There is nothing wrong with healing!

85 Human Priest
I’ve spent a good deal of time today reading through the forums and it seems that every single healing class (yes, even the pallys) is QQ’ing about how healing is damaged. Ok guys and galls, let me tell you this: There is absolutely nothing wrong with healing in Cata. FACT!

“He must be mad!” you think, but hear me out.

Healing has changed, and healers can no longer carry groups through the dungeon (neither can tanks nor dps by the way). We now have to work together, as a team. You all remember how to do that, right?

I will bet each and every one of the people whining about how bad healing is that they will admit that their wrong, if they were to run with a group that does appropriate crowd control, pops their cooldowns, stands out of the fire, and focus fires. Fact is, the vast majority of groups don’t do this, even more so in PUGs.

Healing is not broken, but tanks and dps need to use their utilities as well. Tell dps to turn off recount (or whatever they are using), they need to be doing more than damage. The tank needs to do more than create threat, if he has interrupts he should use them whenever he can. There's much more to each role than there has been for a long time. People will need time to get used to that.

Healing is not broken, it’s peoples attitude that the healer has to keep them alive, while they go on playing like they did in WotLK, when they out geared heroics by up to two tiers.
News flash: for the vast majority of players normal 5-mans are exactly what they are geared for! Only a minority of players are geared for heroics as yet. You no longer out gear content. Do heroics feel like trying to down the LK on 25-man heroic mode? That’s because it’s meant to! That’s what you are geared for!!!!

If you are not convinced yet, then please think about the following:

• Everyone needs to be at full health by the end of a pull. This is not the case. As long as people survive, you have done your job as a healer remarkably well. As long as anyone survives, you have done your job!

• I need to be at full mana by the end of the pull. No, no, no and no. If you need to drink after very pull, then so be it! There is nothing wrong with that. The instances are not meant to be chain pulled!

• I should not need to use my cooldowns on trash. Yes you do! If you have a spell on a 2 min CD, then in a 30 minute dungeon, you should have used it 10-15 times!

• Spamming one or two spells does not cut the mustard anymore. You will need to use all the tools available to you. That means damage reducing spells, CC, interrupts, etc.

• So in conclusion, healing is not broken, it’s the mentality that healers and non-healers have developed over the past few months that’s “broken”. Things are not as easy as they used to be in WotLK and we no longer out-gear content. It’s an adjustment, certainly, it’s more difficult, certainly, but there’s nothing wrong with healing.
    Edited by Alida on 12/12/2010 10:27 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    85 Draenei Shaman
    Bravo!!
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Paladin
    All fine points, won't argue any of them. With that said, there isn't anything fun or exciting about the new healing model. Watching slow casting heals that heal for a tiny fraction of your targets health is frustrating to no end.

Is the new healing model challenging? Yes.

Is the new healing model fun? Not to me.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Priest
    All fine points, won't argue any of them. With that said, there isn't anything fun or exciting about the new healing model. Watching slow casting heals that heal for a tiny fraction of your targets health is frustrating to no end.

Is the new healing model challenging? Yes.

Is the new healing model fun? Not to me.

It's a shame you feel that way. Really, I mean that. Nothing is more disappointing than losing fun in doing something you like.

However, you make a good point in your last statement. "Not to me". I reckon everyone has to define what is "fun" for themselves. Personally, I love the new game play, but that was not the point of my OP
    Reply Quote
    90 Gnome Priest
    I think ur really silly for 2 reasons. 1) Ur not 85 2) With ur class (priest) and current system will be IMPOSSIBLE to heal an Heroic, plz feel free to shut my mouth telling me u managed to do so and u will earn my respect (if u do so plz put in youtube so i can learn from the master). I f not plz shut up it only get worse and worse with every lvl.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Warrior
    It's not the amount of healing or what or who gets healed or who interrupts or who pops a cool down or if everyone does it all correctly. Its about the mana pools. Every boss has some sort of AoE that is completely unavoidable or some sort of AoE that will still initially hit melee even if they move out of it immedietly.

When it comes to healing you can do one of two things.

You can implement either:

A) Have the ability the cast a lot of small heals without every looking at your mana bar.

B) Big heals with a fast cast but burn mana quickly.

