Priest healing suggestions

85 Blood Elf Priest
im starting this thread so people can explain the issues they are having and others can make suggestions. i do not want to see people qq'ing to blizz about things they want fixed, or people being jerks and calling others stupid, make your own thread for that.

anyway, my current issue is the same that many are having and thats mana. currently im trying to keep renew on the tank at all times, keep up my heal chakra state so i can use holy word: serenity when its off cooldown (if needed), PoM when its up on the tank, and heal as my normal go to spell, flash heal during oh crap moments. i occasionally use my shield but often forget to use it. i just changed my spec and took out the 2 points i had in Veiled shadows and took one out of twin disciplines. i put those 3 points into evangelism and archangel hoping this will regen more mana over time than my shadowfiend did.

So does anyone see anything im doing wrong and need to fix?
Reply Quote
I haven't really tried Holy yet, but even as Disc, mana is horrible, and throughput is just okay. I OOM incredibly fast even without keeping everyone topped off, just hanging on by the skin of my teeth with DPS usually at 30-40%. I probably use flash heal too much, but I have no choice, because if I heal with heal then by the time I've cast that long cast time it's only healed for 5k and my target is likely dead already. Same thing happens with smite. Smite and heal healing are only safe on really easy small trash pulls. Blizz needs to either increase the potency and decrease the cast time of heal (and maybe smite with atonement) or make everything cost less mana. Or maybe both. Both would be nice. Because we suck right now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
ugh tell me about it...my rotation is as follows...

inner focas- before fight starts...
prayer of healing -mana free crappy bubbles..
shields up captain.(usually just on tank cause if i bubble the entire party mana is gone)

then ill try to squeeze in a smite to activate my evang...
buy this time the bubble wears off
flash heal like a mofo casue im holding on to the oh ***t handle white knuckles and all
useless renew
now im outa mana ..boss is at 80% people are angry
and i get booted...

but wait...

i have a shadow spec..no i jsut roll into a dungeon and ninja all the healing gear..

LOOK WHAT UVE TURNED ME INTO BLIZZ
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It might be just me, but I think that at entry level gear doing heroics, you should end a boss fight with zero mana, the tank and, well, everyone, sitting at 50% health. It should be a challenge, at least at this gear level. If I were getting through a heroic boss fight with 50% mana and everyone around full health, there'd be a major problem.

Having been doing some early raids, we feel a bit weak, but it's nothing to be worried about in the very first week of the expansion.

I can heal all the heroics fine, better than some other classes in fact, and we're still wanted in raids. Surely that's a good barometer of the state of our healing as anything else?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
yeah tried that too...eats up mana mana mana mana
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I've been playing as a Disc priest and Smiting doesn't seem to help in big pulls (small pulls with mobs that don't AOE are okay) that AOE everyone. It takes too long to cast a smite and it only heals for 6-7k (10k on crits). By the time I've healed through that damage, usually my stack of Evangelism is gone and I can't even claim back my mana.

Now, I just tell the DPS-ers to CC and stay out of damage as much as possible. Anyone who gets hit only gets a HoT (and a bubble if I think they need it) so that I can keep casting GH (and cancelling) on the tank. Or I just pull them back with Leap of Faith and let them bandage.

Penance doesn't seem to heal for much now. Sometimes, I'd cast it and I'd check again because I can't see any difference in the tank's health bar.

I don't mind the cost of healing spells now, I just hope Blizz makes it worth my mana cost. Greater Heal should heal for more at 85 compared to 80 right? :p Plus everyone has a 100k hp bar but my biggest heals are the same as they were when I was 80.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Heres the current solution I have found (im disc but it should work for holy)
Greater heal spam when people are tanking damage
all other moments just use Heal.
that concludes healing for me.
for specs, just spec into anything that buffs either of those spells.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sigh... smite spec just doesn't work at low gear levels in the new dungeons, just don't use it! Great for questing, not good for heroics. If the tank isn't taking damage right off the bat then there is no reason to have anything on him, not a shield, not a renew, nothing, its a waste. As soon as the tank starts getting hit put up a shield, use heal if damage is light, if damage is heavier then penance followed by inner focus and greater heal. Keep a shield on the tank so you have a higher crit chance due to weakend soul, penance to get 3 stacks of grace and then greater heal, I was critting for over 30k at low gear levels.

