Healers taking the brunt of the Cataclysm

87 Draenei Paladin
Yeah it sucks having to drink in between every mob, but a crucial sacrifice. A little extra time to drink between mobs = win for the most part given EVERYONE in the group is doing their jobs properly, and yes dps that means you too... hitting cc'd targets is just as fail as a tank that doesn't taunt.
Community Manager
It's definitely challenging to heal in Cataclysm and that's by design. We want players to pick and choose what spells to use and when. Those in your group will also need to be conscious of whether or not they're putting out enough DPS, taking too much damage, and more. You'll probably be pulling out more "tricks" from your bag than you've been doing in awhile. You're also going to miss a time or two, run out of mana at a bad time and find yourself trying to figure out just what went wrong. Even experienced healers are going to have to dig their heels in a bit.

That said, we're keeping an eye out for how healing is going and should we feel there need to be adjustments, we'll make them. As many have noticed, we're starting to get a larger population of level 85 players who will be running through the content and getting better gear to compliment their spells and abilities. That should help some.
94 Night Elf Hunter
Just be aware that a lot of your healing difficulties are likely due to DPS. DPS pulling aggro, DPS standing in fire, DPS having a generally "WotLK faceroll" attitude about things, in short.
12/13/2010 10:34 AMPosted by Nethaera
It's definitely challenging to heal in Cataclysm and that's by design. We want players to pick and choose what spells to use and when. Those in your group will also need to be conscious of whether or not they're putting out enough DPS, taking too much damage, and more. You'll probably be pulling out more "tricks" from your bag than you've been doing in awhile. You're also going to miss a time or two, run out of mana at a bad time and find yourself trying to figure out just what went wrong. Even experienced healers are going to have to dig their heels in a bit.

That said, we're keeping an eye out for how healing is going and should we feel there need to be adjustments, we'll make them. As many have noticed, we're starting to get a larger population of level 85 players who will be running through the content and getting better gear to compliment their spells and abilities. That should help some.

i know you guys are listening to a lot of the qq threads about heroics being too hard, but please please don't nerf them. if you're going to change anything just buff the healers a little bit but keep the heroics the same difficulty. that is all.
85 Worgen Priest
DISC Priest...did a few normal 5-mans to gauge the mana usage. No problems to report, just have to play smart. No one needs to be topped off at all times. Feel free to let a DPS die during last 2% of boss and focus on your tank if you start ooming

That original poster is probably just doing it wrong.
90 Orc Shaman
I for one hope that they keep things the way they are as I am *greatly* enjoying the challenging aspects of the game again instead of the ROFLFACEROLL that WotLK was. Please Blizz, do not cave in! Keep the game challenging!

I am GLAD that they started to enforce people doing something other than mashing the same 2 buttons over and over. The fact that we need to use CC and that people cant afford to ignore standing in stuff on the ground anymore is awesome.

In short, if you suck, you will suck harder now. If you are good, you will shine all the more by comparison. Learn to play your classes and have situational awareness and the game will reward you.
Edited by Pulzug on 12/13/2010 10:41 AM PST
36 Worgen Warrior

You seem to be off by a little bit though.

You want us to pick and choose our healing spells, but if you want that you should really think about making our 'heavy' spells heal for more, the current ratio doesn't allow for us to use these spells.
90 Tauren Paladin
As hard as it is for me personally, the new healing paradigm is excellent. Challenging is good.
90 Undead Mage
I find that a good selection of cc will keep DMG off the tank, and be easyer on the mana pool. however not every group has a warlock, drood and a mage to cc any and all mobs that come up. one reasion guild runs are helpull
68 Night Elf Priest
I think blizzard should reverse their thinking some. If healing is as horrible at 85 from what im hearing... then something has to be done to allow the player base to get through the content more easily. Noone is in teir gear for that lvl yet and getting people to that point is gona be a pain.

Personally i'd love to so them nerf the mana cost of the spells some while nerfing the overall healing potential. There should be a middle ground where u can spam heals for different effects or set ups. For instance greater heal could keep the same healing power coefficients while say flash heal with reduced mana cost and time to cast heals for much much lower values. I think the main issue is if you are running an instance with little knowledge of how or when the incoming damage is gona hit our first response is to top of the tanks. This way a "mini" heal would be ok and the use of the larger heals reserved for the actually damage hit. As it is now healing feels very clunky and non responsive without ooming ourselves

These changes would also fit well with pvp. As u can spam say flash heal...but at a reduce effect to where it will not out heal a burst from a team. Another words the value of the heals themselves need to be nerf'd not driving up the mana cost to insane lvls making healing a job.