Blizzard has put in both of those and added in larger cast times. These two implementations cannot co-exist with each other unless they are scaled.

At 85 my prot warrior has 160k hp when buffed. Even during a part of the encounter when i have shield wall up, tanks will still take unavoidable 40k hits while the boss AoEs down the group.

Healers today are doing lower heals than they were at 80. Yet the tanks health tripled and the damage from bosses tripled. It seems as if blizzard forgot the scaling.

Even if this is working as intended you face several other major problems.

1) Some specific class healers are now being immedietly vote to kicked as soon as the enter the instance.

2) People are quiting the game, which causes a big loss of money.

3) Healers are re-rolling and the dungeon queues for people are over an hour.

Blizzard...these remarks about "the game not being hard enough" before you released cataclysm, were understood wrong. We didn't ask for you to nerf healers. We asked for you to buff the mechanics of fights. You did both. Either do one or the other.

Theres a simple way to fix this. Buff mechanics and scale the healers to the dps and tanks scale. All we asked for was the buff the mechanics of bosses so that noobs couldn't just have epics. We didn't want you to smack healers in the face for no reason.
    Reply Quote
    1 Human Paladin
    Well you're in the wrong forum. Post in the tank and DPS forums. Sure Blizzard wants us to be conservative with our mana....but the tanks and DPS won't let us. It's no fun to have to heal 1/2 million+ HP when your most efficient spell heals 6-8k and takes 2.3 seconds to cast, while our "big" heals land for 20k and suck up our mana and takes even longer to cast.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Priest
    I think ur really silly for 2 reasons. 1) Ur not 85 2) With ur class (priest) and current system will be IMPOSSIBLE to heal an Heroic, plz feel free to shut my mouth telling me u managed to do so and u will earn my respect (if u do so plz put in youtube so i can learn from the master). I f not plz shut up it only get worse and worse with every lvl.

I'm not sure why you need to be so aggressive/offensive in your reply, but I'll respond anyway.

1) I'm not level 83 yet, true, but then I've never claimed otherwise. I actually do expect things to get more challenging at higher levels. Is that not what things are meant to be like. It would be weird if they got easier. And I'm sure I'll riser to the challenge, and will let you know when I do so.

2) I've heard from priests that have completed heroics quite successfully. I don't have any clips I could link you to. I will share them if I find them however. And I thank you for referring to me as a master, but I am far, far from that. There are much better players than me out there, you should try and get some help from them.

And finally here's some help with your spelling:
  • "please", "plz" is incorrect

• "you are" or "you're", "ur" is incorrect

• "you", "u" is incorrect

• "I" is always capital "i" is incorrect

• Correct spelling in combination with correct grammar and punctuation will make your posts seem more credible.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Priest
    1) Some specific class healers are now being immedietly vote to kicked as soon as the enter the instance.

I've read your post, but I got the feeling that you don't quite get the points I'm making. I'll not re-iterate them, because that would be insulting your intellect. You'll understand them, if you actually want to (I have a nagging feeling though that you do not).

Anyway, the three points I've highlighted here are supporting exactly what I've said. It's not the healing that's broken, it's the players. I welcome these developments, it thins out the herd and what we will be left with is more good healers and less mediocrity (and before I hear more people going on about the fact that I'm not at 85 yet. Perhaps I will be one of those that give up. You never know.)
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Priest
    Well you're in the wrong forum. Post in the tank and DPS forums. Sure Blizzard wants us to be conservative with our mana....but the tanks and DPS won't let us. It's no fun to have to heal 1/2 million+ HP when your most efficient spell heals 6-8k and takes 2.3 seconds to cast, while our "big" heals land for 20k and suck up our mana and takes even longer to cast.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps this should have been posted in the dps/tank forum, but I don't see them QQ'ing about healing. Maybe that's worth thinking about...
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Druid
    12/12/2010 10:44 PMPosted by Hobcaw
    It's not the amount of healing or what or who gets healed or who interrupts or who pops a cool down or if everyone does it all correctly. Its about the mana pools. Every boss has some sort of AoE that is completely unavoidable or some sort of AoE that will still initially hit melee even if they move out of it immedietly.

