Grow as a player/you are not good right now.

90 Human Warrior
So I had a rather depressing look about all the forums to see the general playerbase and their reaction to cata, specifically cata hardmodes. I saw pretty much EXACTLY what I expected coming in. I have only one main message to all of you out there:

No matter your wotlk achievements
No matter your personal thoughts on your own skill
No matter what your guild says
No matter the amount of time you have played your class

You. Are. Able. To. Be. Better.

Throughout what I read on this forum, I see posts up like "I did blah blah hard mode achievements and no matter what I did there is no conceivable way to heal heroic stonecore" and I facepalm. Take a look at my achievements if you need credentials. Ive got many of the heroics already down, and ive got gladiator. Ive healed many 85 heroics on a friends shaman, and ive also dps'd them. Building the tank set. Throughout my experience, I learned one main thing: YOU CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER. and by extension, a smart player HELPS OTHERS GET BETTER.

But this just in: HEROICS ARE NOT DIFFICULT TO HEAL WITH SMART PLAYERS. The healing role doesn't come down to just you; the dps needs to mitigate all dmg, the tank needs to play smart, etc. To say you cannot possibly do a heroic is a downright lie, and you are so firmly stuck in your wotlk ways that you cant see that/refuse to believe that your failings in heroics are due to personal fault. And when I say personal fault, I don't just mean using the wrong heal or not using keybindings, I mean not telling your partners to correct X and Y, not informing them that every boss in the stonecore will 1 shot you if you mess up, not telling them to use CDs on trash, etc.

"But Broxis, my dps running into that aoe and dying isn't my fault!" -of course its not, but it IS your fault if you spend all day with the same idiots after they fail twice in a row. Kick them. Treat heroics as you would a heroic raid. Failure doesn't cut it, and if you get with a player who cant wrap their head around playing smart, don't play with them.

I realize I may be embracing elitism and whatnot for those of you who just want to play with your friends. If that's the case, you simply need to realize that a blue/purple means much more than it used to; you will have to accept that you cannot get these items without looking at your mistakes and fixing them.

TL;DR: you are not a perfect player, help your teammates improve or just don't play with them.

Thats all. Sorry if this came off as a rant; I really do want to see the playerbase improve to the point that they can handle these heroics and learn that avoiding dmg on the ground really does matter.
Edited by Broxis on 12/10/2010 9:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Warlock
8/10 the average player doesn't get the chance to roll with guild mates or smart pick ups. Pug groups with the WOTLK mindset are what's causing frustration for many. Cata heroics really aren't that much different from BC heroics back in the day.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I tried to avoid saying the whole "tbc was like this lol deal with it" thing because it somewhat undermined my original point by making it seem like yet another nostalgia "BACK IN THE DAY..." post.

Just trying to get the message across: stop blaming game mechanics, tuning, and difficulty. Instead, look at what you as a player could have done better. Did clicking slow your cast by .5seconds? Did you not use a blessing of sacrifice? Could you have iceblocked that phase change in lost city? Used sprint at a better time in tol barad to reach the adds and prevent a dragon from spawning? Could your rogue have helped by blinding that caster?

Yes, tbc was closer to what cata is like right now. But even if you are a wotlk player, you can easily learn these simple changes and find yourself much more confident as a player and can in turn help other players learn too.
Edited by Broxis on 12/10/2010 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/10/2010 9:13 AMPosted by Witewulf
Ive healed many 85 heroics on a friends shaman

official blizz forums are the best place to admit to account sharing...

Did it at his house, wanted to try to get an idea of how bad healing supposedly was. If it helps, I also have a priest, but hes only an 80. Official blizz forums are also the worst place to respond to a wall of text with that nonsense. If you think my message is wrong, tell me why.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/10/2010 9:04 AMPosted by Broxis
I tried to avoid saying the whole "tbc was like this lol deal with it" thing because it somewhat undermined my original point by making it seem like yet another nostalgia "BACK IN THE DAY..." post.

Just trying to get the message across: stop blaming game mechanics, tuning, and difficulty. Instead, look at what you as a player could have done better. Did clicking slow your cast by .5seconds? Did you not use a blessing of sacrifice? Could you have iceblocked that phase change in lost city? Used sprint at a better time in tol barad to reach the adds and prevent a dragon from spawning? Could your rogue have helped by blinding that caster?

Yes, tbc was closer to what cata is like right now. But even if you are a wotlk player, you can easily learn these simple changes and find yourself much more confident as a player and can in turn help other players learn too.

The issue I have with your statement is that you are saying that healers should be holding themselves accountable, but in your earlier post, you mentioned the success for the group depends so highly on other people.

So, when a player is really good... and they fail because of others playing badly... what are we to conclude? That we blame the healer for not being better? That our frustration caused by other people is inevitably our own fault? That while the failures of others critically impacts our success, we are ultimately responsible for their mistakes?

I don't really know how I feel about that. When "What could you have done better" actually means "How could you have forced someone ELSE to be better", I think there could be issues.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Gee guys, I listened to Broxis' advice and for a while now I've been proactively telling people what they should do right, and what is wrong!

I love being verbally harrassed by kids that can't take criticism! Called a ##%#ing retard for telling them they're doing it wrong! Man, votekicks are the best!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/10/2010 9:16 AMPosted by Broxis
12/10/2010 9:13 AMPosted by Witewulf
Ive healed many 85 heroics on a friends shaman

official blizz forums are the best place to admit to account sharing...

Did it at his house, wanted to try to get an idea of how bad healing supposedly was. If it helps, I also have a priest, but hes only an 80. Official blizz forums are also the worst place to respond to a wall of text with that nonsense. If you think my message is wrong, tell me why.

....healer or gtfo of our forums. kthxbye
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/10/2010 9:26 AMPosted by Witewulf
When the social aspect of an mmo is the one thing you dread when hitting the lfd queue, something is broken.

This. Good Christ, this.
Reply Quote
87 Troll Druid
12/10/2010 8:48 AMPosted by Broxis

No matter your wotlk achievements
No matter your personal thoughts on your own skill
No matter what your guild says
No matter the amount of time you have played your class

You. Are. Able. To. Be. Better..

I agree.. the desesperation of yesterday or 2 days ago its starting to vanish...
doing dungeons with the gear required and dps not takin' unnecesarry dmg, usin CC's, etc its starting to help.

Healing its not impossible. Its a little harder.
What its a fact, its that healers are used to fix most of the raid/dungeon mistakes.
If a dps stands 5 secs on fire, there you go, healer keepin' him alive wasting unnecesary mana... etc.

But if everyone does what they are supposed to, healing gets much much easier.
Healing with my Pally looks extremely easy compared to my druid (only hearder when all party its taking aoe dmg).

Anyway, I hope we can adapt...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]