Tips for 85 Holy Paladins

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Maybe this has already been said.. Maybe not.. Regardless, I still see a bunch of complaints on the forums about how much healing sucks and how people are constantly oom.

I can tell you now that even when I enter a heroic in LFD AND there is no cc used at all AND ppl are being retarded. I rarely go completely oom.

Here are some tips. If they've been covered great, if not, I hope they help you.

1. Reforging...... Spirit > Haste > Crit > Mastery...... But you need moar haste!! omg!!1!!!!1!11!!1one Well you can stack haste if you want to but I can tell you that no amount of stacked haste at the heroic 5 man gear level will get your holy light and divine light to anything below 1.7 or 1.8 seconds.. And you WILL be oom..... A LOT.. moving on

2. Judge on cooldown. 15% base mana when you do. Nuff said.

3. Chain your casts with instants.

---Is the tank taking massive damage? No holy power? CAST JUDGEMENT Wind up a Divine Light and follow it immediately with a holy shock. Nice heals, 2 charges of holy power. CAST JUDGEMENT

---Have 3 holy power? CAST JUDGEMENT Wind up a Divine Light follow it immediately with a Word of Glory! This alone can get a tank from 5% health to at least 75% even if only for a second.. At least he's not dead. CAST JUDGEMENT

---Group taking heavy damage? CAST JUDGEMENT Wind up a holy light on the tank (which should have beacon) followed by an immediate holy shock on a party member (2 charges of holy power). Follow that up with another holy light on the tank (3 charges of holy power) and hit them with Light of Dawn. This should keep your party members up unless they have aggro on a mob (their fault), are standing in something (their fault), or have a powerful DoT on them (your fault). CAST JUDGEMENT

4. Conserve mana.. Hard? Not as hard as you may think

---Here's a good one that I know not everyone has heard about. Beacon is free glyphed right? Light of Dawn is free right? Well did you know that Light of Dawn will trigger beacon of light = to the amount of people it hits? Here's a method I use when tanks are taking heavy damage but not quite enough to warrant Divine Light spam.. CAST JUDGMENT Use the above chaining methods to charge your holy power to full. This should take no more than 6 seconds depending on haste and if you get a holy shock crit. You should already be in position to blast the group with Light of Dawn so let er' rip! The tanks sees a holy light heal, a holy shock heal, another holy light heal, a Light of Dawn heal, and beacon of light heal x5!! and the only mana you used in this sequence was the holy lights and the holy shock which are all fairly cheap.. Judge and get that mana back and repeat.

---Beacon is free glyphed... So why not take advantage of that and save some mana when the group is taking damage too! One of your party members just stood in some aoe and you're MAD! Well no mana needs to be wasted on the guy! Chain your heals to charge holy power to full, switch beacon to injured party member, blast group with Light of Dawn, switch beacon back to tank! Yes I just told you how to beacon swap.. USE IT :DDDDDD CAST JUDGEMENT

Always remember that these methods won't work 100% of the time. But that's ok.. We have Avenging Wrath, Divine Favor, Guardian of Ancient Kings, Divine Protection, and Hand of Sacrifice just to name a few useful abilities. Be smart with these and remember to CAST JUDGEMENT and you'll be a winnar :D

Happy healing my fellow paladins
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Would you happen to know the exact syntax for a judgment macro which casts it on the target of the focus target (usually the tank), so that I retain my current friendly target while casting the judgment? The one I tried keeps the enemy targeted for some reason after casting the Judgement on them....

Also, thanks for the tips! I'm sure they will help when I venture out into Cataclysm territory soon enough! :)
Edited by Kismet on 12/13/2010 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Judgement is great to cast on CD... but not at the expense of healing. Light of Dawn is probably your best heal and you should be moving yourself to make the most of your Light of Dawn at all times. I generally rarely use Divine Light or Flask of Light simply because I can make due with holy light and everything else.

Additionally; if you plan on using holy shock immediately after another spell....? Use the holy shock first. It has a cooldown and if it crits it has the capacity to reduce the cast time of your Divine Light. NEVER cast shock after a spell if shock is off CD; use it first so the CD can tick.

I'd also not recommend the beacon glyph. It may be useful in some situations but the mana cost is low enough that it doesn't matter. It may be useful to get into the habit of beaconing a target that is constantly taking damage... but not if it means they die in that GCD it took you to cast Beacon.

Light of Dawn is a must. Then Lay on Hands, Divine Plea, and Cleansing are more useful than Beacon. I am actually thinking of dropping DP just because I find it's far too hard to use due to the lowered healing power and then a 50% reduction from DP. In all reality; the 50% healing reduction is outdated and needs to go. There's no reason to have it in the new healing world.

