Healers: It won't be us.

We won't be the ones that bring about the needed changes. Beta Healers already voiced their concerns and were widely ignored. Blizzard has created a Healing model that they feel is necessary. And they are sticking to their guns. For now.

Many of us do not agree with this, and have voiced our own concerns over the past couple days.

Some enjoy the new found difficulty. They embrace the challenge and relish in their victory. And I am truly happy for them.

But for the rest of us, Healing has become a chore. A role that was already difficult at times, mainly due to poor players. It seems Blizzard has decided that we, the healers, will now be responsible for those poor players. The new Priest spell Leap of Faith clearly shows that. It is up to us to baby and teach those silly DPSer's on how to play. And that's not fun.

Over the next couple months most Healers will stop queuing for the LFD. The success that it had in Wrath will end. Most of us will stick to Guild runs, playing with people we know and trust.

The changes will come when the Tanks and DPS start getting tired of hour long queues. The changes will come when they enter a Battleground, only to find no one healing them.

The changes will come when Tanks and DPS demand them.
Reply Quote
I somehow think that the healers who stick to it will adjust to the new system before there truly becomes a need to change it. We'll see, though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Success in wrath?
Wrath healing was boring.
Boring whackamole 3 button spam where we might as well didn't have to have a mana bar. It was that pointless to have it...you never ran out.
Thank you blizzard for finally making a thoughtful and engaging healing system that requires some skill.
Reply Quote
Oh, there will be Healers that stick to it and continue queuing, I have no doubt about that. My point is that the number of Healers will fall pretty drastically.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Just like tanks in LFD. And its not about a whack a mole type system. I use all my heals, and I'll be happy to post my mouse bindings for your pleasure if you wish. The problem is the damage output. Bosses in dungeons hit way too hard, or they have a crazy mechanic that allows them to be incredible uber. Like a AOE damage for 10 seconds with a fear to cap it off.

Your not saving anybody with that. Your might as well just quit at that point.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
12/11/2010 3:22 AMPosted by Bizzix
I just dont understand what is fun about group after group after group of going oom on the first trash pulls?...in normals? Let people die and they just cuss and kick you.

Its not fun and thats because the healing needs to be tuned. If my Greater Heal at level 80 hit for 15k at 85 with 3x more spell power that should be at least 30-50k. The problem is that the spells did not scale with mana. Bugged maybe, but we know nothing at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I have yet to have someone kick me. People will die if they do something stupid. I tell them so if they do.
Going oom after every pull is normal when everyone is in greens. What did you expect? It's only been 4 days.
You should be in blues by next week latest. Then in purples a few weeks after.
This drinking after every trash pull thing will be a distant memory.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
OP, you make some good points. None of what is being said is new information, only the vast number of people saying it.

12/11/2010 3:22 AMPosted by Bizzix
I just dont understand what is fun about group after group after group of going oom on the first trash pulls?...in normals? Let people die and they just cuss and kick you.

The fun? The fun is when someone accidentally pulls and the group gets to pay a repair bill because you flash heal til you're oom because there's no way Heal/GHeal will get you anywhere (10-15 casts).

Now I'm a disc, I have two great external cd's (matched by under-par straight healing and lol bubbles) but resto druids and shamans are in a worse position.

That's the heartbreaking part. I can't reliably save simple mistakes. If the tank gets cocky, the group might wipe. If the warlock steps too far to the left, the group might wipe. I know I'm a really good healer but I despise having to watch people die.
Edited by Whynot on 12/11/2010 3:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/11/2010 3:18 AMPosted by Sedivy
Success in wrath?
Boring whackamole 3 button spam where we might as well didn't have to have a mana bar. It was that pointless to have it...you never ran out.
Thank you blizzard for finally making a thoughtful and engaging healing system that requires some skill.

I was referring to the success of the LFD tool, not about Wrath healing.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
12/11/2010 3:18 AMPosted by Sedivy
Success in wrath?

Then you good sir, don't understand your class very well do you?
Let's see
*armory*
Holy
hmmm
Circle of Healing
Prayer of Mending
Renew
Binding Heal
Flash Heal
Greater Heal
Prayer of Healing....
Ohhhh annnnnd Power Word: Shield

as for disc I don't know much about it except..
PoM
Bubble(s)
Flash Heal
and Penance

Fairly positive thats more than a 3 button mash...

