The return of Intellect Prot Pallies for PVP?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
By the way heals are scaling, flash of light is completely useless for ret and prot right now. At 82 I have 10k mana and can only cast FoL 4 times, which doesn't even heal me from 10% to full unless I crit at least twice. At 80 I was basically a raid boss with FoL, but I knew it was going to change for the worse as we approached 100k HP.

We are now in the situation where we have to choose between 2 3 second heals. One only useful after killing a mob or player (35% heal), and the other being a BIG (read: only 25% hp) heal.

However, what if we mixed and matched holy and prot gear to get a decent mana pool to make FoL worth while? All intellect gear would be silly, because our damage would be disastrous. Although survivability would take a huge jump, and isn't that what prot is supposed to be in PVP? I wish we had a spell power based, holy power generating option for our main attack. That would make it blatantly obvious that we need to wear holy gear. Perhaps HotR should be changed so that it benefits from both spell power and attack power. Considering it does holy damage I don't see why not. SotR would be terrible, but in PVP we should be using WoG mostly anyways.

All in all I'm a little frustrated with the way our class is panning out from 80-85. I no longer see holy being a priest/druid equivalent healer in PVE. I no longer see prot and ret pallies healing at all unless it is LoH or WoG. I tested healing in a lot of duels. At 8 seconds, the only way to heal from 10% to full during bubble is with 2 DL's and a 3 HP WoG assuming at least one DL crits. It seems like bubble is now a delay of death and we are better off killing the opponent at 50% damage during it. We used to be able to bubble, attack the opponent for 4 more seconds and then heal, but that strategy is just gone.

Solution: stack haste to get a 2 second cast time on divine light OR get a big enough mana pool from holy gear to FoL at least 10 times. That probably means getting 2.5 times our base mana, which is doable with only 6-7 pieces of gear I think. I might just go all out in holy gear at 85 and see how prot PVP works with that.

Thoughts on this?
Reply Quote
12/09/2010 12:17 PMPosted by Shanaynaynay
I no longer see prot and ret pallies healing at all

I think this sort of sums up your confusion, as well as mine. When was the last time you healed anything as Prot in PvP? I know I haven't done it for the entire last expansion. With a 5500 mana pool, and DP being the only way to regen mana, I don't understand how you could have possibly been healing anything. Now we don't have to rely on DP, but our healing is still weak, and that's fine, because in PvP Prot is not a healer. We're another DPS class.

Prot's survivability doesn't come from being able to heal. It comes from high hp, high armor, carrying a shield, and damage mitigation talents. Our viability in PvP comes from this survivability, plus strong burst damage, and some measure of control through our silence and stun. If you want to heal, pick a spec that actually has talents that boost your healing. That's what Holy is there for.

Of course if this was just trolling for fun, well then well done.
Edited by Baraq on 12/9/2010 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Kylxia on 12/13/2010 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
The mana cost for Flash of Light changes as you level from 80 to 85, but the number of times you can cast Flash of Light before you OOM should remain the same. It cost 27% of base mana to cast FoL at level 80. Unless I am uninformed, it still costs 27% base mana to cast FoL at level 85.
Reply Quote
12/09/2010 4:30 PMPosted by Rocmon
since as prot my dps just down right sucks

This is why it's unwise to stack +int as a Prot pally. As Prot, your burst should be plenty respectable. Provided you can stay in melee range, ShoR should be coming up about every 10.5 seconds with our Holy Power generated from CS/HoR. In PvP at 80, mine was crit'ing for about 15K on 1K+ resil targets(in my ret PvP gear). AS crits were slightly lower. That is more than enough burst to be competitive in a PvP DPS role.

Prot is designed to scale much better off of AP than SP, subsequently making strength a much better stat to stack. Spec'ing Prot and stacking Int is simply going to gimp you to the point where you can't heal or deal damage well. As someone else mentioned, this is intended, as Blizz has stated that they will change things if unintended gear/spec combinations become optimal. While I personally support the notion of creative gear/spec choices, Blizz seems very opposed to them anymore.

Basically, unless something drastic changes in the way Prot is designed, stacking Int is a bad idea. You are just going to end up with disappointing healing and disappointing damage.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/09/2010 12:17 PMPosted by Shanaynaynay
Solution: stack haste to get a 2 second cast time on divine light OR get a big enough mana pool from holy gear to FoL at least 10 times. That probably means getting 2.5 times our base mana, which is doable with only 6-7 pieces of gear I think. I might just go all out in holy gear at 85 and see how prot PVP works with that.

Thoughts on this?

Stacking Haste?

Really poor idea. Haste down not help anything for Prot except faster cast-time heals.
1. Haste does not benefit any of our melee abilities or insta-ranged attack abilities.
2. Haste does not benefit our insta-cast WoG heals.

I think part of the problem people have is they are comparing their 80 experience with full epic 80 gear with their experience in greens/blues before 85.

My guess at 85 is no stats will make sense for Prot mechanics aside from Str and Resil, based on our class mechanics, which do not change from 80 to 85.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]