Better Living through Technology!(new2macros)

(Sticky)

01/23/2011 12:58 PMPosted by Maire
If I select the ? icon and name the macro after a spell, it chooses the icon for that spell. Great. But, if I then add a modifier, when I close the window the icon reverts to the ? icon. Is there a way to use modifiers and have it keep one of the icons, so I don't have to scroll through the list of icons?

I believe #showtooltip SPELLNAME will do that, where SPELLNAME is the name of the spell you want to see the tooltip and icon for.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
01/23/2011 1:45 PMPosted by Harlan
If I select the ? icon and name the macro after a spell, it chooses the icon for that spell. Great. But, if I then add a modifier, when I close the window the icon reverts to the ? icon. Is there a way to use modifiers and have it keep one of the icons, so I don't have to scroll through the list of icons?

I believe #showtooltip SPELLNAME will do that, where SPELLNAME is the name of the spell you want to see the tooltip and icon for.

It's because showtooltip will display the tooltip and icon for the spell that the macro would currently cast. Take this macro for example:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:ctrl] Regrowth; [mod:alt] Lifebloom

If you hold down Control, it'll show the Regrowth icon. If you hold down Alt, it'll show the Lifebloom icon. If no modifier is held down, it will display the ? icon with no tooltip. You can add a spell at the end (which would be cast if you hit the macro and weren't holding down any modifiers) to make use of an easy addition to the macro, or you can just remove the modifier from one of the spells.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
I just have to say that blizzard is very cool, by comparison, for letting players do this sort of thing that should be normal.
Reply Quote
83 Dwarf Hunter
KLS
Thanks for the guide. Macros are something I've never dealt with, but trying to learn how they can improve my gameplay.

As a hunter, a sequence that I constantly use is [Hunters Mark, Concussion Shot, Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot]

Now I know its not the end of the world that I have to push all 4 action buttons on every single mob. But it would be nice to be able to just push one button and have all 4 go off every time. Is it possible to macro this sequence? And if so, could you show me how?
Much appreciated.
Isah
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Probably something like this Isahlee

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt] Hunters Mark;
/castsequence reset=3 Concussion Shot, Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot

Holding down the alt key will cast Hunters Mark on your target when you hit the assigned key
and casting the other 3 in sequence. Make sure the one with the longest cool down is at the end and the shortest in the front. The reset=x is the time it takes to reset the first action , so if you end with a 30 sec cool down it will take the entire time reset is = to.
Reply Quote
21 Worgen Hunter
I'm probably not going to get super deep into macros like all these mentioned, but I would like to know if there's a way to create a very simple macro that would allow me to /growl and then /cast Running Wild, one right after the other. I want to make it as a replacer for the Running Wild shortcut.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
01/28/2011 1:14 AMPosted by Vorediah
I'm probably not going to get super deep into macros like all these mentioned, but I would like to know if there's a way to create a very simple macro that would allow me to /growl and then /cast Running Wild, one right after the other. I want to make it as a replacer for the Running Wild shortcut.

Yes, emotes can be chained together without problems. And you've already got it down:
/growl
/cast Running Wild
Reply Quote
21 Worgen Hunter
If it were that simple, I wouldn't have asked. It doesn't work the way I want it too.

Sure it'll show in the chat that I used /growl, but my character won't do the /growl animation before using Running Wild. He'll do the animation for /growl if I press the macro again to exit Running Wild, though.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
01/28/2011 1:54 AMPosted by Vorediah
If it were that simple, I wouldn't have asked. It doesn't work the way I want it too.

Sure it'll show in the chat that I used /growl, but my character won't do the /growl animation before using Running Wild. He'll do the animation for /growl if I press the macro again to exit Running Wild, though.

Unfortunately, you cannot place a pause between performing the /growl action, and casting Running Wild, which is what you would need to do to see your character snarl and howl first.

What the macro does is perform both actions instantaneously. So your character growls AND casts Running Wild. So the cast animation for Running Wild (since it takes longer) will override the growl animation, simply making the /growl appear in chat.

