Better Living through Technology!(new2macros)

(Sticky)

90 Night Elf Rogue
11/23/2011 10:43 PMPosted by Teelo
It's a one button rotation macro. Taunt goes on button two, and the optional "i want to at least be semi-good" interrupt/arcane torrent button goes on button three.

You're still proving my point that it's not "one button to rule them all" then. In that setup you at least have to make regular use of 3 different buttons, with at least 2 different custom macros. And each of those macros do different things, require them to be set up differently with different macro functions, and also require situational awareness as to which of those 3 buttons to hit when.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
11/23/2011 10:43 PMPosted by Teelo
It's a one button rotation macro. Taunt goes on button two, and the optional "i want to at least be semi-good" interrupt/arcane torrent button goes on button three.

You cannot put an entire role into a single macro, which you just admitted. Glad to see we're on the same page that you were wrong! :)
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Rogue
I Am working out a basic future rotation for my skills
it goes Stealth>Sap>Ambush>Eviscerate>Gouge*>Mutilate>Sinister StrikeX2>Eviscerate>Repeat from gouge.

Planning to macro some of this using a /castsequence, but my problem is this: When i use gouge i Toggle OFF my Beloved auto attacks. i am hoping do make somthing like this:
my first move would be /castsequence Sap,Ambush,eviscerate,gouge,backstab
backstab> (start macro2) /castsequence Auto attacks on,Mutilate,Sinister, sinister,eviscerate( i then repeat macro 2 until i win.)

would these 2 macros work, any tips, faults and what is the specific macro to
toggle my auto's??
Edited by Shadimier on 12/12/2011 6:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I Am working out a basic future rotation for my skills
it goes Stealth>Sap>Ambush>Eviscerate>Gouge*>Mutilate>Sinister StrikeX2>Eviscerate>Repeat from gouge.

Planning to macro some of this using a /castsequence, but my problem is this: When i use gouge i Toggle OFF my Beloved auto attacks. i am hoping do make somthing like this:
my first move would be /castsequence Sap,Ambush,eviscerate,gouge,backstab
backstab> (start macro2) /castsequence Auto attacks on,Mutilate,Sinister, sinister,eviscerate( i then repeat macro 2 until i win.)

would these 2 macros work, any tips, faults and what is the specific macro to
toggle my auto's??

1) No, those macros would not work because you cannot toggle /autoattack in a /castsequence.

2) You need to learn how to play your class instead of trying to faceroll two buttons. Macros are not meant to and are not capable of condensing a full rotation into one or two buttons. Learn what your abilities do and how to use them.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Rogue
ok,ok,ok

i was just trying to reduce the number of abilititys i need on my action bar
Edited by Shadimier on 12/13/2011 4:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/13/2011 04:11 AMPosted by Shadimier
i was just trying to reduce the number of abilititys i need on my action bar

There's a BIG difference between combining a couple of abilities that are always used together or in succession into a single button (people do this all the time and often have several macroed buttons that do this for various cases/ability pairings) and attempting to combine your entire rotation into a single button (what you were trying to do).
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Mage
12/10/2010 08:25 AMPosted by Raygecow
/castsequence [mod]Shield of the Righteous; Holy Wrath, Consecrate, Holy Wrath

Would this macro work without the "[mod]"? I dont understand the point of the "[mod]". Also the ";" is confusing me. In a cast sequence mod is it nessecary to point the ";" after the first spell and then a "," after every other one? Im new to the game and macros, thanks very much :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/15/2011 08:56 AMPosted by Telash
/castsequence [mod]Shield of the Righteous; Holy Wrath, Consecrate, Holy Wrath

Would this macro work without the "[mod]"? I dont understand the point of the "[mod]". Also the ";" is confusing me. In a cast sequence mod is it nessecary to point the ";" after the first spell and then a "," after every other one? Im new to the game and macros, thanks very much :)

That macro is a little tricky at first glance. It's essentially a /cast and /castsequence merged together. The semicolon signals the end of a command while a comma separates things in a list. The [mod] is a condition. Maybe if I split the macro it'll be easier to pick apart.

/cast [mod] Shield of the Righteous
/castsequence Holy Wrath, Consecrate, Holy Wrath

(Imagine that there's a semicolon at the end of the first line instead of a line break)

If you're holding down a modifier key (alt, shift, or ctrl), the macro will cast Shield of the Righteous.
Otherwise it will cast Holy Wrath on the first click, Consecrate on the second click and Holy Wrath again on the third click.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Mage
O okay, that makes sense. Thanks!
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
i am trying to make a macro to put a few related spells on one button
_____________________________________________________-
#showtooltip Drain Soul
/cast *[nomod]* Drain Soul; [mod: Alt] Drain life:[mod: Shift] Life tap

Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
i am trying to make a macro to put a few related spells on one button
_____________________________________________________-
#showtooltip Drain Soul
/cast *[nomod]* Drain Soul; [mod: Alt] Drain life:[mod: Shift] Life tap

#showtooltip
/use [mod:alt]Drain Life;[mod:shift]Life Tap;Drain Soul
Hold alt to cast Drain Life; shift to cast Life Tap; otherwise cast Drain Soul.

Make sure you don't have anything bound to shift+your key or alt+your key.

This webpage explains how to make macros quite well:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro

This site can explain what a given macro does:
http://www.macroexplain.com
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
what is the / command to use a pet ability?
tryed
#showtooltip ( ability name) pet ability
/cast ( name) pet ability

&
/pet ( ability name) pet ability

What am i doing wrong?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
what is the / command to use a pet ability?
tryed
/cast ( name) pet ability

&
/pet ( ability name) pet ability

What am i doing wrong?

There's no such thing as "/pet" as a command because that's actually an emote. You also don't need to expand a #showtooltip line if there's only one spell in the macro (it'll automatically display the first spell in the macro anyway).

Use this:
#showtooltip
/cast Ability

Replace "Ability" with whatever pet ability you want. There's no difference in a macro whether it's a pet ability or one of your abilities. However there's no point in having this macro unless the ability you want to use isn't already on your pet actionbar.
Reply Quote
20 Human Priest
I am wondering how to make a mouse over macro, to cast a HoT on target, i tried what is suggusted on this topic, & it ends up healing a city guard, not my target
help?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I am wondering how to make a mouse over macro, to cast a HoT on target, i tried what is suggusted on this topic, & it ends up healing a city guard, not my target
help?

If your mouse cursor was over the city guard, you will heal the city guard.
Reply Quote
20 Human Priest
it was over the player.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/08/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Isoprotycas
it was over the player.

Can you copy/paste the macro you wrote into a [code] block here on the forum so we can take a look at it? There might be a typo somewhere or a bad condition.
Reply Quote
62 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks so much for posting this! I accidentally opened the macros last night and was like "what the crap?". I'm totally trying some of these out tonight! this will be so much easier than how i sequence now.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Awesome!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
i would like to make a macro that Randomly does one of these things:

/Yell FOR THE HORDE!
/ROAR

or

/Yell BLOOD AND THUNDER!
/roar

or

/Lok'tar Ogar!

is there a way to make it randomly do one of these actions?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]