Healing mana costs vs level - outrageous.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Riddle me this batman - why have healing costs gone THRU THE ROOF, like 400% more mana to cast a spell than at level 80, yet the actual amount healed has scaled about maybe 20%? 30% TOPS to be generous.

If my strongest heal (Divine Light) critted (for approx 30k) it would empty 10% of my entire mana pool and only heal 1/3rd of a 100k player's bar. My "quick" heal is even worse. 6700 mana (9%) for a 15k heal. That's a drop in the bucket for anyone at 85 with 100k life. 30 seconds into a heroic boss fight and I'm out of mana unless the ONLY person to take damage is the tank and I can perfectly execute holy power / light of dawn discharges.

I got my character geared out in blues to start heroics tonight and tried a few. It was freaking insane. I'll be honest, I'm a damn good healer and I know how to maximize every tool at my disposal but I was out of mana EVERY BOSS FIGHT. Even the ones where the dps kept their damage intake to absolute minimum.

Thinking back to some of my most intense healing, I had sustained about 12k healing per second on a Blood Queen fight (without the vamp buff, but granted this was before the Holy Shock nerf). In the groups I've been doing in cataclysm, even when I go balls to the wall healing, its still only 10-12k healing per second lol. WTF!!!!!!!!!

Put me back at 80 with 80 blues and I would be 3x more effective at healing the equivalent players at that level. Healing is so WTF right now it just makes me laugh.

Reply Quote
88 Human Priest
I was about to say the same thing. Let me do the 85 raids at 80 in my ICC gear. I can hit 10k hps and sustain mana, but can't sustain over 5-6k now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Current stuff is designed around a different healing model entirely. Mastery and slow heals meant death in wotlk. Endless spam and button mashing with no regards for mana means death in cata.
You're comparing apples and oranges.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Well, this is new.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

12/11/2010 1:08 AMPosted by Sedivy
You're comparing apples and oranges.

Hardly. I execute a perfect Holy Power / LoD rotation as much as possible (ie. I'm playing the cata dance) but any time I have to patch somebody other than the tank? Bye bye 10% of my mana pool. What am I supposed to do? Let them die? Does blizzard expect the DPS classes in a group perfectly execute boss fights in order for a healer to make it through without coming out bone-dry on mana on the other side - or more accurately becoming bone-dry halfway thru the fight. Is dps expected to survive on splash heals alone? Splash heals with a 100k+ hitpoint bar?

Let's theorize and say I'm geared out in 85 epics and I have 6000 spellpower (and my companions are rocking probably at least 150,000 hit points). Given the current scaling of the spells in conjunction with spellpower, my biggest heal would probably hit for around 25000 or 1/6th of their health bar, yet consume almost 10,000 mana.

If cata is supposed to be so game-changing where we totally radically rethink the way we do healing, then why the frak is a spell with a ratio/cost that asinine even around?

Reply Quote
84 Human Priest
The reality is that developers could have chosen to scale healers upward while leveling, even with the new healing models. If 10k was typical in ICC, it's perfectly possible that 20k could have been typical in Cata heroics. That 20k hps would have cost just as much as our current healing does and be proportionally equal to the max health and incoming damage. So health pools and damage would have scaled to 4x what they are now, too.

I don't know why we decided to have healers scale backwards so far. The end result is exactly the same except psychologically. Leveling does not feel rewarding, despite the promises that the fewer levels of Cata were to make these levels seem like more substantially improvements.

my biggest heal would probably hit for around 25000 or 1/6th of their health bar, yet consume almost 10,000 mana.
Are you saying that Divine Light costs you 10,000 mana?
Edited by Taym on 12/11/2010 1:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/11/2010 1:38 AMPosted by Taym
my biggest heal would probably hit for around 25000 or 1/6th of their health bar, yet consume almost 10,000 mana.
Are you saying that Divine Light costs you 10,000 mana?

You're right - i meant 10% of my mana bar. Which is 7000 mana at the moment. Not 10k mana, but I think my point is still illustrated.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Holy Radiance, however, costs nearly 10k mana to cast. So it's less of a usable heal and more of an 'oh !!##' button for massive aoe damage. And it only heals for 2k per tick. Almost useless atm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]