Healers taking the brunt of the Cataclysm

85 Human Paladin
12/18/2010 2:03 PMPosted by Thorniam

For the vast majority of people, easy is fun and difficult is not fun.

Blizzard has really pulled a New Coke in this expansion by thinking otherwise.

MMORPG's are difficult, time consuming and rewarding. It's putting in the time and effort that makes downing a boss for the first time such a great feeling of accomplishment. Why play when you can down any boss for the first time without ever really experiencing the fight? Where's the reward in that? A piece of gear that anyone can get after playing for 30 minutes? If you want to play an easy game then you might want to look for something other than an MMORPG.

Problem is that WoW set the quick and easy run standard for 3 years with the end of BC and through Wrath. They said that they wanted people to feel like if they only had an hour to play that they could get something done in that hour. When they set such a standard and change their philosophy between xpacs it can leave people shocked by such severe changes.
I personally wish for all those DPS’rs who think healing is easy and think this new method is fun?

I wish the following:

1. Blizzard would change all your instant abilities into cast times similar to our heals.
2. Blizzard would take away all your self healing abilities.
3. Blizzard would give you a specific amount of resources (energy/rage/similar to mana) so you would have to choose “like we do” with the same horrid regeneration abilities to Mana.

I would love to then see all the QQ that happens;

“DPS”
What? you mean I can only hit the mob 10 times total if I use my hardest hitting dps ability? And my Auto-attack now takes 2.7second cast time each time it swings?

Doesn't this sound like fun?????

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Healers had their fun in WOTLK. Welcome to normal.
85 Human Paladin
Healers had their fun in WOTLK. Welcome to normal.

Thanks for bumping the thread even though its useless drivel.

That being said, ques for DPS are an hour minimum now, the expansion is not old enough for the ques to be so ridiculously high. When are you going to own up to messing up healing blizz? People buy this expansion to see it even if they aren't in a guild ( shocker i know ) but instead get to watch que timers. So awesome. Good thing i can play some xbox while i wait in que, so much fun.
85 Draenei Shaman
I HATE what's been done to me in the weekly nerfing. Yes, my mana pool was increased but around 30%, but now the spells cost DOUBLE what they used to. I'm so sick of getting nerfed left asnd right I'm seriously considering canceling my subscription. It's CRAP now - it just isn't fun anymore, and I value my hard-earned money too much to waste it on something that only leaves me aggravated. Can't wait to see what next week's screwup will bring - reduce my mana pool 40% and quadruple the cost of the spells, then take their effectiveness down to 10%, and leave me with only one possible totem? Waaaaaaaaaay fun, huh?
46 Gnome Warrior
I have to agree, poor healers are having a horrible time. I had a priest healer going OOM in the first boss in Throne of Tides (heroic) pretty much when the first adds were summoned. They need a buff, preferably have the cost of spells lowered a bit.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Healing is not fun, it is just stressful. If the original goal was to have healers think about what spells to use, the design failed. There is no time to think, nor can even the fast heals keep up with all of the damage a tank or the party takes. This is putting regeneration issues aside, which only make it worse.

The time it takes to complete even a normal dungeon, let alone the heroics, is too long. Having to pause after every fight to drink, or even wiping on some of the trash mobs in some of the instances (i.e. Grim Batol, Throne of Tides) because they are completely overpowered in comparison to any healing output you can produce is also just tedious.

I played the game for the first few months after it first went retail and quit, only giving the game another try in WotLK. Why? The reason is exactly what has been brought back in Cataclysm. Long dungeons and raids coupled with pausing or wiping after every pull. To their credit, at least they didn't bring back the terrible loot system.
85 Draenei Shaman
Shammies have it bad. what are u talking about? they screwed us so much, i cant heal thru 1 trash mob, and everyone is saying stack spirit stack spirit, well i am stacking and is isnt ENOUGH. i have just givin up on ever doing heroics, cause i am sick of being blamed cause everyone is taking damage and i go oom. so no, shammies are no exception, we got beaten with the nerf stick so bad i want to /die
85 Human Paladin
12/20/2010 1:02 PMPosted by Necastle
Healing is not fun, it is just stressful. If the original goal was to have healers think about what spells to use, the design failed. There is no time to think, nor can even the fast heals keep up with all of the damage a tank or the party takes. This is putting regeneration issues aside, which only make it worse.

