The Holy Priest Guide to Cataclysm

(Locked)

85 Human Priest
G-ross
I found that if a tank and a dps start dropping low at the same time using a flash heal has a 100% chance of procing serendipity so I can cast greater heal on the tank getting them both into the safe zone.
85 Undead Priest
w\ my chakra i get up to almost 60 seconds. hehehe
85 Human Priest
Wow thanks for the info, this thread will come in handy when i hit 85

/fav
90 Night Elf Priest
thank you I agree with you and understand more why my mana goes oom so fast I notice lots of dps relying on us healers to get them out of binds maybe dps should take the time to read this report might give them knowledge they need
85 Blood Elf Priest
Is there a cap for mastery? cuase i have a mastery rating of 19.59 and a mana combat regen of 3232 sitting by its self! lol Ilvl 356.

One more thing, is intellect more important than spirit? cuase i looked at Aroll's toon and saw he had lower mastery and better mana pool than I.
90 Blood Elf Priest
i have to say that last night i was healing in heroic Grim Batol and really began to question my healing abilities because of the mana issues this thread has helped greatly thanks for all the info you provided
87 Blood Elf Priest
I honestly think we all have at one time or another, but coming back after 2 months didnt help either. Being my priest was only 72 at cata release I didnt do to much in Lk dungeons, i did notice though i was able to heal almost anything in the heroics with little knowledge of healing.
90 Night Elf Priest
This char solos.... no , not Dungeons.... Quests. I find using a Lightwell quite helpfull doing the Dailys in Deepholm. My only MAJOR grip is not having Surge of Light usable for SMITES anymore. *Sighs* That was my "go to" spell for a quick saving my arse.

Guilds.... this char has been kicked out of so many (in Wrath) that I'm not interested anymore. Why kicked? 30-days inactive.... nuff said.

I have enough chars that needs leveling that I won't miss Guilds.

Just gotta work on my Tailor , then this char won't be too soft to go into the next Expansion.

Maybe I'll change my mind about Guilds.... but only after I investigate ones "For Adults Only". No Teenagers... No "This is My Child.... No "I'll vouch for This One". I'm just sooooo tiered of the Dramma Teenagers / Children brings. Especially in P.U.G.s
100 Gnome Mage
The OP makes good points, but that's all this "guide" does. They talk about "if you spec right" but I don't see anywhere where there's a right spec posted. It'd be nice if the guide became an actual guide. What about glyphs? Are there any macros that would help out?

The OP seems to know what they're talking about, so fleshing out this guide a bit more rather than just making it into a PSA would be wonderful for those of us who just started a holy priest and want actual info.
100 Blood Elf Priest
04/18/2011 01:49 PMPosted by Qiuxiang
The OP makes good points, but that's all this "guide" does. They talk about "if you spec right" but I don't see anywhere where there's a right spec posted. It'd be nice if the guide became an actual guide.

Also quite a bit of this is outdated with the patches that have come out since it was posted.

04/09/2011 10:18 AMPosted by Ailianna
thank you I agree with you and understand more why my mana goes oom so fast I notice lots of dps relying on us healers to get them out of binds maybe dps should take the time to read this report might give them knowledge they need

Overarchingly, DPS should be educated on the new healing models with reinforcements every time they take avoidable damage, not just when they die.
This shouldn't be a problem in most raiding guilds, but well... there are still thousands out there that can't down the harder normal content, so obviously there are people still holding on to the past.
30 Human Priest
Heal: This spell, in holy, is perfectly acceptable as it stands, and for any holy priest doing heroics or raids, this should really be your main spell of choice

And don't forget about Surge of Light.

You know, that one talent that gives you a 6% chance on casting Flash Heal, Heal, Greater Heal, or Binding Heal on which Flash Heal will be instant and cost nothing. Heal is, by far, the cheapest out of all these spells.

Heal is a great spell that should be commonly used.

Not only that, but Renew + Heal can heal ANY low-level dungeon.
Edited by Elewyn on 4/27/2011 2:39 PM PDT
90 Goblin Priest
I would like to know your guys' opinion on Holy pvp do you think it's any good? If not whats so much better about disc?
90 Human Priest
"The base issue is that yes, it still needs to be clicked, but with how powerful it presently is... too bad - you need to force people to use this amazing spell. In heroics, it practically does all my raid healing for me."

No, I don't think so. It's the healers job to heal. I have enough to worry about dps'ing and staying out of AoE and other crap. Now you want me to keep a close eye on my health and click a lightwell regularly as well? Do u have to try and melee dps while you heal? .

Um... hello... can anyone say Smite-healing Disc priests?

New game mechanics.

