Healers taking the brunt of the Cataclysm

90 Draenei Shaman
Welcome to the new healing model. Health pools have tripled. Mana costs have quadrupled. Base healing amounts of our spells have increased maybe 10%. Ridiculously frustrating, boring and unimaginitive solution to WoTLK healing issues. At this point, I would probably be better off using embersilk bandages to heal the tank. I enjoyed playing a healer previously but will not venture into 5 man raids as one until this is looked at.
24 Undead Mage
The difficulty of new dungeons is ramped up to insane in beta and then gradually toned down. The nerf bat will come. If you don't believe me read about it from Wow Senior game designer John Lagrave

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/236709,world-of-warcraft-john-lagrave-senior-game-producer.aspx
85 Draenei Shaman
I've modeled it in my head and have it all figured out.

The problem is responsibility.

Healers are responsible for the group. "All" we have to do is keep the group up. This is something I think Blizz has not accounted for is that healers tend to be very touchy(moreso than DPS at least) Many healers see it as a personal failure if someone dies. In essence, they punish themselves when the DPS dies due to Blizzard's vermin control(vermin being bad DPS). These are the nurturers of society mostly. A definite parent role in the game.

Tanks are indirectly responsible for the group. You affect the group through the mobs, by having the mobs hit you instead of your group. Tanks also tend to take deaths badly, regarding that deaths reflect badly on their job performance(minus the standing in stupid. No way a tank can help that) The protectors of society, another parental role.

So we have two socially positive roles. What does that leave?

DPS. DPS is responsible for mobs. While you can think if you want, it's not required. It makes your "parents" jobs easier, but you can always just get carried when you get tired and sleepy. Maybe naptime, just stand in that stupid over there. No responsibility, no skill required(I mean, you can always just say DPS meters don't mean a thing), and you can always feel good about yourself by blaming others. If the other two roles are parents, this role is a child. The parents take care of them and hope it pays off eventually. Plus, two parents, three kids? That seems reasonable.

I propose a change to the fundamental organization of WoW instead of a mechanic change.

Introduce responsibility to the DPS. How you might ask?

It is now the DPS job to nuke the healer in the group. If the healer is still standing, you fail! Everyone will now blame you! Pointing the finger that indicates shame! Get cracking!
85 Blood Elf Priest
Wall of Din

Ummm...I was healing Regs until just yesterday and I had no major issues at all.

- Penance is the cheap version of Gheal, and stacks 3 grace. Every. Cooldown. Do it.
- PWS refunds its own mana cost if you know what you're doing. And it's effectively an ~11k instant heal.
- Renew? Laugh at me speccing for it, but it helps your throughput massively and lets you use Heal more often.
- Heal refreshes the Weakened Soul condition, letting you cast more "free" PWS. Which I found you can still do in Heroics.
Edited by Catchtwotwo on 12/24/2010 11:42 AM PST
85 Draenei Paladin
Ok I will bite, how does PWS refund its manna?
90 Tauren Druid
I agree that we are getting a harder job than before, but we aren't taking the brunt.

The dps are.

They just aren't actually DOING it, so we get !*%#ed :). In a truely good group it takes 6-7 pulls to go oom.
85 Dwarf Shaman
The only annoying thing I've noticed so far is that it really isn't "pick and choose" heals. It's just a game of only using the most efficient heal possible so as not to go OOM. Trying to be as efficient as possible doesn't really equate to fun.
90 Tauren Shaman
12/19/2010 3:06 PMPosted by Aryél
I personally wish for all those DPS’rs who think healing is easy and think this new method is fun?

I wish the following:

1. Blizzard would change all your instant abilities into cast times similar to our heals.
2. Blizzard would take away all your self healing abilities.
3. Blizzard would give you a specific amount of resources (energy/rage/similar to mana) so you would have to choose “like we do” with the same horrid regeneration abilities to Mana.

I would love to then see all the QQ that happens;

“DPS”
What? you mean I can only hit the mob 10 times total if I use my hardest hitting dps ability? And my Auto-attack now takes 2.7second cast time each time it swings?

Doesn't this sound like fun?????

Well said, agreed.

Hmm..maybe Blizzard wanted to make the healer more involved in the raid party; having to react more and be protected by his group. Problem is, healing was already difficult to begin with (depending on the group and dungeon of course.) Also, most groups I played with as a healer wouldn't give me a second thought; I'd be left to fend for myself while trying to keep them alive.

Understand, it is very stressful being a healer—not just because of the mana levels, fast-falling life bars and being attacked simultaneously, but also because of the stress we feel in knowing that we are often held accountable for people dying. Especially the tank. We've taken a lot of crap, and it reminds me of my years in high-paced customer service (which I hated (minimum wage to take abuse with a smile.) Why would I pay for such treatment?

