Level 28
----------
The single-target priority system should be Judgement > Crusader Strike > Avenger’s Shield > Holy Wrath. The multi-target priority system should be Holy Wrath > Consecration > Avenger’s Shield > Judgement > Crusader Strike. You can still help out the healer by casting Word of Glory from time to time, but its use should now be increasingly rare.
Holy Wrath

Levels 29 to 38
------------------
You now have enough abilities to start using a crude ability rotation rather than a priority system. The single target rotation should be Crusader Strike, Judgement, Crusader Strike, Holy Wrath, Crusader Strike, Word of Glory, Crusader Strike, Judgement, Crusader Strike, Avenger’s Shield, Crusader Strike, and Word of Glory.
The multi-target rotation should be Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Wrath, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, Word of Glory, Hammer of the Righteous, Avenger’s Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, and Word of Glory. Both ability rotations can easily be macroed.
You’ll note that Consecration doesn’t fit into either rotation. That’s because you’re no longer so desperate for multi-target threat that you’re willing to pay the massive mana cost of Consecration, and because the cooldown is too long for it to fit into a rotation. Nevertheless, it’s still worthwhile. I’d stick it in as part of the pull for multiple mobs, which now becomes Avenger’s Shield then Consecration. I’d pretty much ditch marking the primary mob from now on, since it won’t be much of an issue any more.
Divine Protection
Righteous Defense
Hammer of the Righteous (1/1)
Sanctuary (3/3)
Wrath of the Lightbringer (1/2)
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Levels 39 to 55
------------------
Now that you have Shield of the Righteous, you have something infinitely more useful to use your holy power on than Word of Glory. The single target rotation should now be: Crusader Strike, Judgement, Crusader Strike, Holy Wrath, Crusader Strike, Shield of the Righteous, Crusader Strike, Judgement, Crusader Strike, Avenger’s Shield, Crusader Strike, and Shield of the Righteous.
The multi-target rotation should be Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Wrath, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of the Righteous, Hammer of the Righteous, Avenger’s Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, and Shield of the Righteous. Both ability rotations can easily be macroed.
Divine Plea
Divine Shield
Plate Specialization
Hand of Freedom
Shield of the Righteous (1/1)
Wrath of the Lightbringer (2/2)
Reckoning (2/2)
Hallowed Ground (1/2)
Holy Shield (1/1)
Vindication (1/1)
Hallowed Ground (2/2)
Divine Guardian (1/1)
You might be confused that I’m not recommending Grand Crusader. Although it is technically a threat per second (TPS) increase in a priority system, in a fixed rotation it doesn’t really serve any purpose.
Make sure to activate the following glyphs at level 50:
Glyph of Shield of the Righteous
Glyph of Holy Wrath
Glyph of Truth

Levels 56 to 62
------------------
When tanking a dungeon, you now have a choice between Blessing of Kings and Blessing of Might. If survival is more of an issue, go with Blessing of Kings. If mana or TPS seems more of an issue, go with Blessing of Might.
Blessing of Might
Improved Hammer of Justice (1/2)
Shield of the Templar (2/3)

Levels 59 to 80
------------------
With Shield of the Templar (3/3), Divine Plea finally becomes useful. Its best use is in the single-target pull, which should now be Divine Plea then Avenger’s Shield then Judgement then Shield of the Righteous. The multi-target pull should remain Avenger’s Shield then Consecration. Congratulations, you’re now a kick-ass single-target tank, though your multi-target tanking is still a little iffy.
Hand of Salvation
Avenging Wrath
Hand of Sacrifice
Mastery
Shield of the Templar (3/3)
Sacred Duty (2/2)
Ardent Defender (1/1)
Improved Judgement (2/2)
Crusade (3/3)
Make sure to activate the following glyphs at level 75:
Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous (I’m anticipating this becoming better)
Glyph of Consecration
Glyph of Blessing of Might

Levels 81 to 85
------------------
Inquisition really changes how you deal with multiple mobs. The pull becomes Divine Plea then Inquisition then Avenger’s Shield then Consecration. The ability rotation becomes Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Wrath, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, Inquisition, Hammer of the Righteous, Avenger’s Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, and Inquisition. Congratulations, you’re now an all-round kick-ass tank. If DPS pull mobs off you now, there’s either a massive gear discrepancy or those DPS desperately need to go back to WoW boot camp.
Inquisition
Guardian of the Ancient Kings
Rule of Law (3/3)
Guarded by the Light (1/2)
Hammer of Justice (2/2)
You might be confused that I’m not recommending Pursuit of Justice. Although it is technically a threat per second (TPS) increase in a priority system, in a fixed rotation it doesn’t really serve any purpose. Also, grabbing a point in Guarded by the Light allows you to substitute Word of Glory for Shield of Righteousness (single-target rotation) or Inquisition (multi-target rotation), where survival seems more important than TPS (ie where you outgear your other party members).
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
When I get some time, I'll fix the formatting, which didn't really work as I'd hoped.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Your apprehension is your downfall. "Tanking", at least through BC, is a joke right now. Just smash and grab. If a cloth gets agro, no biggie, they can tank it. If a healer gets agro, no biggie, they can tank it, too.

Heck, when I was playing my ele shaman as a healer, the DK tank got all "old school" and upset that players weren't doing their "jobs" right, I told him to sit the heck down, and proceeded to tank the instance while healing myself, including all bosses, as ele. I've also let shadowpriests and mages tank instances, when "old school" tanks got the attitude bug (in resto, though).

The environment is so forgiving for tanking right now, that there is no reason you should not give it a try. Just put on Righteous Fury, and abuse Hammer of the Righteous. Everything else is gravy. Oh, and if you want to put your healer to sleep, abuse Word of Glory (I personally found Shield of the Righteous to be very disappointing at this stage).

As a footnote, I'd say the only exception is Dire Maul Commons. The ogres there hit pretty hard.

Edit: Dear god, all that crap that Ysolte is putting out... it's not that complicated!!!
Edited by Tart on 12/11/2010 10:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]