Leveling as a Holy Paladin in Cataclysm

85 Human Paladin
I understand a lot of folks are trying the retribution fiasco to level.. Unless you are seriously impatient, I will suggest you try Holy as a leveling spec.

At level 81, I am barely even getting hurt. The elite level 81 quest mobs are not even a threat. If I get a couple on me, I might need to use flash heal from time to time.

I have yet to be able to solo anything with little effort. If anything, the mobs are so easy to wear down that I am reminded of the Vanilla Paladin days. The theme is "slow and steady"..

Solo Spell Rotation:
1. Crusader Strike and Offensive Holy Shock to build Holy Power.
2. Judgement using Seal of Light for the heal/mana regen.
3. Exorcism Spam for damage (Woot!! -- Very fun!)
4. Word of Glory for quick heal

I have over 100 days played on my paladin.. most of it as Retribution. I simply do not enjoy the current ret. play style. Your mileage may vary..

Desiflint, Paladin for Life
Edited by Desiflint on 12/9/2010 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
When mobs start getting health pools in excess of 100k it starts to take a long time to kill. The damage they do ramps up very quickly too. Our heals do not. It's not impossible and far better than, say, restoration Druid in vanilla, but it will take you a lot longer if you do everything by yourself.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 4:34 PMPosted by Holycow
When mobs start getting health pools in excess of 100k it starts to take a long time to kill. The damage they do ramps up very quickly too. Our heals do not. It's not impossible and far better than, say, restoration Druid in vanilla, but it will take you a lot longer if you do everything by yourself.

Your point about how long it will take to kill stuff is certianly valid. If our damage output does not scale with those health pools, then it could become a bit tedious to grind though the quests.. At the moment (level 81 in Hyjal), I find it acceptable.

Your point about the damage ramping up, but heals not ramping is disconcerting. If a healer can't do meaningful damage and outheal the damage that a quest mob is doing, then the healer can't solo quest. In my opinion, the spec will become unviable at that point.

I can not believe that the development team would intentionally render an entire portion of the game unviable.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
As everyone here has stated, once you get to level 83 or beyond your going to rethink your strategy, unless you like grinding for a long time.
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
As you get higher around 84 you will find mobs take a long time to kill when your CDs are on.....CD. If you get 2 or more mobs its going to take forever.

While ret doesnt have the survivability of holy it certainly is important to be ret at these stages or the quests will take you forever. Just dont pull more than 1 mob and if you do use repentence
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
I just started questing in Uldum at lvl 83, it is so painfull to quest as Holy its insane, it was fine for levels 81-82, but now im in real life pain every time i try and kill a single mob.

The sad thing is this was mentioned soooooooooo many times to GC and the dev team all through out Beta and they did nothing to fix it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]