Healers taking the brunt of the Cataclysm

90 Human Paladin
12/13/2010 10:03 AMPosted by Grizzlic
Currently, the answer to every groups woes on the dungeon finder is this: Healer sucks, bad healer, its the healer's fault.

This is somewhat understandable from folks who have no clue about the changes to the games mechanics in Cata, because at the end of the day, the tank died and it was a wipe, and the healer is sitting there with no mana, or just unable to keep the tank up.

This could be due to tanking, dps not killing fast enough or using CC's, OR the healer not playing well...but the end result looks like:

healer sucks

Last time I had a party wipe due to bad party mechanics, everyone blamed the tank. The dps in the party made it clear that the tank either needed to mark mobs for cc, or allow me to drink between each pull if he was going to pull like that.

I believe people are catching onto the new mechanics gradually, especially if healers do their best to educate people on the new changes. Maybe after the 10th or so time that someone wipes and hear a healer explain how the mechanics of changed, that person will learn to adjust?
85 Gnome Warlock
12/13/2010 10:05 AMPosted by Sëabass
I've been healing since early bc. Paladin, Druid, and shaman.
Cool, so then you remember how CC, kill orders were needed, and how a dumb DPS would just die if they took agro or stood in something stupid.

Now take that bit of knowledge that you remember, forget how it was in Wrath, and go heal a dungeon. Treat Cata instances like BC/Vanilla instances.

Let the DPS die if they pull agro. You can't keep them and the tank up anymore.

Also, Chain heal + Surge like it was in Wrath isn't going to cut it. Think of them as big emergency heals.
90 Human Paladin
I agree with Pharaun. I run heroics with my guild mates, so the communication between all of us with DPS knowing what to CC and what not to attack vs what to attack, makes my job as the healer less stressful. I admit that I'm not fully implemented into the Cata mindset, but by the end of the mob pull or the boss, I'm still at about 20% mana, if I'm not OOM. I always Judgement whenever I can, that gives me a ton of mana, and I divine plea when I can afford the 50% less healing while it's active. It's a lot of fun now, I totally enjoy the changes, it's challenging and rewarding.

I also helps that our Tank is a DK with his own self healing that helps me out.
85 Gnome Warlock
12/13/2010 10:07 AMPosted by Gonis
the level of a character or what class they are pointing this out should not matter, as blizzard stated in their discussion on the changes to healing that healers will need to relearn their healing, and his example on flash of light was also given in that post

It's almost as if I keep up on things, and know every class or something.
85 Human Paladin
12/13/2010 10:10 AMPosted by Klaern
12/13/2010 10:07 AMPosted by Gonis
the level of a character or what class they are pointing this out should not matter, as blizzard stated in their discussion on the changes to healing that healers will need to relearn their healing, and his example on flash of light was also given in that post

It's almost as if I keep up on things, and know every class or something.

yeah its amazing what you can find out if you read up on the blizzard posts
85 Troll Druid
12/13/2010 9:58 AMPosted by Brinx
12/13/2010 9:49 AMPosted by Shirelle
The reason for the healer complaints is because the end result of a bad group/situation is going to be the healer running out of mana.

In other words, it's not that the content is too hard on healers. It's that the tanks aren't geared/specced right and using appropriate cooldowns, the dps isn't killing fast enough, mobs aren't being cc'd enough, and/or you are not using the most mana efficient heal spells (I'm looking at you flash heal) for the job.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

bring me some chicken will ya? im hungry :(
85 Gnome Warlock
12/13/2010 10:09 AMPosted by Ryllae
Healing is beyond broken, right now.

Personally, I've just gone strictly moonkin in groups because it's not worth the stress just to play a game. It's a shame too because I used to love healing. :<

Rejuv + Life blooms on the tank, let them bloom. Use Swiftmend like it's going out of style. Wild growth only when more than 2 people have taken damage. Only regrowth in a pinch. Use Tranquility when the crap hits the fan. Healing touch but only when it's not going to way over heal. Toss a single rejuv on a dps that took some damage, but only if it's significant damage.
90 Night Elf Druid
So, as a DPS, I'm guessing that making sure I have a stock of healing pots so I can fix my own stand in the fire mistakes is going to be quite appreciated? Oh and I've got a free innervate I'm not using so that's probably also going to make me healing friends?
85 Gnome Warlock
12/13/2010 10:13 AMPosted by Vermithrax
So, as a DPS, I'm guessing that making sure I have a stock of healing pots so I can fix my own stand in the fire mistakes is going to be quite appreciated? Oh and I've got a free innervate I'm not using so that's probably also going to make me healing friends?

You're a druid, you have healing spells, use them to help the healer when things get ugly. If you really want to be nice, throw out rejuvs every now and then to keep the group up. You can spare some mana and the group can afford a little lost dps. If you notice the healer running out of mana, throw your innervate to them.
85 Worgen Druid
I don't go OOM, but I do have to drink. OH NO! well it's not a problem for me unless the Tanks don't pay attention and just continue to pull even tho I say multiple times "mana".. "I need mana" .. " I'm almost OOM" .. "I used my innervate on that last pull, let me drink" .. "I NEED MANA NOW OR WE WIPE!" then I get #%#*!ed at when I cat form and sprint away from the fight for going OOM.

Otherwise, I haven't any problems with mana, I learned the hard way in my first dungeon, don't use expensive inefficient spells unless it's an emergency. Any healer who can't figure this out should just go DPS and lower our dungeon queue time.
85 Tauren Druid
At level 83, and 50k mana pool, I don't oom unless a) Deeps pulled more mobs in w/AOE. b) Slow Deeps on Boss c) Tank is still in 80 gear. d) High Damage to All Party/PvE AOE consistantly.