So like healers have kept repeating in this thread, I'll say it yet again: we come here to play a game, not to work customer service.

90 Orc Shaman
I've said it before...with CC, mana isn't so much of an issue. However, some spells like chain heal and surge are pretty useless now..not completely.

The problem is people not using CC...for me that's the main problem I'm facing.

If healing surge is useless to you as a shaman now, you are definitely doing it wrong. Look over all your resto talents again, and READ the descriptions.
83 Dwarf Priest
I have an '83 Priest and a '85 (half heroically geared) Shammy healer. Insofar as my Shammy goes I have to say that the problem I have with Cataclysm healing is not that we run out of mana, but that we run out of mana in 20 seconds flat. That is simply not fun. What Blizzard has done is not give us any choice in what healing spells we use, Blizzard has made most of our toolbox completely unusable (as in if I actually throw more then one or two of the more interesting healing spells I am basically out of mana so there's no point even having them on my toolbar).

Again, I don't mind running out of Mana. I like the challenge. I *DO* mind running out of mana in 20 seconds flat. Please please please change the mechanics so we don't run out of mana so quickly when we are forced to use healing spells other than a normal Healing Wave.

On my priest I noticed that the mana cost for heals is going up radically as I level, but the healing power is essentially not going up at all. I don't quite understand why Blizzard thinks that's appropriate. I was healing far far better at 81 than I am at 83 in the same normal dungeons!!!! The scaling needs to be improved at least a little, here. Either that or give us our ranked spells back so we can choose to use the more interesting healing spells at lower power levels and not have them eat all of our mana.

My current grading of the new mana burn rate: D-. It isn't fun to heal this way. We have virtually no choice in what spells we choose to cast (Disc priests at least have more choices than Shammies. Shammies have zero choice). Also, I'd like to point out that my Disc priest's CHEAP heals at level 82 heal for more than my Shammy's greater healing wave does at level 85 with half heroic gear. WTF? That makes no sense whatsoever.

-Flash
90 Tauren Shaman
12/24/2010 7:18 PMPosted by Grimshott

You guys need to stop being bad and GET BETTER. LEARN YOUR CLASS.

If only you were as good at reading as you are at rambling. Take a look over these 80-odd pages of healers' complaints. Straight from the horse's mouth.

I’m not sure if this is worth my time and effort, but I’ll respond to each of your points that you listed with such authority as if we healers have much to learn from your wisdom:

1. Blind healing will get you killed! Any miscues, such as incorrect targeting or improper spell, will make sure you are punished immediately in certain circumstances. A proper UI will ensure you are able to watch the screen and bars. Also, make sure you are comfortable with your key bindings and know what your “emergency buttons” are. At the least, it’ll keep you a float while you can catch your breath.

As I’ve posted a few pages back, Blizzard has changed this. Before, we could click on one player and charge a healing spell and then—noticing another player in more dire need—click on that person and heal them. Now the spell goes straight to the first player. You must now click on the second player and heal them. These just wasted seconds here which are precious to us in dire straits. Also, there are cool-downs, and these can be drastically increased if stunned.

2. Pick the right heal for the job.Health is important. Don’t underheal or overheal; we want to find the heal that fits just right. A tank may require the slow, big heal compared to the fast, big heal due to mana concerns. Another issue may be spread damage— in this case, don’t forget about party/AoE heals. Regardless of any nerfing that may have occurred, remember any unnecessary damage accrued by DPS or tanking is, in fact, unnecessary.

Some healers may be foolish enough to “overheal” but I have never noticed it. The “slow, big heal” you describe takes a lot of mana and thus limits our further ability to assist you. This is something we can only afford on an occasion and if your actions are forcing us to do this repeatedly we will run out of mana (likely during a conflict.)

3. Triage! Be smart. Prioritize. What’s more important— a DPS, or a tank, in a 5-man? What’s more important— yourself, or a DPS, in a 5-man? While DPS should get the lowest prioritization, know that if you are doing the job right, not everyone may be at 100% all the time. The name of the game is to manage everyone’s health in order to prevent a nasty one shot or two shot! This runs in tandem with…

If the tank is doing well and a DPSer is losing life, if we don’t act we will get crap for it. If the tank then bolts out of our vision (thus our ability to heal) we must then finish that heal, click on your icon and run through enemy (if necessary) just to get you in our vision so that we can continue healing you. At this point your life bar may be quite low and you will wonder why I was off healing someone else instead. But like I said, healing works slowly for us and seconds are precious. Typically the team acts without any thought of the healer’s responsibilities.

