Why are pallys hated so much?

85 Tauren Paladin
I just recently started the game and have come to realize that ,despite pally currently sucking right now, everybody screams that we are OP. I was ret before the cata patchs hit and loved it. After cata? I went holy because i was so sick of getting out DPSd by a hunters pet. In my opinion paladins are already messed up bad, and yet the nerfs keep coming. I just dont see where everybody else is coming from
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
tl;dr Paladins (Rets in particular) used to be free Honor,then in Wrath we were OP for the first few weeks,and people still haven't gotten the notion of "BUBBLE PLAET AND HEALS FAESROL OP U GAIS" out of their skulls.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Bubble is atrocious for anyone but holy right now. I think it should be completely removed from the other 2 specs and be a talent for holy. It literally has no application in the game other than to prevent dying from large falls, which hand of protection does just fine.

Ret being from a hybrid class has literally no meaning anymore with any heal you do healing 1/10th of your health pool.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Think main issue people had with rets is that they could gank people easy with avenging wrath + hammer of wrath. At 80 you could kill someone in non pvp gear with 2 hammers of wrath. After 80 it still hits like a truck but you can at least survive past 2 hits.
Reply Quote
35 Tauren Druid
Lay on Hands.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Because our class color is pink.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Because our class color is pink.

Did Blizzard ever explain why our class color is pink?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
because of five years of extreme oscillation between absolutely terrible as a class and fairly outrageous as a class. even within the class there was intense hatred between ret and holy paladins in vanilla. outside perception of the class has always been colored by having ret paladins blow people in bad gear apart in seconds, having holy paladins that can't be killed by the concerted efforts of six scrublings, and other such.

the class also has the unfortunate reputation of being totally idiot-proof, therefor attracting every terrible player possible, who then apparently finds great success in the class because it takes no skill to be a paladin and win. this is frustrating because apparently other classes are hard to play, particularly those which get beaten by paladins. this is especially true for ret, which is either skill-less faceroll or a terrible spec that shouldn't be allowed to exist in the game, depending on what week it is.

basically, everyone hates paladins, and we hate ourselves. this is why we can't have nice things.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
because of five years of extreme oscillation between absolutely terrible as a class and fairly outrageous as a class. even within the class there was intense hatred between ret and holy paladins in vanilla. outside perception of the class has always been colored by having ret paladins blow people in bad gear apart in seconds, having holy paladins that can't be killed by the concerted efforts of six scrublings, and other such.

the class also has the unfortunate reputation of being totally idiot-proof, therefor attracting every terrible player possible, who then apparently finds great success in the class because it takes no skill to be a paladin and win. this is frustrating because apparently other classes are hard to play, particularly those which get beaten by paladins. this is especially true for ret, which is either skill-less faceroll or a terrible spec that shouldn't be allowed to exist in the game, depending on what week it is.

basically, everyone hates paladins, and we hate ourselves. this is why we can't have nice things.

So true :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
at this point we pretty much perpetuate it by being a bunch of whiney snots, which is also something we are known for amongst the WoW community. when others think you are OP as a class and all they see the class doing is whining on the forums about things, it really doesn't do anything to improve their opinions of the class in general. :p
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Coming from a Druid perspective by having able to also heal, tank, etc, I came into conclusion that in fact Paladins are not Over Powered at all.

I downed countless Pallies before back in the past, but depending whether your a Retribution or a Holy/Protection, all it boils down to one thing;

Skill prioritization and massive healing skills.

Because of that two, not only do Paladins stay alive, they stay efficient and less likely to die from major battles. That's why I believe majority of the classes thing Paladins are pretty damn powerful and I absolutely agree to that term. But I also believe that Paladins were supposed to be essentially stronger than any other class.

Only issue I could really see is if it's against a Paladin versus Paladin, where both would take forever to kill each other since each one would be just spamming Word of Glory. Aside from that, the class is pretty self balance, a little bit a lot more healing spells and moderately high DPS.

I say, leave Paladin as it should be and nerf god damn Rogues.

-K

Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
WTB nerf on frost mages
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Pally were hated prior to the removal of the defensiveness of the class pre cata. In preBC we could double bubble. What I mean is go immune then go protection and pretty much laugh at melee hitting us. Now we really did nothing preBC but heal. Ret was something that was a laughing stock. U might see a ret in a raid at the tail end of OGwow but rarely any other time. BC pally got some love but still had issues like the RNG slot machine that its been reverted back to today. Near the end of BC is where blizzard was on the right track but OPed the pally way to much and thats when it made people rage even more. Everything panned out where we did good dps survived in pvp and were finally getting respect. Now it seems like its all back to lights hope chapel to sit and sing combya with Tyrion. lol!!

Stay safe online and in the real world.
- Cows + pally = win
Reply Quote
There were more paladins because they were easier to play.

Terrible people still rolled other classes.

The fact that there were more paladins meant these terrible players were getting killed by paladins a lot.

And you used to not be able to kill a paladin if you weren't really good at what you do. There was so much terribad forgiveness for the class that it was pitiful. Now though, people should just keep quiet. A paladin dies like anyone else.

Oh, and I was one of those holy paladins who, after learning the horde team didn't use cc, would rush into their spawn area and distract them while my team facerolled the BG. That probably didn't help our relationship with other players. RIP OP Blessed Life.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
People hate us because we went from being lawladins to a viable class when wrath hit. There is no class in this game that takes any type of skill to play whatsoever. Ive played them all. You click buttons and wait for cds on every single class, thats it. Maybe you just click one button faster than the other, but its all faceroll period. Im ret/prot. And ret has always been a lousy class, untill of course wrath hit as I mentioned earlier. Then it went from "Lol, look its a retadin." To "Oh crap its a retadin, kill it quick!!!"

Once that happened, the hate started like a tidal wave. Honestly I think if anything, these latest patches have made the class if anything, easier to play than ever before. I do like the dmg we have and am suprised that prot has become more viable in pvp than I can ever remember, but still glad at that. While ret keeps getting the nerf bat, and trust me its frustrating, well still keep adapting and learning the loopholes to up our dmg. And theyll still keep calling us op simply because we can kill stuff now.

Its sad, but its the way it will always be. If your viable as dps in a "hybrid" class, well your just simply op. Its idiotic I know, but people really believe that.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
^ Truth.

I find ret sucks at given times , I.E. trying to fend off multiples adds while questing or soloing.
As of now im the randoms in either top or second dps as ret.
I have recently just started with the prot spec for questing and it is going alot better/faster for lvling.
I loved ret in Wotlk , it is still somewhat fun nao, but i cant really say anything about the dps til i get to 85 and have actual gear. Normally lvling from 80-85 anyone can be top dps or good dps as long as you know your class and spec in a random.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Its simple.

Everyone else is mad jelly at us stylin' all over them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]