Adapt and learn.
85 Undead Priest
I love this forum. It is the best I have found in many hours and hours of research to figure out what I have been doing wrong since cata. I have only been healing for about a year and a half and in wrath was successful. After running her to 83 as holy I decided to dual spec her shad to complete her run to 85 with no hope of ever healing with her again (which was the only reason I made her) With the advice on this site I am healing again and back in the game with the rest of them. I agree with most of the above posts. If you know how to play this character there is nothing that needs to be changed. It is actually fun to heal with a challenge, and you actually have to know what to do and when. Also as a primary DPS (mage) player I agree with the learn/teach them their roles covering for the mistakes just makes bad ppl think they know what they are doing. Again excellent information wish I had more to contribute than a simple THANK YOU!!
85 Gnome Priest
12/10/2010 02:56 PMPosted by Àroll
Rilok
85 Undead Priest
Valiant
The above information will help you get by until they fix our class. Great thread.

The point of this thread is that our class doesn't NEED to be fixed. If you go to any other healer board, they have the same complaints we do. Compared to most, thanks to chakra heal and lightwell, Holy Priests have it insanely easy. There is nothing to be fixed: We are working as intended. Everything is doable. As we get more gear and more skill (as I have), it gets even easier.

What is there to fix? You are not going to see anything be like it was in Wrath during cata. Those days are gone.

i love my priest and im not one to complain about anything. but just rem your sitting at a 365+ ilvl so for *Most* people healing with holy is going to be a problem for awhile till they get that kind of gear. also im sitting at 359 ilvl and i heal heroics with my eyes closed.. za/zg's r based on the group i get and gear cant help you with fail pugs.
85 Draenei Priest
I clicked on this "guide" because I am picking up my priest for the first time in Cataclysm, and I figured I would get some spec, glyph, common practice advice. But I can't find the "guide" part in this forum.

-Heal is your main spell.
-Lightwell is useful.
-Renew is... (I dont know, because you didnt actually talk about it, and trailed off into how DPS can remain at 50% health in heroics.)
-You have lots of spells.

I dont mean to be brash, but why is this stickied?

I agree; why was this sticked?
Regarding the Heal spell: Heal works well in heroics and is very mana efficient. Has anyone tried using it as your "main spell" in a raid? I did. I think it's way too slow and doesn't heal nearly enough. So I used a huge basket of costly other heals and was constantly out of mana.

What do you guys use as your main spell for tank/raid healing?
Man, I love this guide. This is so helpful. Do you recommend Desperate Prayer?
85 Blood Elf Priest
I clicked on this "guide" because I am picking up my priest for the first time in Cataclysm, and I figured I would get some spec, glyph, common practice advice. But I can't find the "guide" part in this forum.

-Heal is your main spell.
-Lightwell is useful.
-Renew is... (I dont know, because you didnt actually talk about it, and trailed off into how DPS can remain at 50% health in heroics.)
-You have lots of spells.

I dont mean to be brash, but why is this stickied?

I agree; why was this sticked?
Regarding the Heal spell: Heal works well in heroics and is very mana efficient. Has anyone tried using it as your "main spell" in a raid? I did. I think it's way too slow and doesn't heal nearly enough. So I used a huge basket of costly other heals and was constantly out of mana.

What do you guys use as your main spell for tank/raid healing?

Yes, "Heal" is slow. BUT it is still your main spell. He's not saying to never use other spells...you can 'spam with Heal' the crits will keep your tank up. If your tank takes massive damage, throw a couple big heals. Don't forget you got GA to increase healing done to that target. Surge of Light procs often, and combining that with Greater Heal works well.

This guide is stickied because of all the people that benifited from it, and the knowlegde it provides...honestly, if you dont think its 'sticky' worthy...then by all means, take a shot and make one yourself. The problem isn't that 'Heal' is a slow cast. The problem is your ability to properly heal. I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk...but don't put down a guide just because your having issues. Just because 'Heal' is your main spell...doesn't make it the only spell that your gona use.

Renew refreshes with any direct heal on your target. Thats why he didn't go into detail...if you didn't 'recognize' that while healing, or you just didn't know...well now you do.

Theres alot of spells you can use efficiently. Chakra, Renew, Heal, GH, SoL, PoM, Serenity, GA, (I shouldn't have to list them all), use them in combination, use them to your advantage. And like I said, if your tank took a massive hit, don't be afraid to use a couple big heals.

Like for instance.... when you get a SoL proc, use Serenity first, then throw the SoL proc, combined with a GH. Something of that nature. Serentiy increases healing done for...what is it... 6sec? or 10sec? Anyways, combining those spells will pop your tank up quickly.

Please don't troll guides.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]