Healing the Raids (Mainly Druids)

90 Night Elf Druid
Ok, After gathering feedback off of the forums, and experiencing healing on a druid and a pally at level 85 I was curious to know everyone's opinions on the topic of raid healing.

Yes I know we aren't there yet, people are still adjusting to regular 5 man heroics, but my hands-down favorite part of WoW is the raiding and Im just curious.

In WotLK, Druids were arguably the best Raid healers (Next to those easy-moding Chain heal spamming shamans :p). Healing mostly consisted of Cycling rejuves, lifeblooming the tanks, and scouting for people to Regrowth + Wild growth when it was up.

How does everyone see us healing Raids now?

Cycling Rejuves is a definite NO now that they cost about 5k mana.

Lifebloom only allows one target affected at a time (out of tree form of course) so that's out of the picture.

Regrowth is a joke now, extremely high mana cost and a pitiful return on healing.

Nourish is....ok I guess, low mana cost, relatively high cast time with a heal that can hardly grapple against one HoT tick.

Healing Touch Only heals about 14k (In blues/greens) and costs a decent amount of mana + long cast time.

Wild Growth stayed about the same, except for a large mana cost increase of course.

Swift Mend seems ok actually. It heals less than before, but has a relatively low mana cost and it puts down the healing aura. Only downside is that it requires a rejuve (12 second duration, 4.8k~ mana cost) or a Regrowth (1.8 second cast 6.6k~ mana 6 second duration).

Whats a Former Tree to do?

PS: Im SOOOO glad Blizz put the Minor glyph to still look like a Treant. I cant stand looking like a purple shrub for 30 seconds every three minutes. Still bummed tree form isnt a perma shift tho :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
WG + Rejuving the WGed people is our maximum hps "rotation", and I use that term very loosely. I didn't seem to have any trouble solo healing the frost platform (Nezir) with that on Council of Wind, and that damage is fairly intense.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/nj08fn5b61tvlljj/sum/healingDone/

Are our logs if you care to take a look. I was actually surprised how high Rejuv was as a percentage of total done, since I didn't even have it running 100% of the time on the tank. It must've really kicked the tail off that aoe blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Druids aren't a "raid healer" anymore. It's a group effort, gonna have to get used to it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ehh...Im not saying that Im the heart and soul of a raid. Thats why We invite 5 healers to a 25 man ;D

What I mean is that when I join a 25 man raid, what is everyone's opinion of what a Druid is to expect? I would assume (As fave said) That Wild Growth + Rejuve is still the best combo, however that would only seem to be an option if the end game raiding gear has some kind of huge mana return, or boss fights last 30 seconds, or theres just a cascading waterfall of boomies at my beck and call willing to innervate me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You're thinking of ICC-type damage, there is no boss where you'd even want to keep up WG with supporting Rejuvs all the time. Right now if you're purely raid healing, your bread and butter is keeping LB up 100% of the time on the tank and conserving mana outside of your "mana burn" phases.

Edit: Although, some bosses support swapping the LB off the tanks. I did it quite often on Council while transitioning between platforms. If it's possible and you need the heals/efficiency badly enough to warrant the swap, LB becomes your best heal (and of course in Tree Form).
Edited by Faveokatro on 12/13/2010 1:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ugh....I don't want to be a tank healer. I use my pally for that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Keeping LB on tanks isn't being a tank healer... it's triggering your revitalize to get mana back and maximizing your healing potential.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I get that much, all I mean is that from a raiding stand point I don't really see how focusing your main portion of healing on one target in order to get a mana return and maximize healing output. Doesn't really fit the Druid sense.

Maybe WotLK really did spoil me. Or, I just thought it was more fun. I don't really enjoy this whole "Dont top off" and "Over active mana management" mentality. Druids heal with HoTs. I want to put HoTs on a lot of people. Not lifebloom one person and spam nourish/healing touch with a few rejuves here and there.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Not that i have even had a chance to raid yet (only just got to 85 and started focusing on getting my gear up) but the new healing style isnt so bad, heh i had a pretty rough time in my first few dungeons but i think im getting the hang of it now.
- keeping LB on the tank isnt hard, because well in WOTLK i was constantly rolling Regrowth+Rejuv on the tank regardless anyway.
- Nourish is now meant to be a cheaper alternative to HT when someone isnt taking much damage, also refreshes LB when talented(i think it's mainly geared towards tank healing).
- HT is our big heal when someone needs a big top-up, also refreshes LB when talented.
- Rejuv is more of a reactive heal now i think, and gets better with the more haste you have (more ticks that happen faster still!).
- Regrowth is our emergency/flash heal use when someone needs a quick heal to stabilize them before you HT, or just when s**t hits the fan.
- WG - just awsome, also as fave said for raid healing - a good setup for activating our mastery (WG on the heavily damaged ppl followed by a couple of quick rejuv's).
- Swiftmend is cool but to get the full benifit from effolesence take's a bit of working (also dont forget swiftmend is always affected by our mastery so at later levels of gear it will get much better).
Also @ elraine i think blizz is making it so all healing classes are more versitile i.e. can raid and tank heal.
Edited by Llamalaugh on 12/13/2010 3:02 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]