Guild System FAQ/Guide

90 Troll Hunter
Wow, I'm kind of surprised this post is still thread is still alive, I admit I've gotten busy with work and thought it had gotten buried.

Scanning over the questions asked...

My guild rep cap isn't resetting every Tuesday like is should, what can I do?
There was a hotfix on the 27th that hopefully addressed this problem:
# Weekly guild reputation caps should now properly reset at the scheduled time. An error which prevented this reset from taking place if guild experience was earned at exactly 3:00 AM server time immediately prior to weekly maintenance has been corrected.

If you still experience problems with it next week I'd submit another GM ticket.

How else do I accumulate Guild Reputation other than questing?
The activities that earn you guild reputation are the same activities that earn you guild experience. Turning in Quests (regular or daily), Guild Group Boss Kills, and Guild Group pvp activities (may be rated battlegrounds only?)

Can I earn Guild Achievement credit for completing a lower level instance if I solo it myself or complete it with a group less than 4 players but comprised entirely of guild members?
In theory the answer is no, though I haven't tested that.
Edited by Sariax on 12/29/2010 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Thank you for this posting! It helps alot with clarity on the guild levels/exp. (which I admit is confusing!)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I seem to be stuck at having contributed 1575002 xp to the guild for this week. That number doesn't go up.. is there a cap on how much an individual contribute per week?

I haven't read anything about any kind of individual contribution cap on guild xp. It's possible that one exists, but I also don't trust the armory pages much at current. They still seem buggy to me. The average ilvl numbers tend to disagree with those I see in game, and there's reputation bars missing from the reputation lists at the very least.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/11/2010 1:07 PMPosted by Ravek
I have a quick question are alts i.e. low level chars able to help contribute to guild exp... Or is there a certain level requirement or time in guild requirement???

Any member of the guild can contribute, though if I understand it correctly it's percentage based. Completing a lower lvl quest that awards 10k XP will only award 2.5k GXP. Completing a lvl 85 quest that awards 100k XP should award 25k GXP.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Okay, I've got a question here:

Myself and 2 Guildies just ran UK (non-heroic) on some of our lower toons.
I was dual boxing (albeit poorly) and our mix was thus:

70 Priest, 71 Warlock, 72 Pally, 73 Hunter
We did indeed have the guild flag up by the mini-map, but we did not have 5 people.

We also had the DF debuff up for the first ~25 minutes of the run since we had Q'd in the DF, but then decided we didn't want to put someone through the pain of noobs running a dungeon.

We did not get any guild rep(or XP) at all during the run except for post dungeon when we turned in the quests. Our hunter had already done the quests. We succeeded with all 3 boss encounters and only died a few times on other mobs due to noobosity.

Because of the debuff, we entered the dungeon the normal way including a meeting stone summon of two of the players.

Does anyone know why we didn't get guild rep/XP for the boss kills?

I saw in another place that only raid bosses grant guild XP, but that's not what it indicates here. Does it need to be heroic? No one was wearing a guild tabard. Do we need to wear one?

I'd call this one a bug, especially if you didn't earn any regular xp while doing the instance.

It seems I reached guild Rep cap for the week very quickly on my Main. However I am noticing that I am gaining Rep very slowly on this toon. I am only being awarded about 15 rep per quest turn in. Did they reduce the amount in a recent hot-fix. Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

I believe they reduced the rate at which you earn guild reputation via quests at the same time they reduced the rate your earn guild experience via quests as I've noticed the same thing.

Can I take four high level guild toons and stomp through all the vanilla instances to get the achievements, or if I have to be at that instance level?

You should be able to take a group of high level characters and stomp through the instance for the achievement.

12/12/2010 1:58 AMPosted by Niveusnex
There seems to be no defined 'max' on getting guild rep. I am stuck at 500/6000 while others are honored and still gaining rep. I find this highly unfair as to they can buy guild items where as i cant, even thou I have put as much effert into leveling as they have. i see alot of ppl asking for BLUE answers. Its been almost a week now, where are the BLUES? I, for one, rate this expansion as the most dissappointing one ever for BLizz, for many reason, i wont post here. What I can figure out,IF, adn thats a huge IF, theres is a 3500 per week max and it resets tuesday morning, then those that started at midnight, may have gotten 3500 before the first reset, thatn anotehr 3500 after that. That should put them at 4500/6000. Thats just friendly, 1501 shy of honored. So, whats the deal, blizzard? give us some answers and make it fair for all.

None of the guild rewards confer any statistical bonus to your character, and even if you're a week behind you'll be able to earn rep and get them next week. Most of the guild rewards require only honored reputation to purchase and many of them can't even be unlocked yet.

