Healer balance, or lack thereof...

10 Night Elf Hunter
... and other outstanding issues.

So now that logs are coming out and we finally have a fairly sizable amount of data, it'd be great to have some thoughts from blues about what potential changes are in the works to bring some balance to the healing classes. It'd also be great to have people post intelligent suggestions about how it could be done (please, not "nerf x class, buff y class") and what issues there are to address. Remember, blues aren't perfect, they need our feedback.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_the_4_Winds/hps/
http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Blackwing_Descent/hps/
http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Bastion_of_Twilight/hps/

So propose changes to your class, discuss your opinions, but please, do it in a civil and intelligent manner. Remember, we're all healers, we're always working as a team; there's no reason to go for each other's throats, it would just hurt the team in the long run.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Paladins are ridiculous?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
No really, paladins are 'struggling'

Actually I will say that someone at blizzard will see this and see one druid here and one shaman there and say 'see, they can do it if the TRY' and declare them "fine" and paladins just the kind of class that attracts 'exceptional' people.

Edited by Mewz on 12/12/2010 2:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
First of all, I love healing right now. I am so glad that its a challenge, this is the most fun I have had healing in a long time. However, this imbalance is very concerning to me and here is why:

I love the new healing model, no role can essentially carry another right now, healers can't carry bad tanks, and vice versa and the same goes for dps, they can't be carried nor carry each other. Everyone has to do their part. It's not just about bad healers going oom and good healers not, mobs have to be cc'd, tanks need to use cooldowns, dps need to avoid damage at all costs and use life saving and self healing abilities. The healers have to use every trick in their spell books to get through fights, and so do the other classes.

Now the issue with this is that healers right now are forced to change their ways, but there is one healing class that can still carry tanks and dps who are not doing their jobs. A lazy or bad tank or dps is not going to change if they don't have to, they can always kick the healer and eventually they will get a paladin who can carry them through. This is a huge problem because it destroys the whole cata healing model.

Certain healing classes are looked at as bad now, when they are perfectly capable of getting through the current content as long as everyone does their job. As long as paladins remain overpowered, the other healers will continue to cry for buffs, dps will continue to stand in the fire and tanks will continue to chain pull, because as long as they have a paladin, nothing is stopping them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
no, paladins are fine as is, they are fun

its fun to feel usefull, being a overglorified bandaid that ooms in 20 seconds is not fun

they wont nerf pals, they will buff the other healers, because thats what needs to be done

I wish, unfortunately Blizzard seems to want all healers to be miserable.
Reply Quote
I wonder what I'd do with a buff...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Waiting on the fan boys to defend this huge pile of metrics.....

Not being familiar with these logs, is there a way to sort by total gear score so that we can judge hps based on similar gear for said instance?

Thanks!

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
They need to just up the heals as they up'd the mana of us being 85... Let us heal like we are 85 not 80.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/12/2010 3:26 AMPosted by Rakha
I wonder what I'd do with a buff...

Heal?
Save the day barely and save gy humping followed by a scolding of the errant dps or tank? Actually feel like something more than a bandaid dispenser?
Avoid being kicked regularly in favor of a paladin?
Really use all of the tools in your healing toolbox?
Use tools in a way that you like versus having to use the predetermined and scripted solutions over and over again regardless of gs?

enjoy the game?

Anyhow, lovely post! TY for sharing.
Reply Quote
12/12/2010 3:51 AMPosted by Songor
No. Thats just dumb, I shouldn't have to plan my night out around running a 5 man like its a raid and brining flasks and repair money.

Heroics are supposed to be hard modes, sorry if you can't handle that
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/12/2010 3:57 AMPosted by Astartes
No. Thats just dumb, I shouldn't have to plan my night out around running a 5 man like its a raid and brining flasks and repair money.

Heroics are supposed to be hard modes, sorry if you can't handle that

but it is supposed to be ventless and PUGable - it's also supposed to be fun healing while challenging, not stressful healing and challenging.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/12/2010 3:34 AMPosted by Marcusbnaud
Waiting on the fan boys to defend this huge pile of metrics.....

Not being familiar with these logs, is there a way to sort by total gear score so that we can judge hps based on similar gear for said instance?

Thanks!

You can expect that everyone on these lists is wearing basically equivalent gear - i.e. the best stuff that can be obtained from heroics/JP, more-or-less, plus a couple pieces of the better rep gear. These are the top HPS healers, worldwide, from runs that were serious enough to log their raid and upload it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

You left out one MAJOR point...

You shouldn't have to worry about 80% of what you said in a simple 5 man instance, and THAT is the problem.

Raids, sure I can see it being tough.

5 mans?

Heroics should be hard. Not raid content hard, but hard enough to wipe you if you screw up. Disagree? Well, Blizzard doesn't, they agree with me.

So yeah, quit now. Sick of whingers.
Reply Quote
37 Blood Elf Warlock
What a pointless thread. There are so few parses that 3 of the top 6 for Al'Akir are in the same damn parse. Most of these pally parses have druids doing god knows what, one of them was doing 0 healing for 70% of the fight. Many of those paladins are also doing less optimal then they could, wait untill the real paladins who understand the power of LoD start putting up parses with 15k+ HPS.

Check out some of the 25 man parses with Earthliving being almost 50% of shaman healing, where they are beating said supposedly 'OP' paladins. Its pretty clear that all you are seeing right now is gear differences and diferences in adaption rate to the new styles. Go actually dig into these parses and see that the paladins are all being sucsessful using a variety of spells. Take the vodka Halfus #1 HPS paladin, who topped the charts with Holy Radiance, and only generated 20 Holy Power... over 5 mins... In a fight where this paladin was using a PBAOE Heal to top the charts, his druid pal thought it would be fun to use Rejuv spam? And from the looks of it wasn't even spec'd into Efflorescence... World Class healers? Hardly.

Things will take some time to reveal the true balance. What you are seeing is meerly a consquence of the paladin design. It is practially impossible to use the wrong spell, unless you are casting a significant number of Flash of Light. Everyone's heals heal for crap, there are parses with Healing Rain being extremely powerful, there are ones with Holy Radiance and Prayer of Healing too.

Part of what you are seeing also is paladins raid healing, and other healers healing tanks.
Edited by Faelyne on 12/12/2010 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
83 Goblin Shaman
The only thing these parses prove is that decent guilds need to start uploading some parses of their own so that people who take WoL to be accurate less than a week after a new expansion launches don't get the wrong idea.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
[Removed] Post history stalking counter measure. :)
Edited by Ashleìgh on 3/9/2011 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]