Cataclysm PvE Holy Paladin Theorycrafting

85 Tauren Paladin
why do paladin keep getting nerfed , u figure the way some tanks are healers all around should get buffed
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
lol

Word of Glory now has a 20 sec cooldown.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
i seen nothing on 4.1 yet, and what u mean reverting old cost, they need to up healing done by spells or lower mana by a ton
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
The 4.1 initial changes have been posted on the WoW main page.

I'm not really sure what to think about reverting the spell costs. People were complaining that paladins were too efficient and I don't know why they're reverting the old change.

Conviction not proccing off Holy Radiance, our only periodic healing, is already live and unless they're nerfing Conviction to not proc off PotI then this is just a tooltip update.

AM+Crusader was supposed to have gone live already. Not sure why they delayed that change.

WoG with a 20 sec CD looks like a pretty harsh prot nerf, and I'm sure the tanks aren't looking forward to that. Eternal Glory now seems kind of silly to be in the prot tree with the upcoming change unless it resets the CD.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
The nerfing and high mana cost are only hurting players, it make the pally healer class a pain to play. I love my pally but the nerfing and changes are making hard for good healers to show how good they are and gonna make it a non played class like resto shammy
Reply Quote
37 Blood Elf Warlock
People complaining that paladins were too efficient were clueless. A pure HL healing situation was barley above 10 HPM, and live DL is around 6...
Reply Quote
Thanks so much for this guide! I just started working on my 83 pally who has been Prot and Ret since I made him in BC so I def needed a guide for Holy. This one gave me everything I was looking for plus pretty numbers!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I have mostly played as ret to this point but am trying to gear up for holy also so I can start healing. I'm just trying to figure out if there are certain types of main hand and off-hand items that I should be looking for?

Should I always use a sword/mace and shield or is a staff and random off-hand item fine if it has more int, etc.? I'm assuming two-handed weapons would likely never give me as much int as separate main and off-hand items. Any advice? Thanks!
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
Staffs are the only 2H weapons with int on them, and paladins can't wield staffs, so hpaladins use a MH/OH combo. And since we can't wield daggers, and no axes have int on them, that means a spell power sword or mace.

Shields are preferred (for the slight defensive bonus) but any OH with appropriate stats works. Generally, non-shield OH go to cloth casters since they can't use shields, but they still are useful for holy paladins.
Edited by Lylthe on 3/2/2011 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Oh, okay. Didn't realize we couldn't use staffs, but that makes sense now! Thanks for the info!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Lythe, correction about the haste. 774 haste does not bring you below 2 second casts for DL and HL. I am at 968 haste (7.56%) and my HL and DL are at 2.26 seconds. It brings you below 3 seconds.

When was the last time this section was updated? I'm not being a jerk, but just curious.
Edited by Warien on 3/2/2011 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
I was talking raid buffed, 9% from JotP and 5% from a raid buff. The 774 may be off by a bit due to rounding errors, but I don't expect more than a 1-2% error.

If you'd like to talk to me specifically, your best bet is to post here or send me an ingame mail. You're welcome to contact me in game, but I may be busy in raid or arena and unable to talk. Sorry if that comes off as rude. :P
Edited by Lylthe on 3/2/2011 9:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Excellent guide, I read most of it (the ones relevant to my own concerns). Thank you :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I was talking raid buffed, 9% from JotP and 5% from a raid buff. The 774 may be off by a bit due to rounding errors, but I don't expect more than a 1-2% error.

If you'd like to talk to me specifically, your best bet is to post here or send me an ingame mail. You're welcome to contact me in game, but I may be busy in raid or arena and unable to talk. Sorry if that comes off as rude. :P

What server are you on? I been doing a lot of experiementation as well. Learned somethings from playing around. Plus check out my build.

My issue right now is Valereon and Thareleon (I can't spell their names right for the life of me) in BoT. My tank is taking more damage than I can heal. I can keep up, but I am going nearly OOM. I confess that I am also doing a touch of raid healing as well as my tank, but it wasn't an issue before. My healing rotation is exactly what you wrote in your guide as well.

I had just stumbled on this guide two nights ago when I was trying to research what happened. For a while I thought there might have been a stealth nerf, but I can heal 5 man heroics just fine, without CC'ing. Could it be my tank's mitigation? My tank is a Druid Bear tank.

I'm open to suggestions. I have no problems in saying I could be doing it wrong. It will at least leave an open forum for some help.
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
If you're having trouble with tank heals on the dragons, there's probably something simple you're missing. If I had to guess, your tank was in cat spec but bear form, but I can't know that for sure. Or you're making a mistake with your spell selection.

For the twin dragons, I can't think of any reason for your tank to be taking excessive damage. I leave beacon on the tank and ignore him.

For us to provide the best help the following information would be useful:
1) Log of the fight in question. (This is the most useful)
2) Log out in holy gear.
3) Armory link of your tank.

Here's the latest 25 man kill log I have:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wxwf8jelloyhjq6o/dashboard/?s=1478&e=1844

Myself and Lecan were the holy paladins healing.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
We are doing 10 man. Do you have a log from the 10 man version? I will try and post up my log (if I can get the raid leader to post em so I may get the link).

BTW, who are the tanks in this log?

As far as the tank, his name is Temann, Lightninghoof, Alliance.
Edited by Warien on 3/3/2011 5:46 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]