If a single dps is taking damage I usually use a shield followed by a greater heal or penance depending on the amount of damage. Keep pom bouncing if you have melee. For aoe damage that you know is coming, barrier is amazing, Inner focus plus prayer of healing is going to be your biggest aoe heal. When the whole raid is taking damage I like to power infuse myself and then pop a few prayers of healing, the pi will cut the mana cost by 20% and you will be casting 20% faster to get them out of danger. Divine hymn is horrible, don't use it. My bear tanks tranq was hitting way harder than divine hymn.... its sad.

If you'er in vent, I like having my tank announce when they are popping their cooldowns so you don't overlap yours and then not have one later. Also help remind the dps to use any cooldowns they have to save themselves as well.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Warrior
OP

Thank you for constructing such a positive thread.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
If it's not enough, you're not doing it right lol.
And not just you as a healer. Forget trying to cover for everyone's mistakes in a group. Your group has to know what they're doing. You alone cannot carry everyone and correct every mistake that's done.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
12/10/2010 10:47 PMPosted by Angelusofnex
im starting this thread so people can explain the issues they are having and others can make suggestions. i do not want to see people qq'ing to blizz about things they want fixed, or people being jerks and calling others stupid, make your own thread for that.

anyway, my current issue is the same that many are having and thats mana. currently im trying to keep renew on the tank at all times, keep up my heal chakra state so i can use holy word: serenity when its off cooldown (if needed), PoM when its up on the tank, and heal as my normal go to spell, flash heal during oh crap moments. i occasionally use my shield but often forget to use it. i just changed my spec and took out the 2 points i had in Veiled shadows and took one out of twin disciplines. i put those 3 points into evangelism and archangel hoping this will regen more mana over time than my shadowfiend did.

So does anyone see anything im doing wrong and need to fix?

One issue is Renew. Its a mana hog, and it does heal well. I would rather just use Heal. I try to keep a Renew on the tank during a boss fight but never any more. POM on CD no matter what really. Only use FH when Surge of Light procs. Never anytime less, even when the tank has 10% health. If you have enough mastery your EoL should keep him up until you can get another POM on him or a GHeal on him.

I try not to use PW:S unless I need someone to move fast. B+S talent.

Where I get hit hard is bosses, not trash. Trash is easy with the right CC, bosses on the other hand now thats another topic.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 10:54 PMPosted by Onassis
I haven't really tried Holy yet, but even as Disc, mana is horrible, and throughput is just okay. I OOM incredibly fast even without keeping everyone topped off, just hanging on by the skin of my teeth with DPS usually at 30-40%. I probably use flash heal too much, but I have no choice, because if I heal with heal then by the time I've cast that long cast time it's only healed for 5k and my target is likely dead already. Same thing happens with smite. Smite and heal healing are only safe on really easy small trash pulls. Blizz needs to either increase the potency and decrease the cast time of heal (and maybe smite with atonement) or make everything cost less mana. Or maybe both. Both would be nice. Because we suck right now.

In starter gear, try not using flash heal at all.

Geez. You can pop flash heals and watch your mana fall. Same with Dispels. Seriously last resort and really only on the tank. Only reason anyone else should need it is if they got threat, and if they took threat, they deserve to die.

I very nicely told a ret today that I, quoting, "I simply cannot heal two tanks, I need you to let the tank establish threat" after he'd died for the third time and I was nearly ooming trying to keep him up before he died.