Also. Use caps less.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/13/2010 2:37 PMPosted by Kismet
Would you happen to know the exact syntax for a judgment macro which casts it on the target of the focus target (usually the tank), so that I retain my current friendly target while casting the judgment? The one I tried keeps the enemy targeted for some reason after casting the Judgement on them....

Also, thanks for the tips! I'm sure they will help when I venture out into Cataclysm territory soon enough! :)

Switching hostile targets seems to be kind of buggy and switches back to your previous for no reason a lot.

I generally just heal with healbot to prevent problems and hit tab judgement or rightclick on monster standing next to me, judgement. My current target is irrelevant as far as healing goes since healbot is cool like that.

Edit: to poster above: Divine Light is great on tank in most heroics or any situation where he's taking a pile of damage and holy light/holy shock arent keeping up. The free HP granted from throwing cheap HLs to the tank is extremely good. Try to shock others since you don't get extra HP from healing tank with it, but if you HL someone who isn't tank you get zero bonus HP. Most of the time just shocking and LoD is enough for dps and all the holy lights go to the tank for more HP to LoD/WoG with.

Also, light of dawn is extremely good and if you catch most of the group in it the beacon heals to the tank are greater than a WoG. It's better to use whenever you can. Once I get into raids I will be glyphing it for the extra target
Edited by Illumía on 12/13/2010 2:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Doesnt mastery effectively increase healing output while not costing more mana like haste? Why doesnt it compete?

Edit: It also uses overhealing effectively.
Edited by Rabel on 12/13/2010 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I believe you are looking for:

/cast [target=targettarget] Judgement

And like the OP; I use mouseover macros to heal so I can keep the boss targeted. It lets me see what he's doing so I know what to prepare for.
Edited by Telorith on 12/13/2010 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

You shouldn't need to keep a friendly targeted at all!

Get grid and clique and all you have to do is click grid frames to heal while targeting whatever you want. I keep an enemy targeted at all times so when my judgement comes off CD i just hit "T" and get my 15% base mana :D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Haste doesn't just increase healing output, it decreases the amount of time it takes to get heals to the target. I find that far more useful. Mastery is weird right now; I'm not exactly sure if it's going to be useful at low gear levels but with high spellpower I can see it being incredibly useful.

On the one negative side; you can't chain cast heals to get a really big shield. The single largest shield takes priority.

It is awesome, however, when you can chain cast Light of Dawn to keep shields up during aoe situations. It helps reduce the incoming damage pretty drastically in a 5 man.
Edited by Telorith on 12/13/2010 2:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Doesnt mastery effectively increase healing output while not costing more mana like haste? Why doesnt it compete?

With the amount of shield that mastery provides.. It would only be effective if the boss hits every 3 seconds or slower.. When do you see that happen? Never If it's trash, forget about it.. On top of that, with the amount of healing it takes to keep people up right now, you should never be overhealing. If your group is full and taking very little damage you shouldn't be healing at all.. You should be standing there to regen mana and chain cast judgement off CD.

Mastery just doesn't stack up in its current state. It would need to be double or triple what it is now to be of any use.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/13/2010 2:46 PMPosted by Deadlyquiet

With the amount of shield that mastery provides.. It would only be effective if the boss hits every 3 seconds or slower.. When do you see that happen? Never If it's trash, forget about it.. On top of that, with the amount of healing it takes to keep people up right now, you should never be overhealing. If your group is full and taking very little damage you shouldn't be healing at all.. You should be standing there to regen mana and chain cast judgement off CD.

Mastery just doesn't stack up in its current state. It would need to be double or triple what it is now to be of any use.

Not exactly... If no damage is incoming cast holy light on the tank to get 3 HP.
Edited by Telorith on 12/13/2010 2:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/13/2010 2:45 PMPosted by Telorith
Haste doesn't just increase healing output, it decreases the amount of time it takes to get heals to the target. I find that far more useful. Mastery is weird right now; I'm not exactly sure if it's going to be useful at low gear levels but with high spellpower I can see it being incredibly useful.

On the one negative side; you can't chain cast heals to get a really big shield. The single largest shield takes priority.

It is awesome, however, when you can chain cast Light of Dawn to keep shields up during aoe situations. It helps reduce the incoming damage pretty drastically in a 5 man.

