Why Spirit over Intellect?

85 Blood Elf Priest
Now, I understand Spirit will still be pretty incredible and I'm saying I'll ever skimp on spirit.

However, now that Int gives you spell power it makes me wonder why you wouldn't just stack Int like crazy.

1. It gives you a healthy amount of Spell Power.

2. Gives you max mana pool to last longer in fights.

3. Gives you mana regen because of Replenishment and various % mana gains.

4. Also gives some crit.

5. Spirit won't scale with % stat increases. And certain masteries/talents scale with Int better.

I guess in my case (priest), I could see myself favoring Spirit alot more than Int as holy, while disc would obviously be all over intellect.

It just seems like Int is a godlike stat vs spirit, it does it all.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
It's my understanding that spirit > int when regen is considered.

With Cata healing as it is, regen is always what we're worried about.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Because you can't really stack Int to the exclusion of all else.

They intentionally made Int a primary stat, while Spirit is a secondary stat (like Hit, Crit, etc.). It's not really a big deal; Spirit needs to be reasonably well balanced compared to Crit, Haste and Mastery, because it's those stats that we'll be comparing on our gear. Int is just something that we get on everything.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/08/2010 8:47 PMPosted by Kashir
Because you can't really stack Int to the exclusion of all else.

They intentionally made Int a primary stat, while Spirit is a secondary stat (like Hit, Crit, etc.).

Aww i forgot about that.

12/08/2010 8:47 PMPosted by Outiluke
It's my understanding that spirit > int when regen is considered.

With Cata healing as it is, regen is always what we're worried about.

That's true, however Int giving you more throughput can also be a means of saving on mana, on top of the extra mana Int DOES give you.

I can understand the benefits of balancing Haste, Crit and Spellpower as they all multiply and synergize with eachother, although I don't really see that with Spirit and Int. I guess I'd have to see just HOW MUCH spirit gives later on in levels. Oo
Edited by Rokkru on 12/8/2010 8:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
with my resto spec/gear i have more spirit than intel the SP part of intel dosent scale to well above 80
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Spirit will never be valued higher than intellect. Anyone who thinks so is a complete moron. Thats not to say that spirit is bad, but it should never be your primary stat.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
The same reason why having only hit and no SP is a terrible idea.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I would say int is a priority over spirit, but every item is going to have int anyway.

You won't have two similar items, one with int one with spirit and have to pick. Int is going to pretty much scale with item levels, your choices will be spirit/mastery/crit/haste.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Int will come into play when gemming. Edit: And also there may come a time when you have to choose between two items that are similar but not identical, with the deciding stat being Spirit and/or Int.
Edited by Kahji on 12/9/2010 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Int is going to be on everything you wear automatically (just like str and agi for those types of items.) Spirit is going to compete with crit, mastery, haste, and hit on gear. So you technically can't choose int > spi or vice versa, that choice is made for you. :)

Now if you want spi, crit, mastery, or haste is a discussion worth having.
Reply Quote
The problem with this argument is that you don't get to choose, nor can you reforge one into the other. It's not spirit vs int. It's spirit vs crit, mastery, or haste. And ALL of those pieces will have int on them.

The typical blue is:
stam / int / spirit / mastery
or
stam / int / crit / haste

And you'll have to choose those secondary stats on whether or not you need higher delivery rate or more sustainability, and to be honest there will likely be different fights where you prefer more of one over the other.

Edit:
Int will come into play when gemming.

There's that, but it may be worth just sticking to the socket bonus colors.
Edited by Hinoishi on 12/9/2010 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]