Why did I choose to be a Healer?

85 Blood Elf Priest
I wanted to be the Hero. I wanted to be the person to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. When everyone else failed, I wanted to be the one to put it all back together again and push on through to that final, sweet victory.

In Wrath, I got my wish. That wasn't easy, nor did it mean I was overpowered. To be the Hero I had to be the best, I had to put everything I had into my game "on and off the field". When not in raids I spent many hours a day researching, thinking, planning, improving. In raids it was always clutch time. The edge-of-my-seat thrill that if I missed one heal, hesitated for one second, someone would die, and we would all fail.

In cata, thats all gone. In its place is a sort of artificial difficulty where the only win I can have is to manage my mana. In a raid I no longer care, because there is nothing I can do. No matter how hard I try I can never be the Hero I wanted so badly to be. All I can do now is fret over my mana, and if the DPS die? Screw em, they failed. If the tanks die? Well there's nothing I could do anyway. I have no drive left, I just sit in the back and stare at that mana pool.

To add insult to injury... I can't even be the best.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
pretty much. i raided disc throughout wrath too.

i got to be the one to deal with every random debuff in a raid. i knew every source of damage and how it worked and how to mitigate it. i knew all of the tank debuffs and how to orchestrate survival cooldowns around them. i knew the precise timing of all those huge_aoe_wtf_boss_ability situations and how to deal with those too.

that was my job.

now i'm a damn holy paladin only without the beacon and the procs.

standing there like an idiot spamming a 2.5 second spell at a tank to tread water against 2.5 second boss swings.

boring, slow, and retarded come to mind.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Healthpools in cata have been increased dramatically. By the time you hit 5 man heroics your tank will be approaching 120k health and your non-tank's health will be creeping up on 90k. At the same time your largest 2.5 second heal will be striking (non-crit) for just above 20k. By the time you reach heroic raiding your tank will have a whopping 150 to 180k health with your largest heal only rising to 25k. In cata, healing someone to full takes time and effort, even if they are a dps.

Choose who you heal and how you do it wisely. If a dps is injured it is not necessarily a good idea to heal him. A majority of dps specs have self healing capability, often with a negligible dps trade off. Only save those you believe are in immediate danger of death. In fact there is a 5 man boss and a raid boss in cata where your entire party will spend most of the fight at less than 25% health.

There is NO PROBLEM with healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Once you get a feel for your mana you don't need to watch it anymore. It's like anything else involving situational awareness.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
12/13/2010 12:45 AMPosted by Vanathex
12/13/2010 12:42 AMPosted by Xayd
boring, slow, and retarded come to mind.

If this is the case, you're doing it wrong. I feel like it's engaging, moving quite fast, and challenging in a fun way.

the pace of incoming damage is HUGELY slower to compensate for the weaker healing spells.

it has nothing to do with me. i didn't design the classes and the bosses.

in wrath you had a list of tank mechanics whether they be stacking debuffs or timed spike damage that required precise timing in keeping up the raid and mitigating those spike damage scenarios on the tank(s) and it all happened pretty fast. you had to think fast on your feet and the global cooldown was often the biggest limiting factor, because things happend faster than that 1 second global cooldown in many cases. prioritizing who got what healing wise was a split second decision.

now we've turned that 1 second global cooldown into the 2.5 seconds that this holy paladin playstyle on all healers requires.

i don't have to prioritize anything with random dps damage. i dispel them and bubble/hot them. if they die, they die. nothing can be done about it, because i can't spend a second bubbling/mending a dps in danger or flashing a dps who got the random non dispellable debuff or getting a POH off on a group of people who had the RNG boss summoned add spawn right on top of them and cleave them all to half health. i gotta cast my 2.5 second heals at the tank or he dies, so all skill in terms of fast thinking and reaction has been removed.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 12:43 AMPosted by Vanathex
So now that it's easier to tell who's fault it was and the healer isn't the only one who can fail, you don't like it? Okie dokie. Feel free to move to a different game.

Actually, now the healers have ZERO accountability. If the tank dies you can blame the DPS for wasting your mana,if the dps dies you can blame them for getting hit by **!*. Even if everyone does their part perfectly you can still come out with "there's too much damage, we need a new strat". The only times you can't shift blame off the healer is when they stand in fire and die, or when they fail specialty dispels.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
12/13/2010 12:44 AMPosted by Skarey

Choose who you heal and how you do it wisely. If a dps is injured it is not necessarily a good idea to heal him. A majority of dps specs have self healing capability, often with a negligible dps trade off. Only save those you believe are in immediate danger of death. In fact there is a 5 man boss and a raid boss in cata where your entire party will spend most of the fight at less than 25% health.

There is NO PROBLEM with healing.

Good job reading the OP...sigh. Every time someone posts anything negative about the healing system we get the exact same replies, not even on topic.

To the op, I agree completely. The healer/hero role was fun but removed without consideration from blizzard. We are a tuning mechanic now.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
i agree healing is harder now and i dont mind the harder part but its just slower and not fun any more i use to enjoy fighting with the health of a tank as he gets hit to keep it up now i cant do that or i go oom. what comes to mind was the LK fight sure it was harder for me to go oom but the tank took alot of dmg with about only 70k health then and i would have to fight to keep his health up while staying out of bad it was fun and more intence now its just heal tank and pretty much let the dps die and it slow and boring
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]