When it comes to healing you can do one of two things.

You can implement either:

A) Have the ability the cast a lot of small heals without every looking at your mana bar.

B) Big heals with a fast cast but burn mana quickly.

Blizzard has put in both of those and added in larger cast times. These two implementations cannot co-exist with each other unless they are scaled.

At 85 my prot warrior has 160k hp when buffed. Even during a part of the encounter when i have shield wall up, tanks will still take unavoidable 40k hits while the boss AoEs down the group.

Healers today are doing lower heals than they were at 80. Yet the tanks health tripled and the damage from bosses tripled. It seems as if blizzard forgot the scaling.

Blizzard...these remarks about "the game not being hard enough" before you released cataclysm, were understood wrong. We didn't ask for you to nerf healers. We asked for you to buff the mechanics of fights. You did both. Either do one or the other.

Theres a simple way to fix this. Buff mechanics and scale the healers to the dps and tanks scale. All we asked for was the buff the mechanics of bosses so that noobs couldn't just have epics. We didn't want you to smack healers in the face for no reason.

This^^

my little tiny nourish does just under 6k (plus bonus from whatever hots haha are on the person i.e. none because they are too expensive to cast)

my tank I run with now has 150k health pool.

On just ONE fight tonight in heroic Grim Batol, there was a magic debuff on him that was ticking for 10k every 2 seconds (?) ... so even just one tick would be 2 nourish casts (long slow casts). Even with dispel, it still ticked once... plus all the other crazy aoe damage that was going on.

You start casting hots.... you're oom

and don't give me some bull@#*# about dps shouldn't be taking damage. If you do, I'd say you haven't been doing heroics at all. And bottom line is casting 2 spells 90% of the time is just boring as hell.

Sadly disappointed with this... frustrated... annoyed... and wondering why I'm the ONLY healer in a guild with over 150 people in it. They all said F this and went dps. Sure I can pick and choose my group now but as GM of our guild I'm now sitting here wondering where the hell I'm going to get some healers for raids because NOBODY wants to deal with this crap.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    12/12/2010 11:13 PMPosted by Alida

Perhaps you are right, perhaps this should have been posted in the dps/tank forum, but I don't see them QQ'ing about healing. Maybe that's worth thinking about...

Um, maybe because they don't have to do it?

You're 83. Get to 85, run some heroics, and get back to us. You don't experience the true joy of the new healing model until you heal Springvale in heroic SFK.
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Shaman
    12/12/2010 10:44 PMPosted by Hobcaw

1) If there is legitimate class balance issues then those can be addressed. That does not mean that the entire system is broken when only one class cannot accomplish something. Also, I have ran with a priest healer in heroics and we have cleared them. He did have to drink more than I did when I healed and he went shadow (we had a ret paladin so replen was not the issue), so I can see there being some disparity.

2) If people are going to quit a week after the expansion then who knows how long they would last anyways and honestly I would rather not play with them if I decide to utilize the LFD tool. Honestly most of the population is still leveling at this time and have not even thought about heroics and thus there is very little lost money

3) I am glad that there are going to be a lot of re-rolls, maybe they will try a tanking class and healers can be the rarity. What is funny is our 10-man team has too many people wanting to heal and some of us are being forced to dps and probably will rotate who has to DPS.

So how do you scale the mechanics? Make them all one-shot mechanics? Make them deal a lot of burst damage and have it very binary like WotLK? Sounds pretty boring. Quite honestly what they did prevents noobs from just having epics.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Priest
    Ok, here are the facts:

If heals can't manage, there would be no one who could finish any instances these days.
    There are no threads I can find that QQ about not being able to finish instances (normal or heroic) because heals are broken.

Conclusion: There are some that manage (and that's not just pallys). If you can't manage to heal an instance it is either you groups fault, your fault or a combination thereof.

This has nothing to do with me not bein level 85 or not. These are hard cold facts.