These ideas should be tested for a more balanced game where people can enjoy their fuction in the raid without thinking they are a cog in the wheel.
Edited by Azshadora on 12/13/2010 10:46 AM PST
85 Draenei Mage
Tanks and healers pay in order for everyone else to enjoy the game.

That's the way things are set up. Yes many do enjoy tanking and healing.. (have a healer myself) but there's a reason why you get a group instantly as a tank or healer, but have a 50 min wait as a dps.

Blizzard has set things up that some peoples enjoyment comes at the cost of others. Either make tanking and healing more fun, or make it hold less responsibility on the entire groups success or failure.

Will there every be a time when DPS is in shortage on the LFD? How come so few play tanks?

Why is this?
Edited by Vynalla on 12/13/2010 10:43 AM PST
90 Worgen Druid
12/13/2010 10:40 AMPosted by Mxahan

You want us to pick and choose our healing spells, but if you want that you should really think about making our 'heavy' spells heal for more, the current ratio doesn't allow for us to use these spells.

idk about other classes, but the druid heavy heal heals for plenty, 10%-15% of the char's max health should be enough (my "big" heal does about 13k and the tank I run with is just over 100k HP) You just have to know your class and how your spells abilities and talents work together. IT'S NOT THAT HARD!
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
run normals to get better gear, get your rep up with factions. THEN run heriocs.

NUF SAID!
36 Worgen Warrior
12/13/2010 10:43 AMPosted by Shøul
12/13/2010 10:40 AMPosted by Mxahan
[quote="14063104745"]It's definitely challenging to heal in Cataclysm and that's by design. We want players to pick and choose what spells to use and when. Those in your group will also need to be conscious of whether or not they're putting out enough DPS, taking too much damage, and more. You'll probably be pulling out more "tricks" from your bag than you've been doing in awhile. You're also going to miss a time or two, run out of mana at a bad time and find yourself trying to figure out just what went wrong. Even experienced healers are going to have to dig their heels in a bit.

idk about other classes, but the druid heavy heal heals for plenty, 10%-15% of the char's max health should be enough (my "big" heal does about 13k and the tank I run with is just over 100k HP) You just have to know your class and how your spells abilities and talents work together. IT'S NOT THAT HARD![/quote]

10-15 percent of max health on a heal that takes an 8th of your total mana?

That is off in my book.

I'm not asking for a spell that heals people to full health.

But a healing spell that takes that much mana should probably heal more in the range of 30-40 percent of a person's max health, otherwise there's no point in using it when you could instead use 'heal' 3 times for less mana and more health.
90 Orc Shaman
12/13/2010 10:42 AMPosted by Vynalla
Tanks and healers pay in order for everyone else to enjoy the game.

That's the way things are set up. Yes many do enjoy tanking and healing.. (have a healer myself) but there's a reason why you get a group instantly as a tank or healer, but have a 50 min wait as a dps.

Blizzard has set things up that some peoples enjoyment comes at the cost of others. Either make tanking and healing more fun, or make it hold less responsibility on the entire groups success or failure.

Will there every be a time when DPS is in shortage on the LFD? How come so few play tanks?

Why is this?

I couldnt disagree with this more. There are fewer tanks and healers because most people dont want the responsibility of dealing with a critical role. You HAVE to pay attention as a tank or healer, and in the past you could sleep through being DPS. This is no longer the case as due to mechanics you at least have to pay passing attention to your surroundings, interrupts, CC, and buffs/debuffs to be successful as DPS. Eventually the poor dps will realize this and either step up or quit. Once they realize that they are just as much responsible for a groups success as the tank/healer I think you will find a much more even matchup in queue times.
90 Tauren Druid
The problem with going oom is you have to recognize WHY.

It could be you spamming heals or trying to top everyone off.
    It could be that you haven't figured out the right equilibrium for your heals.
    It could be someone standing in fire and having to keep them alive (likely in fear of being called bad and kicked).
    It could be be mechanics that people are ignoring.
    It could be that no one is using defensive CDs or healing themselves when needed.
    It could be that people refuse to use CC and try to faceroll.
    It could be a bad tank.

100 Draenei Shaman
I've been healing a while. It's been a blast.

I run low on mana a LOT. And drinking every pull on a difficult heroic is a bit tedious. But other then the excessive drinking I like what I'm seeing.

If pulled properly we can sometimes go 2 or 3 groups of mobs before I have to drink now in a heroic. And I did a normal mode last night where I barely drank at all.

I love the new boss mechanics, there are a few my guild group hasn't been able to take down yet. I imagine that's because we are missing a mechanic or two... and we still need a couple of our members to get out of the sub 300 greens they are wearing.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]