He actually stopped pulling threat. He got bad threat only one other time in the instance and I PS'd him. The tank was good at surviving, not as good at threat. It wasn't all the ret's fault, but 90%.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 11:02 PMPosted by Machete
ugh tell me about it...my rotation is as follows...

inner focas- before fight starts...
prayer of healing -mana free crappy bubbles..
shields up captain.(usually just on tank cause if i bubble the entire party mana is gone)

then ill try to squeeze in a smite to activate my evang...
buy this time the bubble wears off
flash heal like a mofo casue im holding on to the oh ***t handle white knuckles and all
useless renew
now im outa mana ..boss is at 80% people are angry
and i get booted...
but wait...

i have a shadow spec..no i jsut roll into a dungeon and ninja all the healing gear..

LOOK WHAT UVE TURNED ME INTO BLIZZ

Haha, and this is what has been happening to me lately. In an attempt to become a better healer, the hybrid dps just take the spirit gear and even some warlocks and mages seem to like taking healer gear because they are somehow mad I could not keep them at 100% health the entire fight so they deprive me of my gear...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Lightwell is your best friend in boss fights. Tell your group you are placing one and for them to use it. The heal from it is amazing and can crit. Plus it can save your butt when you only have enough mana to use Heal. For tank spikes so far I am using a flash heal followed by holy word then a greater heal. This usually stabilizes the tank.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
so after reading all the posts im gathering that i should be using greater heal a lot more than i am. i'll give it a try later today
Reply Quote
81 Undead Rogue
Some things people have to realize is that running OOM is also not entirely the healers fault. This is something that came up in WotlK.

Tanks need to be making sure that they are constantly and efficiency using their damage reduction abilities. Generally as a tank, you used to be able to ignore most of your other abilities and just have the healer heal the extra damage.

Same goes with DPS. Very few learned or realized the need to try and reduce the amount of damage they take. The whole "A dead DPS has zero DPS" concept was lost when it was the healers fault for a DPS dying, not the DPS.

As a healer, many of you may be playing correctly and efficiently, and your problem may not be internal at all (pertaining to your gear / spec / class / playstyle). It just may be some other external factors, such as unnecessary damage taking by the group that is causing you to have problems. This isn't a healer problem, but a group problem. Think of this as DPS trying to kill things if a tank can't keep threat.. it can't be done. Healers can heal groups that suffer some damage, but healers aren't meant to keep up dying groups constantly. Obviously, yes, if a DPS takes a bad blow and is going to die, that's where the healer comes in. But if this happens more than once, then you have other problems.

Just trying to help others gain some sight on alternatives.
Reply Quote
12/11/2010 3:38 AMPosted by Whynot
12/10/2010 10:54 PMPosted by Onassis

In starter gear, try not using flash heal at all.

Geez. You can pop flash heals and watch your mana fall. Same with Dispels. Seriously last resort and really only on the tank. Only reason anyone else should need it is if they got threat, and if they took threat, they deserve to die.

I very nicely told a ret today that I, quoting, "I simply cannot heal two tanks, I need you to let the tank establish threat" after he'd died for the third time and I was nearly ooming trying to keep him up before he died.

He actually stopped pulling threat. He got bad threat only one other time in the instance and I PS'd him. The tank was good at surviving, not as good at threat. It wasn't all the ret's fault, but 90%.

How am I supposed to just not use flash heal? It's the only way to keep the tank alive when heal heals for 5k and has a 2 and a half sec cast time and smite does the same thing. I haven't really tried greater heal but I'm not really sure how that would work... it was pretty much never touched in wrath.
Reply Quote
81 Undead Rogue

How am I supposed to just not use flash heal? It's the only way to keep the tank alive when heal heals for 5k and has a 2 and a half sec cast time and smite does the same thing. I haven't really tried greater heal but I'm not really sure how that would work... it was pretty much never touched in wrath.

Greater heal excels in mana efficiency due to its long cast time. To overcome the long cast time, you need to preemptively cast it so if the tank is about to take a big hit, your greater heal will only come 1 second later.

It takes some time to learn the rhythm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]