Does healing feel more strategic, less spammy

90 Draenei Priest
I'm thinking about leveling this character. I absolutely hate DPSing on a priest. The only role I enjoy for this class is healer.

I think I remember that we were told that healing in Cataclysm would be more strategic and less spammy, and that making the right choice would trump making the fast choice.

Is this true, in practice?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I love healing on my priest. At first I was skeptical because healing was so much different. I feel like i have actually learned to heal. As far as DPS goes I keep a shadow spec for the dailies. IMO it's a necessity! Good Luck.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Make sure you have 4 friends to play with if you're rolling a healer. You'll have a hard time completing heroics and beyond on your own due to the mass stupidity that roams the servers.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
You still spam, its just now it heals for very little.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I would recommend you just dive in and try out healing as opinions vary. Personally, I love the new healing model. And yes, it is rather strategic. Heal is essentially our auto-attack. You'll use it most until damage starts to get heavier and/or more spread out. That's when you have to wisely use the rest of your spells, always keeping mana, fight length, boss abilities, etc in mind.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/12/2010 4:45 PMPosted by Shyight
12/12/2010 4:44 PMPosted by Shootdafoo

Exactly this.

^
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
So far it still feels spammy, but also feels more strategic.

You spam your mana efficient heal(s) non-stop, and then you make a strategic decision when you decide to deviate to your higher-throughput heals (and a decision of how long you need to/can afford to stay on those heals before switching back)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
My understanding from the blue comments made before the beta was that we would not have to cast nonstop the way we had to in Wrath.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
No, it doesn't feel more strategic at all.
Spamming Heal, over Flash Heal to save mana.
It's simply not fun, and it's unnerving to heal for so little.
Using Chakra > Heal to help preserve mana, is something blizz could make necessary without forcing us to spam heal.
Good healers would do it anyways.
It's absolutely possible for them to take it back a few notches, and still have healing be fun, and thoughtful, whilst keeping bad healers exactly where they should be, out of mana, or groups.
However it seems only elitest people that can get good groups together seem to be able to clear anything.
This however is not the case for casual players, that get their gear via LFD.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
12/12/2010 4:45 PMPosted by Shyight
12/12/2010 4:44 PMPosted by Shootdafoo

Exactly this.

really really exactly this
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It feels even more spammy to me.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Healing feels spammier than ever on this character. The difference is that now I'm spamming a slow, efficient, weak-ish heal all the time to deal with slow steady damage instead of strong, efficient heals all the time to deal with fast steady damage.

I see people's life drop by 50% in the time it takes me to get a heal off, and if they then make the mistake of standing in a fire or whatever, they're dead, before I can really do very much. Even if/when I think "Oh crap, better burn cooldowns stat!" I watch their life bar barely move upward. I thought the point was slow things down and make them more strategic, but "slow" in this case just feels like I'm stuck in molasses, and damage is at the same pace. God forbid the DPS don't get mobs down fast enough or I will run OOM on every pull. The only heal I have that feels like it gives me a good value for my time and mana is Wild Growth, which probably means it's going to be nerfed soon.

I'm not ready to say that the new healing system is broken or unplayable or any thing like that. Maybe it's just a druid thing, or maybe some thing still needs to "click" before I start to enjoy it.
Edited by Ndamunkong on 12/12/2010 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
cast Lifebloom x3 (tank);
if (tank damage > LB healing) cast nourish (tank);
else cast lifebloom (tank)

if (party damage) {
__cast wild growth;
__if (party damage != low) {
____pick a target in the middle of the party;
____cast rejuv then swiftmend on that target;
____cast rejuv on whoever isn't in the eff area;
__}
__if (high single target damage) cast HT;
}

And that's druid healing.
Edited by Xanadius on 12/12/2010 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yes, it does.

It also feels desk-smashingly frustrating, largely due to specific druid issues.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It's definitely spammy, just not as spammy when it comes to 1 spell.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well I actually like the ne model of healing. I would say it is more spammy, but thats when groups take serious dmg. I'm starting to realize the difference with my heroic gear though as I have a decent combat mana regen with procs etc. It takes a bit of time to get use to, but as gear comes it gets easier.

Also remember tanks are not really supposed to be topped off most of the time. I let tanks pool around 70-85k if groups are taking lots of dmg and to also regen some mana.
Reply Quote
63 Orc Shaman
Holy Light spam all the time. It's like an auto attack - still not at the point where I can Holy Light spam forever though.

The strategy comes from choosing when Holy Light spam is a bad idea, my weakness is this, I spam Holy Light too much and eventually fall too far behind and cannot keep everyone up :s Whether or not you should use Divine Light or Flash of Light or Holy Radiance or your cooldowns, I kind of like how Divine Plea cannot just be cast on cooldown due to the huge MS effect it has - it adds to the strategic value of the skill.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]