Cataclysm PvE Holy Paladin Theorycrafting

85 Human Rogue
12/13/2010 1:07 PMPosted by Lylthe
First, 100% haste does NOT mean everything is instant cast. It means you cast 100% more spells, or your cast time is cut in half. That's why we divide.

yeah yeah yeah iv heard this a million times......they always mention that in every single guide like the same exact way.
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
Updates complete for 4.0.6
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
02/15/2011 2:40 PMPosted by Venissa
Wow, how much time did you spend on this? I figured out pally healing the first 2 min of cata. Big waste of time reading all that. Read all you want, but nothing beats first hand xp

Really? Why are you on forums then? This is an awesome post. GTFO
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
@Vision
So assuming and using everything that I have learned as a Holy Pali is it correct to assume that the following spec is accurate and viable to raid with?

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#scIbzrduudzhbZcb

I'm still getting enough HP from ToR that its still worth getting for me.

The spec I recommend still has a 25 yard judge, which has been sufficient for me.

Here are my latest Cho'gall 10 pulls, which has a fair amount of HP generation from ToR.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-lr8df9entb7ldtno/details/6/?enc=bosses&boss=43324
Edited by Lylthe on 2/15/2011 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Your #2 healing is labeled "Other". What is that exactly?
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
Other is the sum of all the other spells not explicitly listed:

Other - 26%

WoG - 7.3%
Mastery Shields - 5.8%
PotI - 5.6%
HL - 4.9%
LoH - 1.5 %
EJ - .5%
FoL - .3%
SoI - .2%

There's some rounding errors though.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I see thank you very much.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Dealing with some things about conviction uptime on the last page.

Assuming you get off 8 cast in 15 seconds (Reasonable with a 2 second cast time and HS/Flashes/ All other instant cast) the probability to crit once would be

1-(1-Crit Chance)^8

Crit chance must be the % in decimal form.

Assuming ~25% crit raid buffed, it would look like the following.
1-(1-.25)^8 which is ~90% chance of critting to keep your conviction up.

Assuming 30% crit raid buffed, it would look like the following
1-(1-.3)^8 which is a ~94.2% chance of critting to keep conviction up.

Assuming 50% crit raid buffed, it would look like the following
1-(1-.5)^8 which is a ~99.6% chance of critting to keep conviction up.

Assuming 1% crit (not possible, I know, this is theoretical), it would look like the following
1-(1-.01)^8 which is a ~8% chance to keep conviction up

As you can see, crits value decreases in terms of keeping conviction up dramatically as it gets higher. Looking at this, in my opinion, anything over 30% is excessive to keep up conviction.
Reply Quote
37 Blood Elf Warlock
PotI generates Conviction, as does Enlightened Judgments afaik. So that 8 spells in 15s is a min of 16 chances to crit.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/17/2011 12:42 PMPosted by Faelyne
PotI generates Conviction, as does Enlightened Judgments afaik. So that 8 spells in 15s is a min of 16 chances to crit.

I completely forgot, thanks, let me fix that.

1-(1-Crit Chance)^ 16

15% Crit Chance=~92.6% Chance to Crit in 15 Seconds
20% Crit=~97.2%
25% Crit=~99%
30% Crit=~99.7%
50% Crit=~99.998%
1% Crit=~14.9%

These numbers in reality are even higher due to LoD causing procs too. Reanalyzing these numbers, 20% crit should be enough to reliably keep up Conviction. With the base Crit chance, plus Crit from intellect and raid buffs, this makes almost any crit on gear not necessary to keep up Conviction.
Edited by Nycgangsta on 2/17/2011 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Anyone else considered changing thier meta to the new 54int/3%crit? Gain 40 int from 2 more red gems, so it would be a throughput increase two ways, and thus may even be a mana saving measure by increasing throughput of HS/HL.
Reply Quote
37 Blood Elf Warlock
02/17/2011 8:29 PMPosted by Rathimis
Anyone else considered changing thier meta to the new 54int/3%crit? Gain 40 int from 2 more red gems, so it would be a throughput increase two ways, and thus may even be a mana saving measure by increasing throughput of HS/HL.

I had forgotten about this gem, I will have to do some math later. We already have 2 meta gems worth using, yea the old WotLK one is still a valid choice. My initial suspicions are that it is the 3rd best one, but that is just based purely off of gut instinct.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
From a throughput perspective, the new meta wins. But is it worth the loss of the 2.1k mana? Prolly a toss up. I'm thinking of switching, if I dont have mana problems, I think it will be a gain.
40 more int. Harder hitting crits. More crit. Lil more mastery. 40 less haste.... Idk, have to try it. I feel like my role is more the big oh @*#@ life saving heal, this would buff that heal.
Reply Quote
72 Human Paladin
I've been following this thread for awhile now and I first want to say that it has been very useful, even at my level. I did have a question though about conviction uptime. Since we are judging on cool down for mana anyway, would speccing 1/2 or 2/2 in Arbiter of Light make a significant difference? I have it for my questing "shockadin" spec and Judgement certainly procs Conviction, but others in this thread are far better at crunching the numbers than I am. I figure it would boil down to what you would have to give up for it in the first place. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I seem to be having a dilemma with haste.. I saw the posts recommending to have between 700-800, so I reforged to bring my mastery and crit up a little. But looking at Lylthe's profile, I see tons of haste.. Is that your preference?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
That's what I figured, guess i'll see how this works this week in raiding and adjust accordingly, thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
A lesser used glyph you might add to your Major Glyphs section is Glyph of Divine Protection.

I will generally use this glyph if the fight features a heavy magical burst and either relatively light tank healing or raid healing roles. I switch out Divinity and LoD respectively.

The glyph is amazing for healing the add tank on Heroic or Normal Nefarion. Using Hand of Sac as a tank CD with no bubble during electrocute can result in you dying, even with the standard 20% DProt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]