Healing isn't a Remedy for Ignorance

1 Draenei Hunter
I've seen a lot of healers complain about the new healing system, and specifically they seem to be most irate with how they feel too much damage is coming in relative to the healing they can put out. They feel their healing is either efficient but insignificant, or significant but resulting in an imminent shortage of mana. I read all this and feel that the crux of the issue lies in one misunderstanding: no longer is every ounce of damage the responsibility of the healer to combat.

I know it's a crazy thought, and I know that a lot of people say they get it, but it's not and I don't think most genuinely do. I believe that they believe they understand this paradigm, but I don't believe they truly understand it. The new dungeons are filled with avoidable damage -- not as an option, but as an implicit job requirement to avoid for all group members. No healer would ever expect to reasonably heal a tank through par content while they're using damage dealing gear, so why do they apparently expect to heal a damage dealer through par content while they're not minimizing their damage taken? A tank not gearing for an appropriate level of survivability isn't doing their job, and neither is any party member who isn't minimizing their intake of damage.

A damage dealer standing in front of the Stonecore Flayers in The Stonecore while they use their Flay ability? Bad. A damage dealer or healer in melee range of Ozruk in The Stonecore, while in critical condition and liable to die the next time Ground Slam occurs? Bad. A party member standing in the Hurricane the Turbulent Squalls in Vortex Pinnacle cast? Bad. A party member not using cooldowns to survive and burst down the Skyfall Stars in Vortex Pinnacle? Bad. A group member not moving to your Healing Rain or [insert similar healing ability] when they need healing? Bad. A balance druid not using Tranquility in a particularly perilous moment? Bad. The list goes on and on, and on that list are examples from each dungeon, and from most individual encounters from those dungeons.

You know what? This is great for the game. Sure, both healers and the other roles are going to have to learn themselves up on encounter mechanics for even normal dungeons, but that's the cost of more interesting and challenging dungeons for all roles. I stress "all", because for much of Wrath, damage dealers got a free pass. This wasn't fun for most damage dealers, and made the game really boring in a lot of situations. Now, not only do damage dealers have to contribute to the overall success of the group in more ways than just punching in their rotation, but they get to. You can't compensate for them not doing their job, though a good healer can compensate for slightly sub-par damage dealers. However, for the first time in a long time, damage dealers can actually compensate for a slightly sub-par healer in the same fashion. The responsibility has been spread around, and so has the control each member has over the overall success of any dungeon run.

I'm not saying there aren't any encounters that are tuned too tightly, but for the most part we're not in need of better healing or weaker encounters. What we're in need of is enlightenment. Healing isn't a remedy for ignorance, but information is. Healers need to learn the encounters and understand the abilities they'll be facing -- not just to better prepare themselves for their role, but also so they may confidently explain to the dead damage dealer exactly why any healing deficiency is not to blame for his death. Once enough healers start telling him to piss off, he'll eventually learn.
Edited by Mayeli on 12/9/2010 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
That was eloquently put.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I've had a lot of trouble in the new normal 5 mans. I was expecting this, and I think that it is A Good Thing for the game overall.

However, I think we all know that Blizzard's next move will be determined by the amount of public outcry expressed on these forums, and elsewhere. If enough people disagree with the changes, and are vocal enough about it, the bar will be lowered.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Correct. Also thankyou for writing a "dry" thread. :)

As a most basic example. People are seeing large spikes of damage and comparing it to wrath's damage spikes.
What they are not seeing is the extended 'downtime' between the bursts where they're given a grace period to heal it back.
Wrath was BANG BANG BANG BANG
Cata is BANG PAUSE BANG PAUSE PAUSE BANG

Also as a general rule. If anyone including the tank is taking unhealable damage. They're doing something wrong. Could be CC. Standing in the fire. Not interrupting a spell cast.

The only legitimate issue that anyone has brought up. Is that people still blame the healer. Unfortunately it can only be fixed with time. Ironically these changes, while they make it worse now. Will do more than wrath ever did to fix this mindset over time.

I love my bangs.
Reply Quote
88 Goblin Priest
Well put sir. This is the way the game was meant to be played. The mentality in WOTLK for new players or undergeared players was "Oh you want to go to ToC or Ulduar in blues? No problem! Just go in as DPS". Those days are over. Now the DPS actually have an expectation other than high numbers.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
/golfclap
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Also as a general rule. If anyone including the tank is taking unhealable damage. They're doing something wrong. Could be CC. Standing in the fire. Not interrupting a spell cast.

Indeed. I wonder how many people even know that you can entirely avoid the damage from Quake, that the Crystalspawn Giants of The Stonecore use, by jumping right as the cast completes? There are so many little things you can do in the dungeons to avoid damage, that I honestly have to give kudos to the designers because of it. They really have done a fantastic job of giving all roles a chance to shine and allow their skill and knowledge of the encounter mechanics to express themselves. For the first time in a long time, I've started adding exceptional players -- of all roles -- to my friends list for future runs. I like that.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/09/2010 8:30 PMPosted by Mayeli
Indeed. I wonder how many people even know that you can entirely avoid the damage from Quake, that the Crystalspawn Giants of The Stonecore use, by jumping right as the cast completes? There are so many little things you can do in the dungeons to avoid damage, that I honestly have to give kudos to the designers because of it. They really have done a fantastic job of giving all roles a chance to shine and allow their skill and knowledge of the encounter mechanics to express themselves. For the first time in a long time, I've started adding exceptional players -- of all roles -- to my friends list for future runs. I like that.

Except even a tiny bit of lag makes that quake (and, more pressingly, static cling in heroic VP) unavoidable. I try to jump them every cast. I DO jump before, and am in the air as the cast finishes, every single time. The amount of time it works? Maybe a third. Maybe.

I just got done running Heroic Halls, VP, and Lost City. In all three of them, we DPS avoided as much damage as we possibly could. and in all three, my wife, healing us, ran oom long before the bosses died. We managed to finish the encounters (after a few wipes) because we a. got lucky. b. had me helping to heal, and c. had a tank who knew how to pop cooldowns, knew how to keep healing the group with his word of glories, and a group who knew how to adapt. The new healing model is a good IDEA, but terribly implemented. There is tons of avoidable damage, and plenty that SHOULD be avoidable, but simply isn't. Try out heroics, take a look for yourself.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Except even a tiny bit of lag makes that quake unavoidable.

Jump downhill.

After doing every heroic, I can say with confidence that my earlier sentiments stand strong. There isn't a single heroic encounter where good play won't garner a victory. Many encounters are actually far too easy, in my opinion. The last boss in Vortex Pinnacle and the second boss in The Stonecore come to mind.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
excellent post, very much what I've been trying to say on these forums in several threads.

Healers need to stop blaming themselves for the failures of others.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]