4. Observe damage taken. In order for us to triage smartly, we have to watch people’s health and tendencies. Does this DPS keep running into fire, or pull aggro? Maybe this is the time to kick them out for being unhealthy for the group. Watch the tank’s health during trash pulls and know what abilities they use to indicate how the tank will react to some of the damage. It’s important to know your tank, even in PUGs, so it’s also good to gain some knowledge on how the tanking stats work.

Umm, a healer never asks for a boot. Partly it doesn’t feel like our place (since we are performing a kind of customer service it seems) but also as we are playing the compassionate role and tend to have more of a sense of team spirit than some do. We ourselves are not always capable of healing, and so we realize that DPSers may not always be capable of overcoming their obstacles either. About half the time someone gets booted it’s for the wrong reasons anyway.

5. Dispel those debuffs! You should always dispel a debuff. There is no less important one that will hinder your ability to heal (e.g. Flame Buffet that increases fire damage, a disease that increases physical damage taken, a curse that limits healing ability potential). At worst, you waste some mana due to not being quick enough. At best, you keep your group from dying. Pretty sure the latter is better!

Don’t be stupid, you’re saying. This really seems to clarify your ignorant attitude on healers in general. You are helping to clarify why I refuse to heal anymore.
Edited by Shakkra on 12/26/2010 11:40 AM PST
85 Draenei Shaman
"So like healers have kept repeating in this thread, I'll say it yet again: we come here to play a game, not to work customer service."

I kinda feel this way too. I've had very mixed success with Heroics as a shammy healer. Very very mixed. The burden is really on the DPS and Tanks now to avoid as much damage as possible. When they do it right healing is hard but successful.

When they do it wrong I'm forced to let e.g. a DPS who isn't avoiding avoidable damage die even with a half-full mana bar because I can't afford to cast three greater healing waves on the guy without blowing another 25% of my mana bar straight out, then I have to try to explain to him why he died while my mana bar was still at 50% (because otherwise I won't be able to heal the tank through the whole fight). It's a bit maddening.

I would far rather have my 'big' heals be less powerful and eat less mana so I can at least tell the DPS that they are taking more damage than I can heal, instead of telling them that I can't afford to heal them and still heal the people who are running the fight properly. Plus then I at least feel that I am trying hard. Right now on my Shammy healing is extremely stressful because I just don't feel that I am doing as good a job as a could because my mana gets blown so quickly when the DPS/Tank aren't doing their jobs. Even though I know it isn't my fault it doesn't make me feel any better.

This is possibly why healers have a 30 second queue in heroics... because a lot of people aren't queuing as healers any more due to the stress. I far, FAR prefer DPSing on my shammy as enhancement and supporting a heal than I do being the healer. It is far less stressful. So even though the queue is 30-40 minutes I still queue as DPS more often than I do as a healer. And the groups are more successful with a DPS who can do significant secondary healing (even to the point of using our earth enchantment on one weapon to get serious healing rain output as DPS).

-Flash
85 Draenei Shaman
5. Dispel those debuffs! You should always dispel a debuff. There is no less important one that will hinder your ability to heal (e.g. Flame Buffet that increases fire damage, a disease that increases physical damage taken, a curse that limits healing ability potential). At worst, you waste some mana due to not being quick enough. At best, you keep your group from dying. Pretty sure the latter is better!

Ok this is why having a HUNTER tell you how you should heal is bad. In most cases cleansing/dispel is massively important but in other times it is pointless as the debuff stacks so quickly all you are doing is pouring your mana down a drain (dunno about other classes but cost on Cleanse Spirit is insane).

DEAL WITH IT OR FIND A NEW GAME TO PLAY

This is the attitude I'm really having a problem with. I'm loving resto shaman for heals now in heroics but there are others that are having difficulty. They will figure it out eventually or move on to different specs possibly a different game. Since when did the playerbase of this game become so immensly RUDE?!?! When I started playing in Vanilla (right before BC came out) there was no shortage of people willing to take the time and help me figure things out on my druid and I have since then always been willing to lend a hand to a new player or a player new to a class. Let's try to be nice to each other, k?
90 Tauren Shaman
This is possibly why healers have a 30 second queue in heroics... because a lot of people aren't queuing as healers any more due to the stress. I far, FAR prefer DPSing on my shammy as enhancement and supporting a heal than I do being the healer. It is far less stressful. So even though the queue is 30-40 minutes I still queue as DPS more often than I do as a healer. And the groups are more successful with a DPS who can do significant secondary healing (even to the point of using our earth enchantment on one weapon to get serious healing rain output as DPS).

-Flash

Yeah, there sure is a big difference between quequing as a healer or a DPSer. I also prefer the latter, all said and done. Also agree with your double healer comment, I have found great success when something like this is done as well. As an elemental shaman, I not above offering the healer a helping hand (or self-healing.)

85 Human Death Knight
Go pvp. See if you don't do well.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]