The Holy Priest Guide to Cataclysm

(Locked)

90 Draenei Warrior
"The base issue is that yes, it still needs to be clicked, but with how powerful it presently is... too bad - you need to force people to use this amazing spell. In heroics, it practically does all my raid healing for me."

No, I don't think so. It's the healers job to heal. I have enough to worry about dps'ing and staying out of AoE and other crap. Now you want me to keep a close eye on my health and click a lightwell regularly as well? Do u have to try and melee dps while you heal? If all we need is a lightwell then we should all have that as a spell and just do away with healers and have one more dps.

86 Goblin Priest
Yea... in wrath i was disc just like all the other priests but come cata i was struggling in heroics so much i tryed holy and hated it but then i read up on some forums and now i cant stand to dps in heroics with my disc friends healing after every fight i hear "wait up i need to drink"after every trash pull. holy is the best way to go. given disc has its strong points like my friends tell me they have more mana but i say my mana lasts 4x as long as yours'
85 Troll Priest
this thread is full of great info and perspective. I am new to Wow and I appreciate all the input from those pro as well as anti Holy. As for me, I will stay Holy. I like a thinking game and it looks like I will be guaranteed opportunities for critical thinking and decision making as a Holy. The one skill that I look forward to getting is the healing pool one. What a great sounding skill as long as your DPS aren't just a group of mouth breathing thugs.
85 Troll Priest
Lightwell = healing pool.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
blame blizzard cuz this little thing heals as much as/more that PoH WITHOUT the priest being 3 secs standing still like an idiot (specially during moving fights) and it is NOT intended for single-healing, we dont have beacons of light to clone our greater heals so its either wait to be healed by other, hope to survive a little more, or click it.....really its not as if we asked for it to be like that either
85 Blood Elf Paladin
"it's about time the dps and tanks figure that out if they want to live. Just like they need to figure out that lightwell is awesome. Healers are no longer the "sole reason" wipes happen."

i loved that....*sigh* if just half the retards out there understood it...
85 Undead Warlock
@azori

"The base issue is that yes, it still needs to be clicked, but with how powerful it presently is... too bad - you need to force people to use this amazing spell. In heroics, it practically does all my raid healing for me."

No, I don't think so. It's the healers job to heal. I have enough to worry about dps'ing and staying out of AoE and other crap. Now you want me to keep a close eye on my health and click a lightwell regularly as well? Do u have to try and melee dps while you heal? If all we need is a lightwell then we should all have that as a spell and just do away with healers and have one more dps.

Your kidding right?

It has a 20 yd range, your attitude is what makes healing harder than it needs to be.
Edited by Parka on 2/13/2011 9:36 PM PST
85 Night Elf Priest
what i dont understand is why is it soooo easy to pop ur pots or cookies? but OMG u might have to clicky a lightwell if ur too stupid/slow to move or kick? sure i will heal u, but is it really that bad to help me out when its your fault u cant react quick enuf not to take that extra damage? =)
90 Human Priest
I agree as well...there is a start rotation...mine is similar...chakra first/pom/renew-then w/e i need based on w/e happens...works like a charm til u get in a heroic where...everyones dead in first 10 seconds lol
90 Human Priest
ppl that complain about doing 1 simple thing like clicking a lightwell...need to go play runescape!....you think we have it easy watching everyones health and ours and staying outta stuff and all the other crap you guys gotta watch? we pull agro and die too...and the more i try to keep me alive the less i can keep you alive ...my first priority is the tank and myself....the rest of you get healed if A) you arent a d-bag B) you arent a dumbass C) you realize you=nada w/o these first 2 on my priority list...:) oh yeah and D) IF YOU CLICK THE LIGHTWELL......
85 Draenei Mage
02/15/2011 5:52 AMPosted by Carthel
ppl that complain about doing 1 simple thing like clicking a lightwell...need to go play runescape!....you think we have it easy watching everyones health and ours and staying outta stuff and all the other crap you guys gotta watch? we pull agro and die too...and the more i try to keep me alive the less i can keep you alive ...my first priority is the tank and myself....the rest of you get healed if A) you arent a d-bag B) you arent a dumbass C) you realize you=nada w/o these first 2 on my priority list...:) oh yeah and D) IF YOU CLICK THE LIGHTWELL......

I LOVE lightwell and don't understand what the problem is. I'm constantly juggling spells, whether I'm DPSing, CCing, interrupting, , blinking, evocating, etc. One or two clicks at my own discretion in the midst of all my other spells is well worth it. When a priest lays down a lightwell, I breathe a sigh of relief. "Hey, I can heal myself when I think I need it! What a novel idea!" The priest just basically gave me one of his healing spells and said, "Use it, if you're smart enough." I'm smart enough to include a click or two on a lightwell while I'm doing everything else. I <3 holy priests!! You rock!
90 Night Elf Priest
There - a location. The bad dps stand over there in the fire.