You see the /growl action occur when you hit the macro again because when you do so, you /growl AND dismount at the same time. Since the /growl animation is longer than the brief dismounting action, you'll see it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/28/2011 1:54 AMPosted by Vorediah

Personally, I would avoid macro'ing emotes/animations to commands when the action creates an emote message.

From and RP perspective I can see why someone would want to do it, and in this case it is probably not going to draw attention. I'm not saying don't do it but you should be aware if you are macro'ing actions/emotes because it can annoy players.

I hate it when I'm grouped with a hunter (other classes do it but hunters seem to do it the most). THey either macro a /yell, /say to their pet attack so when you are grouped everytime they tell their pet to attack or swap targets you see some stupid RP. Typically, groups i've been in ask the toon to turn off their macro and if they don't we vote to kick.

Additionally, i've seen players complain because they had a macro that did something when they tossed their pet food. There was a guy the other day in orgrimmar who got squeltched because he was spam feeding his pet and enough people around him got sick of seeing /em tosses %t some cookies spam. He didn't do it 1 time, it was 10-12 in a row. Peopel around him clicked report spam and he got squeltched.

Sometimes it can be helpful to macro a /yell or /say if you are casting CC on a mob and want to tell the group to leave it alone but typically putting a raid icon over the mobs head should be enough to tell the group stay away until tank breaks the cc
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
nvm, i found the sollution.

Good guide!
Edited by Exylem on 1/28/2011 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
21 Worgen Hunter
Yeah, I was messing around with it in-game and managed to irritate someone in the area....yeah, /yell's and /say's are a bad idea in macros.

Besides, /growl with /cast Running Wild isn't exactly something that'll get spammed, ya know? Pretty much only when I'm alone. I just think the /growl animation for the Worgen is awesome :D
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
01/28/2011 9:40 AMPosted by Vorediah
Besides, /growl with /cast Running Wild isn't exactly something that'll get spammed, ya know? Pretty much only when I'm alone. I just think the /growl animation for the Worgen is awesome :D

HAAAAWOOOO RAWR

It is pretty cool. I like using it before taking on a challenging enemy. :) Though my sister looked at me funny when I tried it on my worgen; said she sounded like an elephant. x3
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/28/2011 9:40 AMPosted by Vorediah
Yeah, I was messing around with it in-game and managed to irritate someone in the area....yeah, /yell's and /say's are a bad idea in macros.

Think the worst is dropping a train at the AH in stormwind or right before AV starts
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
A detail that I missed is how to have a different action when no modifier is held down. Apparently it's "nomod", e.g.:

/cast [nomod]Lightning bolt
/cast [mod:ctrl]Chain lightning

I found some other guides if they will compliment this thread:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Macro_API
http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro
http://www.macroexplain.com/
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
This is helpful, I always wondered what macros were. It'll come in handy.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
is there a way to macro a random generator so that when i push the macro it would radomly generate a companion or mount?
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
Is there a macro (or addon) that can switch talent specs? I do most of my solo grinding as rdps, but do instances as a healer. Switching between the two without having to go into the talent menu every time would be nice.
Reply Quote
01/30/2011 10:14 PMPosted by Sondrin
is there a way to macro a random generator so that when i push the macro it would radomly generate a companion or mount?

A quick web search found this.

http://hokage.org/content/cataclysm-403-smart-mount-macro

If you replace "MOUNT" with "CRITTER" in the above macro it should work for pets, assuming it works at all.

I haven't tested it, as I use Titan Panel to randomly select mounts and pets.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
01/31/2011 5:35 AMPosted by Rivver
Is there a macro (or addon) that can switch talent specs? I do most of my solo grinding as rdps, but do instances as a healer. Switching between the two without having to go into the talent menu every time would be nice.

Yes.

/usetalents [spec:1] 2; 1

If you're in your primary spec, it'll switch you to the second one. If you're not in your primary spec, it'll switch you to your primary spec. It's just a toggle.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]