The fact that healing is probably the most difficult role there is at the moment does discurrage people from playing it, but then this puts you in a prime position. Learn to love it! or respec to dps and learn to live with queues!
    Reply Quote
    51 Worgen Druid
    At low levels, SFK in places and the deadmines are just crazy hard to heal. It's not that I'm a bad healer, I know I'm not. But just the mechanics of those places destroy me. I know theyre making us have to conserve mana, for druids at least this isn't so much as a case of conserve, but more of a who am I letting die?
    For now my HoTs are good, I hear later they wont scale, I am not looking forward to that. Healing with bandaids on a tank with 50k health down isn't going to work.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest
    I agree with the OP.

People crying "you're not 85" are just silly.

It's new, all of it, so there are going to be growing pains and everyone is going to have to deal with it.

It will all work out in the end.

We are all going to be playing this version of WoW for the next year or more most likely so if you can't wait for things to get better, or familiar, it then maybe this game isn't for you. Go Counterstrike if you need instant gratification.
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Shaman
    12/12/2010 11:18 PMPosted by Eudaemonea

On just ONE fight tonight in heroic Grim Batol, there was a magic debuff on him that was ticking for 10k every 2 seconds (?) ... so even just one tick would be 2 nourish casts (long slow casts). Even with dispel, it still ticked once... plus all the other crazy aoe damage that was going on.

You start casting hots.... you're oom

and don't give me some bull@#*# about dps shouldn't be taking damage. If you do, I'd say you haven't been doing heroics at all. And bottom line is casting 2 spells 90% of the time is just boring as hell.

What fight in Grim Batol is hard to heal? That is definitely an instance where the vast majority of the boss mechanics are not only avoidable but so easily and obviously avoidable. The only boss I can think that is difficult in healing is Forgemaster Throngus but even then the damage can be avoided.
    Reply Quote
    85 Dwarf Priest
    12/12/2010 10:59 PMPosted by Alida

I'm not sure why you need to be so aggressive/offensive in your reply, but I'll respond anyway.

1) I'm not level 83 yet, true, but then I've never claimed otherwise. I actually do expect things to get more challenging at higher levels. Is that not what things are meant to be like. It would be weird if they got easier. And I'm sure I'll riser to the challenge, and will let you know when I do so.

2) I've heard from priests that have completed heroics quite successfully. I don't have any clips I could link you to. I will share them if I find them however. And I thank you for referring to me as a master, but I am far, far from that. There are much better players than me out there, you should try and get some help from them.

And finally here's some help with your spelling:
  • "please", "plz" is incorrect

• "you are" or "you're", "ur" is incorrect

• "you", "u" is incorrect

• "I" is always capital "i" is incorrect

• Correct spelling in combination with correct grammar and punctuation will make your posts seem more credible.

I really only replied to this thread to point out that you, sir, are an @$$shole. You can't form a proper argument so you instead personally insult the poster rather then make a constructive and helpful post. Real classy.

That being said, I'm a priest healer, my gears not that great and I have yet to attempt heroics. I'm drinking ever pull and often times I have to choose which DPS I'm going to let die so I can get a heal on the tank.

It's a little frustrating, yes - But I know it's the mindset of the players. With a guild run it goes smoothly because we're all in vent or know each other and have the patience to wait for a healer to drink and if we wipe we don't blame each other we sit there and figure out what the hell the boss did to kill us.

I've been a healer since wrath started, rolled my priest shortly after my hunter got to 80 and I've enjoyed it ever since.

This is an expansion and we're back at square one, I know that all I need to do it get better gear and trade up the leveling greens for blues and other gear that will give me better itemized stats and I can ditch some of the +hit gear that I have.

If anything, Cataclysm hasn't turned me away from healing, so I'm looking forward to healing my guild through cataclysm's raids and the future that the game holds. I have however been turned off pugs.

With a group that actually sits there and knows what to do and understands thats is going to happen we've had pulls where I was at half mana and the party was topped off, other pulls dps dies and the tank is sitting at 10%.

@*!# happens, learn from it. besides, by tier 13 gear heroics will be just like wrath, we'll be laughing as we run them for our free badges.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Priest
    I really only replied to this thread to point out that you, sir, are an @$$shole. You can't form a proper argument so you instead personally insult the poster rather then make a constructive and helpful post. Real classy.

Sorry, did I offend you in some form or another? I actually tried to stay rather neutral here and not let my own opinion drive my arguments, but rathre look at the facts.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]