Their - a possession. It is their own fault if the dps stands in the fire and die.

They're - a conjunction of They are. They are going to die standing in the fire.

Finally, I have to argue against Lightwell. Oh it's great. But in a normal 25m raid, people are focused on their rotations, staying out of the stupid, dpsing the right thing, misdirecting, kiting, and about 50 bajilion other things. If it is between me dropping a renew on them, or letting them die and wiping the entire raid because I was too pissy that they wouldn't use the lightwell, I am going to do my JOB and proactively heal. Their job is to focus on their dps or tanking. My job is to make sure they live long enough to take down the boss. Not to stand over them wagging my finger saying "Take your vitamins... I mean click the lightwell."
90 Draenei Mage
I clicked on this "guide" because I am picking up my priest for the first time in Cataclysm, and I figured I would get some spec, glyph, common practice advice. But I can't find the "guide" part in this forum.

-Heal is your main spell.
-Lightwell is useful.
-Renew is... (I dont know, because you didnt actually talk about it, and trailed off into how DPS can remain at 50% health in heroics.)
-You have lots of spells.

I dont mean to be brash, but why is this stickied?
Edited by Cremate on 2/16/2011 11:25 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
Great post, re-enforced what I knew. I would like to know what stats to stack tho, secondary speaking. I know int is needed and you need enough spirit to keep mana bars blue, but what about haste/crit/mastery? Mastery increases hps directly and crit adds flash heal procs, haste has been a go-to stat for all classes, all the time. What do you recommend holys reforge for? And at the exense of what?
Thanks in advance for the help.
85 Night Elf Priest
" -About Healing well-

Yup!
If a 0.2 sec glance to your health bar is too much, then you have a problem... DPS-ing is a no-brainer. If you have your hotkeys set up and aren't a *clicker* (as they call them) then you are pretty much only watching out for boss damage mechanics and that's it! Wow what a job! Healers have it 3 times as bad than the dps with watching "all" raid member's health, watching their mana consuption and boss mechanics as well. As an additional (because I can save you @rses) I watch everyone else's positioning to get one of those tunnel visioning dps out of boss mechanics with LoF.

The 2 reasons I think ppl don't take lightwells
-Self-conceitedness
-Bad at multitasking. (So they simply forget)

Lightwell clicking is also about 0.5 seconds of your time (looking around for it then clicking) for around 8k heal over 6 seconds. Unless... loosing 200dps for just a loss of brief momentary glory topping the charts is more important than doing your job properly. Which is 1-Staying alive 2-Dealing damage.

Live first, to tell the tale of your own epicness... "Use Lightwell!"
Edited by Silika on 2/20/2011 7:02 AM PST
90 Gnome Mage
my welcome macro when i heal whit my priest XD

Greetings. My name is Wolfgarou and I will be your healer for this run.

Welcome to cataclysm. This is not wotlk.
For all newplayers or very retarded wotlk players... whats next is common sense.
Take this opportunity to learn it now before you get kicked or be the cause of a wipe from a raid or heroic

1- Healers wont babysit you. Stay out of the fire, poison, void zones and acidic Jell-O. If you dont il go oom or let you die!!
2- Watch your threat; make sure that your are targeting the tank target(set your assit keybind) and watch your positioning.
3- I will not heal two tanks.
4- If I am sitting to regain health/mana, you are sitting to regain health/mana. If you pull when im sitting ..il stay out of combat and let you all die
5-Lightwell!!!! is op... if you have the brain power to use it
Lightwell clicking is about 0.5 seconds of your time.

The best dps is the one that does the max damage done not damage per sec and for that you need to survive the hole fight

Just try to make my job easier and this will be fast and easy. help me help you!!! alright lets do this........
Prepare for glory!!!!
Edited by Fardochette on 2/21/2011 10:28 AM PST
Whether or not priests are at the right healing level is up to the game designers and balancers. My only objection as a player is that I feel like my priest is getting worse as I level instead of better. If this is where priests are supposed to be at 85 then you should probably make significantly harder around lvl 80. For example at lvl 81 I could spam flash heal without running out of mana, and now at 84 I doubt if can heal my own health bar. My opinion, for what its worth, is that healing was the most fun around lvl 82. also healing from lvl 60 to 82 was so easy that it was boring.
85 Goblin Priest
alright, so i went from grinding as a spriest to get my holy gear to my first attempt at holy healing in grim batol today. lets just say it didnt go so well. dps was falling and dying all over, and in the mean time i couldnt keep the tank up due to spiking of dmg with a MS (was the pull right after the second boss ring area). that being said the shammy in our guild took over healing and i went back to dps.

maybe i need more practice, or maybe im just terrible. but, any tips on healing. just in general if any. thanks.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]