Haste is good yes.. Spirit is better.. I tried reforging all haste at first and my holy light went from 2.0 cast with judgement up to 1.9... I then switched to spirit and I now have 1001 mp5 WHILE casting.. Much better.. The gear you see on me now is not updated since I have not logged out of the game but long story short, spirit is where its at.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/13/2010 2:41 PMPosted by Rabel

You shouldn't be overhealing with direct heals except for incidental healing done via aoe heals like LoD. In Cata, topping off and overhealing everyone is a waste of mana and mana is in much shorter supply. Additionally, beacon heals don't get the shield. It's not bad persay, but I would rather reforge for haste and spi anyday.
Edited by Illumía on 12/13/2010 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Not exactly... If no damage is incoming cast holy light on the tank to get 3 HP.

You're right here. Saying to "stand there" was not the correct thing to say.. However, I don't stand there and cast holy light to generate the holy power. I usually anticipate the damage and when I know it is coming I will cast a holy light followed immediately by a holy shock on the tank. Holy shock is cheaper than holy light and has a chance to make your next holy light a very short cast. From there I will cast one more holy light and use the Light of Dawn or Word of Glory depending on what is about to happen next.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I don't really understand why Mastery is less effective than Haste. I feel that for the use of efficient spells, such as during Holy Light / Holy Power rotation, haste has two effects - but one of them is negative.

Haste increases the speed of the efficient heals allowing that rotation to push out more HPS and keep the group alive, but it also reduces the effect of your mana regen by using more mana during that "efficient" cast rotation. Because of that negative I don't feel it gains as much as it otherwise would. We already have the ability to increase our HPS at the cost of additional mana, using our larger spells.

Mastery increases effective healing quite well, via a flat percentage absorb. It seems rare for the absorb shield to fall off of targets that are receiving healing in the first place. Mastery increases the value of heals at no additional mana cost. This means that should you be FORCED to use your larger heals, while it may be more often due to the reduced haste compared to those who stack it, those heals will be all the more effective than players who choose the haste route.

While I have no done the math, and maybe some of you have or know of others who have, my instinct tells me that Mastery is the better stat overall because it has no negative effect on efficiency.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
the coolest trick i have learned is using the holy power lag to get 2x full power LoD/WoG with only two casts in between.

If u have two hopo, cast two holy lights, then hit LoD, u will cast a three hopo LoD and have one hopo left over. Then one holy light and one holy shock, and ur next LoD will be three hopo as well.

If ur using any of the lights with ToR, there is a delay where u can use ur hopo before the ToR hopo shows up. Shock has the same lag, but being instant, the hopo is available to use before the gcd is up, which makes shock hopos show up essentially instantly.

Learning to use the hopo lag and shock correctly, is an awesome boost to hps during high damage periods
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
from what ive found it comes to judge as much as possible and yell at the dps to get out of the "fire". i haven't come to the point yet where it was the spell being to slow as it is that i go oom because rtard's doing the before mentioned. ("well i never had to move out of it before")= fail cough*cough*. which is why i may be leaning toward mastery later on for the damage prevention= less healing for the weaker damage in general, comparing it to wrath were you miss a global cool down some one die's.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Light of Dawn. I can't praise it enough. train your guild and watch in awe. With a good group, it buries your other heals.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
loved it i just mastered that all today and i am now ready to mess up raids with my heals i was going oom like no ones biz but now i walk away from most pulls with 50%+ mana it was great help TY <3
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
It's all about timing of abilities and the smarts your group has. I've been DPS'ing as ret while my wife has healed our 5 mans. Last night I healed my first heroic deadmines. Took me some time through the trash and the first boss to get the hang of it and man was it fun. It's like a whole new class.

The key is really in your group. As long as your group is interrupting, CC'ing, being aware of their surroundings and the boss mechanics all goes well.

Time your heals. Beacon the tank. Holy radiance if the group seems to be hovering around 70% and you need a good boost, or if you're moving and a heal over time for the group is needed. Light of dawn if you have full holy power and the group is in front of you. My main heals are holy shock, word of glory, divine light. I moved Holy Light practically off my bar, I may remove it from my bar entirely today.

JUDGE OFTEN. We were doing the Ripsnarl fight and mana conservation is key. I know it sounds dumb, but I thought about this post after our first wipe. I timed my heals and judged when was available and we were smooth sailing.

Word of Glory is your savior. Especially with back to back Eternal Glory procs.
Edited by Moorous on 12/14/2010 6:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Why would you reforge haste? If you need a fast heal then use Flash of light but critting is so much more potent. Meh, I guess its a matter of preference.

I notice that you want anywhere between 1800-2100 spirit for a nice regen if you dont use might and/or replenishment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]