please consider removing dark intent

1 Troll Warlock
Apart from being yet another copy/paste ability from mages this xpac, its incredibly annoying. The ability has very little depth or interaction with the player. its basically a "set it & forget it" ability. introduces "quality of life issues" For example, aff already has a long enough of a ramp up time, this only further increases it.

i dont want to consistently babysit this ability during pvp, were people die all the time, and then im out 9% damage on dots, and lets face it you will balance lock dps around this ability being up 100% of the time.

also the sound it makes when getting stacked, needs to be lowered, its very obnoxious. furthermore, the graphic needs to be removed, its a purple cloud all over my character.

thanks
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
no.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
You know, if you don't want a free 9% damage, I'll take it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/09/2010 2:27 AMPosted by Dubitable
You know, if you don't want a free 9% damage, I'll take it.

If you think it's "free" then you don't understand how the game works. The ability is a nerf disguised as a buff, for reasons that were already outlined by the OP. If you got an ability like Dark Intent, your base damage would be nerfed to compensate, so when you had it on you, you'd do the same damage you do now, and when you didn't, you'd be nerfed.

Dark Intent has no purpose except to meet the mandatory "three new abilities for every class" quota.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/08/2010 10:50 PMPosted by Jazzbrez
Apart from being yet another copy/paste ability from mages this xpac, its incredibly annoying. The ability has very little depth or interaction with the player. its basically a "set it & forget it" ability. introduces "quality of life issues" For example, aff already has a long enough of a ramp up time, this only further increases it.

i dont want to consistently babysit this ability during pvp, were people die all the time, and then im out 9% damage on dots, and lets face it you will balance lock dps around this ability being up 100% of the time.

also the sound it makes when getting stacked, needs to be lowered, its very obnoxious. furthermore, the graphic needs to be removed, its a purple cloud all over my character.

thanks

GTFO please
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Sigh @ people who can't see past BUT IT GIVES ME +DAMAGE SO IT MUST BE GOOD FOR ME

Dark Intent is pretty bad. Not ISF bad, but as the OP said, we already have multiple Dots + Haunt + Shadow Embrace to 'layer up' our damage, another mechanic on top of that is unneeded. If all it did was add +haste to the lock and recipient, it would probably be ok and be a minor form of Lock raid utility, but the layering mechanic is just more build up on a spec that already has far too much.

But I guess it could be worse, I'm sure if they are not already, Shadowpriests are going to be balanced around the assumption of recieving Dark Intent and just get boned if they don't have a warlock buddy to hitch up to. As bad as it is for us, it's even worse for them.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
12/09/2010 7:58 AMPosted by Xavinos
It's called homogenisation. Deal with it.

if thats what you want to call it, Look to me like a lack of originality. I can understand homogenisation to an extent, but nobody brought mages for this ability, so why does another class need it?
Edited by Starshift on 12/9/2010 8:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Troll Warlock
12/09/2010 8:14 AMPosted by Starshift
12/09/2010 7:58 AMPosted by Xavinos
It's called homogenisation. Deal with it.

if thats what you want to call it, Look to me like a lack of originality. I can understand homogenisation to an extent, but nobody brought mages for this ability, so why does another class need it?

another class didnt need it & lets be frank here, locks arent lacking any group or raid utility. we already have enough, even more than other pures, like rogues.

earlier poster pretty much summed it up:

"Dark Intent has no purpose except to meet the mandatory "three new abilities for every class" quota."
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I love that the OP thinks DI is bad in pvp.......... OP must be bad at pvp.

In a random bg sure, it's not that great.

But in a rated arena match or a rated bg it's AWESOME.

3v3, Resto Shaman, Warlock, DK. DI the dk. It will stay at full stacks most of the match and provide a substantial buff for both damage dealers.

Rated bgs, put it on a dot heavy damage dealer or a resto druid who is staying at the same points of interest as you. It will stack to full quickly in combat and stay at a full stack for the duration of a fight.

When you actually have dedicated healers and intelligent players, people don't die very fast in rated pvp.

Warlocks have always been tuned around wind up damage, and frankly if you want remove some of the wind up, shadow embrace is much worse of a wind up than DI is.

I'd target your rage on shadow embrace if you want warlock damage dealing to be less back loaded.

Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Damn stack falls off all the damn time. Only class I've been able to get up a 3 stack with has been a spriest. *grumbles* But it's fine I guess. I'm assuming better gear will improve the talent from "hey why isn't it ever procced" to "oh cool it's stacked."

Our level 85 spell is so.................. not freezing circle or lifegrip or dark simulcrum or any of the other fun abilities though.

The moment I hit 85 I headed off to another instance and on the first mini-boss, I popped my ubertastic Demon Soul ability with my trusted imp Pagyap at my side.

The duration is 30 seconds until you crit 3 times as destro with an imp out. Guess what. It lasted 30 seconds. I never crit. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. What a start to our level 85 ability. So lame. I know my gear took a giant dump so obviously the ability is trash right now, but still, reading the ability over.... it's so... boring.

At least we got an instant-cast totem killer though.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
@Selenora Army of the Dead feels even worse than that when you compare it to something like mirror image, demonic teleport, or any of the other actually useful level 80 abilities.

Reply Quote
1 Troll Warlock
12/09/2010 12:11 PMPosted by Shunyata
I love that the OP thinks DI is bad in pvp.......... OP must be bad at pvp.

i never mentioned the ability is bad in any part of my post. you must not be able to read properly.

"Warlocks have always been tuned around wind up damage, and frankly if you want remove some of the wind up, shadow embrace is much worse of a wind up than DI is.

I'd target your rage on shadow embrace if you want warlock damage dealing to be less back loaded."

Aff has been tuned around "wind up damage", not destro & demo is a bit of both. I'm not going to argue over shadow embrace, its a lost cause. the ability is there as a control method for lock dps. in the same way shadowform controls priests from being able to do alot of damage and cast heals/other holy abilities.

Edited by Jazzbrez on 12/9/2010 4:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
Seriously. As destro I'm already basically a fire mage with a clunkier, more movement unfriendly rotation. I don't need this to really rub it in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]