RED TEXT:
OP I have a feeling you will be right about this, blizzard stated they wanted to make this triage! We shall see what triage really looks like when you have little to no nurses (lol) on the field to tend to your wounded...
Edited by Märïé on 12/11/2010 3:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Reroll a paladin.

I roll my face on my keyboard through heroics in average 330ilvl gear.

No enchants or gems yet and I only have to drink after bosses. :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
And you clearly didn't do much ICC raiding.
It came down to renew/pom/coh spam.
You can list all these spells, but lets face it, when did you EVER use Greater Heal as a holy in ICC. Shadowfiend? What on earth for? Infinite mana ftw.
Edited by Sedivy on 12/11/2010 3:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
12/11/2010 3:27 AMPosted by Sedivy
I have yet to have someone kick me. People will die if they do something stupid. I tell them so if they do.
Going oom after every pull is normal when everyone is in greens. What did you expect? It's only been 4 days.
You should be in blues by next week latest. Then in purples a few weeks after.
This drinking after every trash pull thing will be a distant memory.

Lets hope it is. I can't wait to get my Hyjal rep up so I can get the epic items that come from there to see. Until then its a struggle. But I will say I did TB tonight, and I healed and didn't have an issue at all. Its PVE where its hard, PVP is cake.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
12/11/2010 3:34 AMPosted by Sedivy
You can list all these spells, but lets face it, when did you EVER use Greater Heal as a holy in ICC. Shadowfiend? What on earth for? Infinite mana ftw.

See I, unlike you, chose to use my more EFFECTIVE healing spells, and yes seeing as how pre-4.0 I was spec'd into serenditpity which made my greater heals equal cast time to my flash heal with 3 stacks, I did use Greater heal, along with Prayer of Healing. THAT was triage...kthx =)
I did use shadowfiend, i did use hymn of hope, we did this thing called 2 healing. LULZ

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
You can list all these spells, but lets face it, when did you EVER use Greater Heal as a holy in ICC.

Well said. There was simply no reason to use any heal but flash heal for a priest of either type in Wrath. Heal? The tank probably would be dead. Greater Heal? Definitely.

And if they did survive, most of that would have been wasted on Overhealing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest

You used GHeal when the tank was dying even in ICC. I used it as Disc and as Holy. It was a big heal why not. As for Renew POM CoH Spam I wasn't like that. Yes I used POM on CD, I reserved CoH when it was needed, like during Remorseless Winter. I kept a Renew on the tanks and thats it. Other times I would use Flash Heal for DPS, and a GHeal for the tanks.

In my guild, we used 3 raid healers mostly for our fights, no tank healers. And we did fine. We used all our spells even at 80. And with Alliance being very populated for Druids, there are more guilds out there that use 2 Resto Druids in a raid. But we didn't just use Rejuv, and WG either. They were using LBs, Nourish, Regrowths, and even HT when needed as well.

Its not about infinite mana, go play a Resto Shammy during Lich King and you'll see you never had infinite mana. You struggled even with Water Shield.
Edited by Moonscape on 12/11/2010 3:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
My question to the people @!!!@ing about the new healing system is how many people healed anything in vanilla WoW? I personally love the return to the roots of healing. No more spamming heals and ending with 5x the amount of overheal as true heal.

I do agree there needs to be adjustment. The adjustment needs to come from the n00b DPSers that are used to AoEing everything well before the tank has aggro and surviving. This doesn't work like it did in Wrath and the way to get these players to change is to let them die, or make a macro telling these n00bs that you will let them die.

The OP is right to be upset that for simple trash mob pulls we healers have to scramble to keep the team up. If the DPSers stop being idiots, we healers will be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I have healed since the very beginning of the game. I healed in raids in Vanilla up to and including Naxx40, I healed in Burning Crusade, and I healed in Wrath. But never have I been more frustrated with healing than I am in Cataclysm.

I'm happy for those that like the changes, but this new system does nothing but stress me out. This new system does not interest me. It generally upsets me.

Sadly, I feel like my healer will begin to collect dust from this moment onward, because I don't feel this level of stress tanking or dpsing than I do with the new healing mechanics.
Reply Quote
56 Dwarf Death Knight
I hate playing the achievements game but Moonscape, your strategy for healing may be why you're quite low on the totem pole of progression in Wrath.

The strategy should serve you well in Cata though so really--Good luck with that =).

I don't care if that's an alt and your main is more progressed, you may be a teriffic warlock or an amazing DK or whatever class it may be, but your priest's progression is terrible. There simply wasn't time to cast those long casts in a 2-4 shot world (icc buff and geared).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]