The time it takes to complete even a normal dungeon, let alone the heroics, is too long. Having to pause after every fight to drink, or even wiping on some of the trash mobs in some of the instances (i.e. Grim Batol, Throne of Tides) because they are completely overpowered in comparison to any healing output you can produce is also just tedious.

I played the game for the first few months after it first went retail and quit, only giving the game another try in WotLK. Why? The reason is exactly what has been brought back in Cataclysm. Long dungeons and raids coupled with pausing or wiping after every pull. To their credit, at least they didn't bring back the terrible loot system.

Blizzard doesn't seem to grasp the mess they have made by making the game so open in WOTLK to everyone and then slamming the door closed in Cata. Or maybe they don't care, honestly its hard to say. I'm sure they don't plan for people to quit paying though. I'm definately curious to see what happens in a month or two and their reaction to sub losses.
84 Night Elf Druid
12/13/2010 10:34 AMPosted by Nethaera
We want players to pick and choose what spells to use and when.

With health pools so high, and a focus on healing efficiently rather than responding to crazy spike damage and being forced to keep players topped off no matter what at all times, we don't really get to choose what spells to use. We are forced to use slow, boring, yet efficient heals almost exclusively, and rely on fast exciting heals far less.

Our fun heals like penance, tranquility, etc are taking a backseat to spells that our characters learned at a much lower level.

Our exciting cooldown abilities, our bag of tricks as you put it, such as natures swiftness, are no longer worth investing into ( see elitist jerks forums )

Come on Blizzard take a play from your own book - passive talents like benediction efficiency etc were removed in favor of exciting activated abilities. And essentially what we are being told to do is heal passively, when what we want is a more active healing that makes us feel less like a penny pinching heal dispenser and more like a powerful hero
Edited by Morpha on 12/20/2010 2:42 PM PST
85 Draenei Shaman
I started healing with this character at the end of wrath, so when I started healing in cata it was a steep learning curve, however I am really enjoying healing now a lot more then I did when I could keep earth shield on the tank, and then spam chain heal without thought.

-I had to learn to use Healing wave as my main heal

-Learning how and when to use healing rain is huge. It is very expensive, but is absurdly effective when used right.

-One of the biggest habits I had to unlearn was topping dps off. Back when I was raiding during BC with my priest I could spare some down-ranked renews to top off dps. Of course back then dps didn't have health pools with this much buffer room either.

-From that old renew habit I have found myself using Riptide to heal dps more and more often. If I see one at 80%, hit them with riptide, and let it tick while I heal someone else.

-One of the biggest things I am still working on is recasting water shield. Because I am direct healing more, and casting more spells I burn through charges faster and lose out on the mana regen from it.
85 Dwarf Paladin
I've really had yet to have an issue. Try replacing that useless trinket, pallies have no reliable hot that will always be up
Looking at some of the dribble in this forum makes me vomit a little;

"I had to learn to cast Healing Wave as my main heal".
- (Rofl) puhleeze; you mean you had to read your spell book (tool-tips) for the slowest/most mana efficient spell to spam (like the rest of us). No learning involved..

We as healers are all forced to be the underdog; to NOT be challenged by casting the right spell at the right time, but instead to spam our most efficient heal because we are being blamed when a group fails; because unlike our dps counter parts we don't have infinite resources to keep going and going and going while passively out healing our healers heals..

We as healers instead have to play a boring game of efficiency while spamming our heal/healing-wave/nourish/ (same spell renamed) over and over and over again.

Quite honestly; I'm not sure why blizzard just didn't remove all the healing classes and create one since we all heal with the same renamed spells now..

Point is: Healers are broke, healers didn't scale well; healer mana regen is a Joke..