I have quick question, I joined one guild and was earning between 12-18 rep per turn in. I /gquit because i wasn't loving the guild dynamic. I then joined a new guild that same day. Since joining the new guild i am earning between 1-8 rep per turn in. My question is why? Is it because the new guild is lvl 2 as opposed to the first guild being lvl 1? I avg 6 per turn in at that rate it will take 500 quests just to be friendly.

thankss for any info

Are the quests that you're turning in now green instead of yellow? I would assume that you receive less reputation for easier quests than current level quests.
Edited by Sariax on 12/29/2010 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
This is the method Blizzard went with to prevent large/active guilds from having a significant advantage over smaller/more casual guilds when it comes to raiding and obtaining Guild Perks/Rewards

I disagree, large, and hardcore guilds have a huge advantage over smaller more casual guilds. The large guilds have to do alot less work per person due to how much is being done, small guilds that dont have 10+ people working most of the day will not hit the cap each day. When the 10-15 people that do play, get their mains/alts to 85, they will no longer quest. That ends guild exp. I know this, most of my guild has hit 85, and we barly hit guild exp cap. Its draining and at days end, I personaly dont want to log on tomarrow and start that again.

So, in no way do I agree with what you say about large guilds not haveing a significant advantage, they do, they have alot less work they need to do to level. Small guilds are doomed with how this is.

Once you start running guild group heroic dungeons or raids you will GXP cap very quickly.

Broils down to the questions:

Am I not contributing because I am 85, or because of this cap? Or was it just some unseen lag that didn't register the xp I earned? Will the other 8.5 million be awarded next week, thereby not making my efforts useless?

Right now, I am telling my guildies not to feel that the guild -needs- them to hit quests, as it is counter productive, putting in work that won't count. We can't hit the daily total cap (again, the blue bar) because the more driven people cannot contribute after wednesday. If that xp is just plain wasted and lost, as far as guild xp is concerned, I cannot see us making it past level 5.

I admit, I haven't taken notice if questing at 85 awards GXP despite the fact that you can no longer earn XP (since you're lvl capped). The most effective way to earn GXP once you're rep capped is by far and large running Guild Group Dungeons, especially on heroic. One Heroic Halls of Origination takes my guild from 50% to capped or nearly capped. Two runs in addition to the regular activity is pretty much guaranteed to cap us. Running lvl 85 Normals still awards GXP, but it's a much smaller amount.

When does the guild xp daily cap reset? What happens if you don't meet the daily xp cap?

Judging by some details in some of the recent hotfix notes, I'm going to guess that it resets at 3am server time every day, which is when daily quests reset as well. To the best of my knowledge currently if you don't meet the GXP cap on a given day, then the unmet portion of the cap is lost.

Great FAQ!

Anyone know why the first couple days I was getting 100% of normal xp from quest as guild xp, but now I am only getting 25% of a quests xp as guild xp?

Stealth nerf to guild XP contributed.

Not really a stealth nerf, a blue posted that they were doing it.
Edited by Sariax on 12/29/2010 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
I didn't read throught the whole thread - sorry if this is covered.

If you level a character starting at 1 within a guild, how much time do they save in the "reaching exalted" process? I'm beginning to despair of my lvl 47 warlock alt reaching Friendly before reaching 85.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Wow, thanks a lot for this thread! I had a few questions but I had no idea how much I didn't know (and subconsciously wanted to know) until I read this. Really helpful and should have been official but for whatever reason Blizzard always seems to be behind on explaining basic game mechanics and how stuff works =\.

One concern I'd like to add which was probably brought up already: If for whatever reason you want to change guilds or your guild breaks apart or your GM is a douche who kicks you for the hell of it, I feel that your guild rep (or at least a percentage of it) should be tied to your character so you don't start back at step1 should you change guilds for whatever reason. Or at least some variation which addresses this concern.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/31/2010 5:53 AMPosted by Whunder
I didn't read throught the whole thread - sorry if this is covered.

If you level a character starting at 1 within a guild, how much time do they save in the "reaching exalted" process? I'm beginning to despair of my lvl 47 warlock alt reaching Friendly before reaching 85.

Unfortunately Guild Rep earned from quests seems to be related to the amount of XP the quest rewards. When seeing a normal quest in Twilight Highlands at lvl 84 (on my druid) only rewarding 33 guild rep, it's probably not possible to get much in the way of guild rep on a lower lvl alt, which is something that I hope they will fix in the long term. Not sure how much guild rep you would earn if you ran a guild dungeon group at lower levels.

12/31/2010 8:45 AMPosted by Naxa
One concern I'd like to add which was probably brought up already: If for whatever reason you want to change guilds or your guild breaks apart or your GM is a douche who kicks you for the hell of it, I feel that your guild rep (or at least a percentage of it) should be tied to your character so you don't start back at step1 should you change guilds for whatever reason. Or at least some variation which addresses this concern.