Regular Boss fights, at a normal pace, will leave me with roughly 40% left. Stars in Vortex will leave me with roughly 20%. However, I can mantain dungeon progression with a group through Vortex Pinnacle, only stopping for my mana 2 to 3 times. Those are usually 1st Set of Stars, 2nd Set of Stars, and Right before Final Boss (due to the two pulls of Asaad Gryphon Guys).

My trick is I will HoT the tank w/Rejuv and Lifebloom. He only gets Regrowth around half health, or I'll let Lifebloom tick off. Then reset Lifebloom.

One Deeps Losing Health? he gets a Rejuv. he hits 40% Health, then he gets a Regrowth.

Multiple Deeps Losing Health? Wild Growth, Rejuv on those losing health. If they continue to take damage, reach 40%, then they get Regrowth.

I do not overheal. Also, people in my groups rarely die, unless by their own accord or stupidity. We don't wipe. Unless...of course... someone is overly stupid and I just can't keep heals up. Never do I wipe a group due to mana.

Also, I rarely "need" to use Innervate.

If what you do isn't working, why keep beating your head in the same way? Find a different way to heal, and you may unlock the key to Pally healing! :D Corny as that sounds, I found my way of healing perfectly in dungeons and not ooming. And trust me, the first couple of dungeons I spent more time on my big tauren butt drinking than I did standing and healing.
Unlike before, now there is a lot of room for screw-ups. Meaning it is easier to do so. That is, screwing up. Just in case.
85 Gnome Warlock
DPS need to remember that an instance is not a contest against each other on the meters, it's a team effort. If you have a way to help the group stay alive, use it even if it means less DPS going out from you. You save the day, and you'll be more useful than the extra 500dps you might have done that pull.
85 Draenei Shaman
Healing is fine, use cc. I run with a tank and a druid dps. the druid cn root and sleep. When we use lfd we hope for some more cc. If we dont get it we try a few pulls, if we die or i am using too much mana, we kick them. This happens most often with dps warriors.
85 Gnome Warlock
12/13/2010 10:16 AMPosted by Shøul
I don't go OOM, but I do have to drink. OH NO! well it's not a problem for me unless the Tanks don't pay attention and just continue to pull even tho I say multiple times "mana".. "I need mana" .. " I'm almost OOM" .. "I used my innervate on that last pull, let me drink" .. "I NEED MANA NOW OR WE WIPE!" then I get #%#*!ed at when I cat form and sprint away from the fight for going OOM.

Otherwise, I haven't any problems with mana, I learned the hard way in my first dungeon, don't use expensive inefficient spells unless it's an emergency. Any healer who can't figure this out should just go DPS and lower our dungeon queue time.

Drinking is a nifty trick. Healers need to stock up on beverages (best they can get for thier level) and drink to full mana between each pull. Start drinking as soon as you can, don't stop until you have to heal the tank. Expect to go through a stack of water each run (you'll more than make up the cost).

I think a lot of healers don't drink between pulls (even though there is enough time to do so or a bunch of down time while the tank waits to pull the next group). Keep your mana up, it'll make your life easier.
12/13/2010 10:16 AMPosted by Shøul

This!
I also found out stanpeeding roar is usefull !! lol helps me run out of the instance too lol
87 Draenei Paladin
HAHA every pally that knows his/her class knows flash of light is supposed to be an emergency quick heal, and unfortunately you can't JUST blame the tanks, or the dps, or the healers, because it's EVERYONE'S fault but that's the point... dungeons shouldn't have to rely on one class or another... that should stay a raid thing. I love raids with my guildies because I don't have to worry about their knowhow in a raid, but using the dungeon tool for pug dungeons you have to worry about everyone, and it shouldn't be that way. I don't mind the challenge with guildies because we all know our individual play styles, but there's no way a pug will be successful in the more difficult dungeons without some seriously OP gear, and they shouldn't need OP gear to get through a pug dungeon.
84 Worgen Death Knight
OMG not another thread about how healing is so stressful, the game is broken, my mana is depleted... Am i saying the game is perfect, no(which MMO is?). Your not gods anymore get over it plz. Its stressful because...

1)You THOUGHT you were good but now cata has proven you aren't(this goes for all roles)
2) not geared properly yet(again all roles)
3)DPS/TANK is failing horribly(skill)

Yes you have to actually cooperate and work together as a team now, thats how its suppose to be in a MMO. Everyone has to attack in rhythm now. No more drooling on keyboard = win.

P.S. randoms are harder now yes, the same as a random bg is because some people are idiots. What can you do? Make/Join a guild that does these things or get some friends.
85 Tauren Druid
As a healer, I only run out of mana on pulls that are not pulled correctly, usually prefaced by "we don't need cc", "I duno what can be cc'ed", "I duno who has what cc" (this is one is usually after you tell them), "It takes to long", "I will play my way". Those are all actual answered, believe me those tanks and dps didn't last very long.

Anyways my point is that in a proper pull you should not run out of mana for 3-4 minutes, this includes making sure you have all the right self buffs and mana gain back skills. And that you actually use mastery rating which makes a huge difference, and you don't spam heals and get the idea out of your head that leeting any person fall below 100% life is a failure on your part. The only failure is when someone dies while you had mana and they were not doing something stupid like standing in the fire, and also the tank or yourself or both was also not about to die.

Also don't heal people between pulls, they should bring food.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]