Healers need to be fixed!
90 Draenei Paladin
Healing is in need of some serious looking at. I'll say it again, if all they wanted was us to keep the party members at 50% health during fights, why not just cut the darn health pools to half and be done with it. Bah.

I know how to heal. I've adjusted. I'm using radiance, flashlight, div light when things are in need of a lot of help yet div light barely makes a dent and I know that I can only use it a few times or my mana will be done for. I judge when I can but hello! standing in bad things negates the benefits of CS/Judging if I have to use it to heal myself. So, can't always do the things I need to do anymore. I shock all I can to drive up my HP. LoH went from a barely used spell to 'hey, off CD, phew'. I HL dps when they start taking damage and only use HL or shock if my AoEs are on CD or not enough. I barely use div light on the dps because it's just too expensive and I have to make sure I have enough to last the fight.

I can heal cata normals. I highly doubt I want to go through heroics at this point. I'm still gearing up, can't get all the enchants I want for the high prices. I'm hating normals. Dreading heroics. Such a change from the last xpac where normals and rep was fine. There were dailies and options. I can't even craft any nice items to get my foot in the door because they take chaos orbs...which only drop in heroics and are soulbound. I understand they wanted to make things more challenging but so many of the bosses are like mini-raid bosses, with lots of mechanics, which makes it all the more challenging with our already stressed healing issues. There's just very little breathing room.
85 Draenei Paladin
Guys I want to thank you for the advice. I ignored Buzzard and went back to straight heals and let the dumbest dps die. I had mana to burn. I wiped once due to not realizing that I was in wrong place and was so bored from pressing 5 and 9 (heal and penance). I do not think I will run randomns as soon as my guild starts raiding which is kind of sad because they used to be my favorite part. I like talking to stangers but healing is even worse if I can only afford two spells. I do not want it easier. Now that know how buzzard wants me to heal it seems fairly simple. I loved my priest because even if I was never the best at anything I had a lot of tricks. I can't use them so what the heck are they there for?
85 Night Elf Druid
Lots of folks and alot of views in this thread. I only speak for myself, I really don't what the community at large thinks. Healing now is so dependent on how others perform that I have no wiggle room for errors on my part. Since so many healers are not having trouble I suspect that it's me that is the problem and I need to either l2p or go dps. I don't want Heroics nerfed, when folks learn fights and get better gear they will by default be nerfed by our player skill.

I did like the fast paced "whack a mole" healing style of WotLK. I do believe that druid healing style has been too homogized to be similiar to other healers styles. What I would like to see is Heroics stay the way they are but healers get some type of change to make it more fun, Pugs don't like to wipe to learn so learning can be very brutal in LFD.

In short, before I could heal through mistakes, now I make one triage misstep and "zap" someone is dead on my watch ( I used to heal pets, dps and anyone who needed help, no matter the reason). One less LFD healer right now is the bottom line and in the grand scheme is a non issue, but hey, maybe I'm not alone in my thoughts.
85 Tauren Druid
i understand what you are saying about it but i am one of the best healer's in this game i and never had a proublem befor yeha its a great idea to make every one work and and make sure the groupe kno what they are doing this is like vanilla but a night mear i got in grps and we can do any thing with out a druid or me going oom every other healer class can be do it but the druids. so my queshton is y did you guys make the druid heals so crappy because untill you guys fix it druids cant heal what so ever other's can but on my server we cant. we even stack spirt n it still goes oom because 1 rejuv were at 90 percent then i do a life bloom omen procs regrowth on tank and i have to over heal just to get tank up and oom i even do every thing i can do too keep every one alive flask i use feast i use posions and still we go oom but not the paladins nore the shamans
85 Tauren Druid
i kno the proublem yes stack spirt ok but dont try to keep every one toped off this is basics of vanilla shaman healers are really good if played right i have to keep ur all ur healing and mana regeneration totem out but yes they really screwed over the heals on this expanchion.
85 Tauren Druid
12/23/2010 2:50 PMPosted by Muruk
i understand what you are saying about it but i am one of the best healer's in this game

Superiority complex much? Also, maybe you should use a browser with spell check, as I had to translatle much of what you posted.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]