Fortunately Guild Rep really only has two functions, limiting purchase of guild rewards, and limiting contribution to certain passive guild achievements. In both cases, most rewards and participation are unlocked at honored, which only takes 3 weeks.
Reply Quote
So I open a ticket to a CSR about how my guild's XP Dailt limit didn't reset 'AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!' And you link me this???

Seriously get this crap sorted out! This is the 6th time my guild has had a whole day of 2-5% of the guild XP available.

And as my guild generaly hits 90-95% of our total everyday I can equate that to meaning a level and a half already!

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
whats happens if i leave my guild,,,do i lose all my rep and rewards..As some guilds are now getting very clickly, some thing like a tight five who are running the dungeons and to hell with the rest of the guild
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
01/03/2011 4:28 PMPosted by Bluie
whats happens if i leave my guild,,,do i lose all my rep and rewards..As some guilds are now getting very clickly, some thing like a tight five who are running the dungeons and to hell with the rest of the guild

If you leave your guild and join a new guild your guild reputation bar is reset. Any rewards you purchased while in your old guild are yours to keep from the moment you purchase them.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Grats on the sticky.

Now if we could get a blue response on the topic. LOL
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Cool, sticky :) Now I don't have to worry about it getting buried in General anymore.

Gave it a couple cleanup passes, found I had to rearrange things a bit in the first few posts. Apparently this forum has a 5000 character limit per post that General doesn't have?

An observation on Guilds experiencing the Guild Cap not resetting bug, from what I gather that common theme is that if you get close to, but do not hit, the cap, it doesn't reset. I'm not certain that this is an accurate observation or just a coincidence and I could use verification one way or the other. My guild has stubbornly reached the cap each day so far, even if it's meant an extra heroic dungeon after midnight when most of us would rather hit the sack.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thank you for this, it confirms that how I think it is supposed to work is shared by another.

Our guild has experienced the "guild cap not resetting" bug 3 times now, twice on the Wednesday morning (the first reset after the maintenance/patch etc.). The other time was on Christmas when most people had other things to do.

For us it was when you don't hit the cap, although I've seen reports of guilds that have hit the cap and not reset. The percentage of those three times were 93%, 71% and last night 85%. There were actually maybe once or twice otherwise that we didn't hit cap and it did reset.

I don't mind if the small amount that we did not get is lost, as long as the new day gives us an opportunity to gain 6.2 mil xp. Imagine doing 22 dailies one day and then realizing the next day you can only do 3? This is what this bug is doing, and for quite a number of guilds.

The gating system is working the exact opposite way it is supposed to with this "bug". Unfortunately Blizzard has not come forth with any reasonable explanation or attempt to fix this. Our guild has people in many different time zones and work schedules, and therefore there is usually someone on at all times of the day to earn guild xp. It has turned into a "hit cap or else fall far behind" mentality for us, and I can't imagine how a guild that hits the cap yet doesn't get a reset feels.
Edited by Zohyere on 1/5/2011 7:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'm fairly sure i read the whole thing but i don't think you metioned member caps. What is the member cap? Is it still the original 1000 or has it been bumped up to 5000 as i have recently heard?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
01/05/2011 9:00 PMPosted by Orphaeus
I'm fairly sure i read the whole thing but i don't think you metioned member caps. What is the member cap? Is it still the original 1000 or has it been bumped up to 5000 as i have recently heard?

I don't recall any mention of a 5000 player cap, last I heard of was a 1000 member cap, though that was back on Oct 6th.
http://wow.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=23611

I remember them saying that the guild interface wouldn't handle members beyond 500 very well though.

Deep thought of the day:
"It [Guild Reputation] is not your reputation with your guild, it's your reputation with the world as a representative of your guild."
Edited by Sariax on 1/6/2011 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
01/06/2011 5:42 AMPosted by Sariax
Deep thought of the day:
"It [Guild Reputation] is not your reputation with your guild, it's your reputation with the world as a representative of your guild."

Very nice.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
For what it is worth.
I think Blizzard tried to make it more feasable to be in a guild.
Like everything else they did a great job, but no one can think of everything.
Give them a little time and some constructive criticism and I bet they will take it to heart.

Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I can see that no one from the game has posted to answer any of your questions.

I am so dssapointed that there is almost no consideration given to the tiny small guilds. Being a guild with 4 or less players you are out of luck. You only get 25% experience now. When I was getting 100% , I was actually happy and thought I would have a chance to achieve some of these levels. Now, If the big guild can do it in 137 days it will probably take me 137 years. We have been working like crazy and got 2 notches of the 5 needed for the second level lock to open. It is just so unfair. I am so disapointed.

This could have been something everyone could have enjoyed. As it is you have to sell you soul to some large group to get anywhere. Once again Bliz has given all rewards to the MMO and squashed the RPG part of MMORPG.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]