Disc Healing Advice

90 Undead Priest
Let me open this thread by first saying that if you plan on telling me to respec Holy, you're responses will be instantly disregarded.

I will be the first to admit that I'm a Wrath healer. I have no experience outside of Wrath content as a healer other than my time leveling from 15+ as a healer. For this reason, I will not at all claim to be a good healer.

I've spoken with a number of my guildmates, however, who were Vanilla and TBC healers, and they've assured me that I'm versatile, and that I do make use of all the tools I have. Even healing ICC, I made use of as many spells as I could because I liked having as much going on as possible.

That all being said, even having not touched heroics, I'm really not taking well to the new healing model, and I'm not trying to point fingers, but I'm really seeing a lack of throughput. Combine that with going OOM on every boss and most trash pulls, and healing has become a nightmare for me.

I'm hoping to open this up to people who can give me some constructive criticism or even just assure me that the problem is not entirely on me. I've read plenty of the threads about how "broken" healing is, but I don't want to be that guy who just shouts "FIX THIS NAOW OR I QUIT!"

All I can attest to at this point is that, try as I might, I cannot find a healing strategy that is effective, even when the tank and DPS are doing what they should.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Use more heal, use more renew on the tank in heal chakra getting refreshed by the heal, see if holy word will heal it before resorting to greater heal, and see if greater heal will heal it before resorting to flash heal.

For AOE, use more prayer of healing, remember the fact that circle of healing is actually less efficient and less HPS than POH in a 5 man. I suggest glyphing POH. Use PROM wisely, don't use it on every single pull, I prefer to wait till at least two guys are under about 90% and I know they will keep taking damage, so that I know PROM will bounce between them rather than bouncing straight off the tank to a mage sitting in ice barrier at a safe range taking no damage.

Finally, moar spirit gear.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
And now for some Discipline advice!

- Don't hesitate to get POM out there, it's quite efficient even only healing one target, and it makes for a solid instant heal when the tank has Weakened Soul.

- Penance at every chance when it won't overheal, and if the incoming damage is consistent for the moment, consider stopping Healing (or Smiting) to get a full Penance on the tank.

- Remember Greater Heal reduces Inner Focus's cooldown. In almost any situation you might want to Flash, you can get away with a Greater, at least on a target that you've just Shielded (hurray, Borrowed Time).

- Prayer of Healing is really, really good.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I'm not holy. I'm not going holy. That was the point of this thread.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Believe, thank you for keeping to the point.

That being said, PoM is habitually burned every cooldown onto the tank. Penance is the same way.

As for flash, I've removed it from my psychoanalysis other than when my Smite crits proc my free, instant one.

PoH I used to really like, but it doesn't seem to be scaling at all, much in the same way my other heals aren't.
Reply Quote
88 Goblin Priest
I was also a disc healer in Wrath but recently switched to Holy. It made me sad! I believe that disc is going to be a spec that scales much better with higher level gear than Holy does. That is just how the game works alot of times though. 1 spec is a little underpowered and you have to move to another to compensate. If it helps any at all, Holy is much more complex and you really dont lose a lot by going to Holy at this point outside of your Pain Suppresion and Barrier. Penance is good but you get a low cost spell to counteract that as well. Additionally, your shield goes from absorbing 10k damage to 8k. Not a huge difference. I forsee a hotfix to balance this spec out. When I went to holy my problems went away. Hope this helps a little.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
12/09/2010 6:44 PMPosted by Sausagefan
4) Divine Hymn is worthless. Like Flash Heal, unless you're near the end and you just need some last second healing, this is not worth the large mana cost.

Gotta disagree here. It costs 33% more than Greater Heal, and gives you 12 Flash Heals. It's probably Discipline's most efficient heal.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
12/09/2010 6:28 PMPosted by Xinphreak
PoH I used to really like, but it doesn't seem to be scaling at all, much in the same way my other heals aren't.

The Divine Aegis procs make it fantastic for things like the earth guys in the first section of Stonecore, or the pulse damage from a lot of the final bosses in Halls of Origination. It's definitely inferior for straight-up healing, and if the DPS aren't continuing to take damage, you'll want to consider leaving them alone until time permits you to not use Penance on the tank.

Bah, meant to edit this into the other one.
Edited by Believe on 12/9/2010 7:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Oh lordy now I understand why so many people are having trouble with mana

Face, meet palm.

12/09/2010 6:24 PMPosted by Believe
- Don't hesitate to get POM out there, it's quite efficient even only healing one target,

No it isn't, it's low on both HPM and HPS unless it bounces.

That being said, PoM is habitually burned every cooldown onto the tank.

PRoM into the tank on CD is generally a waste (see above) unless it is being consumed or nearly consumed and trapped under a bubble before coming off CD, as for POH, see below.

[quote="14063055815"]
4) Divine Hymn is worthless. Like Flash Heal, unless you're near the end and you just need some last second healing, this is not worth the large mana cost.

Also, PoH and ProM are very expensive for the healing done now. I want to be sure I'll get a few bounces from ProM before I use it. I very rarely use PoH without Inner Focus or Power Infusion up, usually only in emergencies where I know the fight is going to be over soon.[/quote]

Divine hymn is ridiculously efficient and heals a ridiculous amount. It's may cost a lot but you can be damn sure it heals a lot more.

And PoH is also amazingly efficient and great HPS. If 3 targets need healing, then it costs less than 3 heals, heals more than 3 heals, and does it al 3x faster. If more than three targets need healing it becomes even more ridiculously good. And this is as holy, since you are disc, you get guaranteed 30% divine aegis proc as well, it's good to a frankly broken extent for you.

Edit: can't get the third quote to work :<
Edited by Cybele on 12/9/2010 11:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Plenty of good advice here.

You should macro Inner Focus and PoH together.

/cast Inner Focus
/cast [@mouseover] Prayer of Healing

If you use vuhdo try this

/cast Inner Focus
/cast [target=vuhdo] Prayer of Healing

Healbot can use macros like that too, but I forget the name for hb's mouseover. I think it's hbtarget, surely someone else in here will know for sure.

Yes, the PoH will still go off even if IF is on CD, but this will make you so much more mana effecient.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
12/09/2010 11:54 PMPosted by Cybele

That being said, PoM is habitually burned every cooldown onto the tank.

PRoM into the tank on CD is generally a waste unless it is being consumed or nearly consumed and trapped under a bubble before coming off CD, as for POH, see below.

Having PoM use most of its bounces is not at all a problem. My shields at this point get one-shotted on everyone in the group. As it stands, they just act as a buffer for me to get the tanks health up another 5k or so every 6-7 seconds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]