Better Living through Technology!(new2macros)

(Sticky)

90 Night Elf Rogue
04/11/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Harnroz
is there a way to make it randomly do one of these actions?

There's a addon that will randomly spout phrases like that generally when you do certain actions (it's name escapes me at the moment though).

Keep in mind that something that does things like that automatically can get REALLY annoying very quickly to anyone you are grouped with.

You can put things like that into a self-made macro, but macros by definition don't do things automatically, you HAVE to trigger them. So you'd have to press a button to get the phrase to appear in the chat box.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Oh, yes, I know. i have a button set aside for my yelling and such :) I just wanted it to randomly yell one of those 3 when I click my button.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Oh, yes, I know. i have a button set aside for my yelling and such :) I just wanted it to randomly yell one of those 3 when I click my button.

Hmm, that's a lot more tricky to do and I'm not sure if it's even possible. Even though you're ultimately using it to do a simple /yell phrase, the "random" part of what you are trying to do makes it a lot more unusual. The people over in the UI and Macro forum should know for sure.

We mostly deal with general and simple questions in this forum. We send the people with more specialized and difficult questions to the specific forum for that topic. The people in the specialized forums typically have a deeper understanding of such things than we do.
Edited by Avanna on 4/11/2012 7:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
04/11/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Avanna

Hmm, that's a lot more tricky to do and I'm not sure if it's even possible. Even though you're ultimately using it to do a simple /yell phrase, the "random" part of what you are trying to do makes it a lot more unusual. The people over in the UI and Macro forum should know for sure.

We mostly deal with general and simple questions in this forum. We send the people with more specialized and difficult questions to the specific forum for that topic. The people in the specialized forums typically have a deeper understanding of such things than we do.

Luckily some of the UI regulars (such as myself) also frequent the NPHG forum. Random yelling is very much possible, but it requires a script.

If you only want to /roar with two of the three phrases:/run local t,r={"FOR THE HORDE!","BLOOD AND THUNDER!","Lok'tar Ogar!"}r=random(#t) SendChatMessage(t,"YELL") if r~=3 then DoEmote("ROAR")end

If you want to /roar with every phrase:/run SendChatMessage(GetRandomArgument("FOR THE HORDE!","BLOOD AND THUNDER!","Lok'tar Ogar!"),"YELL")
/roar
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Shaman
Would this work?
showtooltip
/cast [@archshammn,mod=ctrl][mod=shift@focustarget,exists][nomod=ctrl,@mouseovertarget][nomod=shift,@mouseovertarget]Healing wave;Healing wave;Healing Wave;Healing wave

, meaning do i need a Healing Wave; , for every [Modifer] Bloc string?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Would this work?
showtooltip
/cast [@archshammn,mod=ctrl][mod=shift@focustarget,exists][nomod=ctrl,@mouseovertarget][nomod=shift,@mouseovertarget]Healing wave;Healing wave;Healing Wave;Healing wave

, meaning do i need a Healing Wave; , for every [Modifer] Bloc string?
What are you trying to accomplish with it? There's no such thing as "nomod=shift" or "nomod=ctrl" and your macro could be cleaned up considerably. A mod condition is written with a colon, not an equals sign. To use yourself as a unit you just do "@player" rather than your name.
Reply Quote
55 Night Elf Death Knight
This is the best. Thank you for all your great help. I've been familiar with macros for a while and have written a couple for my character but this is way too cool. Thank you again.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd like to point out a necessary correction:
In this section, to do what is described as of 5.0.5, the macro you must use is not

/cast [@mouseovertarget,help,nodead] Word of Glory

it's actually
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] Word of Glory

--- Original Section ----
Mouse Targeting
The nice part about @ targeting is you can set it to cast on a target that you are moused over. You can, for example, have the main enemy mob targeted and then mouse over a friendly player and cast a heal on them without changing your target. This is the basic command.

/cast [@mouseovertarget,help,nodead] Word of Glory

This macro will, when pressed, cast a spell onto a friendly target only if you currently have your mouse pointer over them, without changing your normal target.

As described, it would cast Word of Glory on the Target of whatever is under your mouse (if the target of whatever is under your mouse is friendly and not dead). That might be useful at other times - for example, you could use the specifier above, place your mouse pointer on the boss and heal whichever party member he is currently targeting with Word of Glory - but that is not what's described in the original mouseover section.

<S>
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm trying to make a macro for Wild Mushroom, and Wild Mushroom: Bloom. My goal is to make it so the button casts Wild Mushroom, and when Ctrl is held, it casts Wild Mushroom:Bloom. Here's what I've got, but it isn't working.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:ctrl] Wild Mushroom: Bloom; Wild Mushroom

I've tried using, "modifier" in place of "mod", "=" in place of ":", and "CTRL" in place of "ctrl". So far, all this button does for me is cast Wild Mushroom. I can't get it to do anything different with Ctrl held. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm trying to make a macro for Wild Mushroom, and Wild Mushroom: Bloom. My goal is to make it so the button casts Wild Mushroom, and when Ctrl is held, it casts Wild Mushroom:Bloom. Here's what I've got, but it isn't working.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:ctrl] Wild Mushroom: Bloom; Wild Mushroom

I've tried using, "modifier" in place of "mod", "=" in place of ":", and "CTRL" in place of "ctrl". So far, all this button does for me is cast Wild Mushroom. I can't get it to do anything different with Ctrl held. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but is the macro currently bound to a key with a CTRL on it? You cannot bind modifier macros to a key that uses the same modifier. For example you can't bind a macro that uses [mod:ctrl] to a keybind that's ctrl-R.
Reply Quote
65 Orc Monk
Ummmmm /blank stair. Grognobog head hurt. This language of macro is hard for Grog thick head to understand.
Edited by Grognobog on 11/15/2012 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Thank you very much for this post. You made it easy to understand and simple to duplicate. I can't tell you how useful this is, thanks for putting in the time to make this.
Reply Quote
23 Night Elf Rogue
OK, I quit reading everyone else's comments after about six. What I seem to be missing in your very basic example IS...WHEN and WHERE do you add the key and possible extra combo???

Here is what you wrote above at the beginning:
"So to make my first macro, I went to the /m menu in game, picked a new macro, and gave it the question mark icon. Then I click on the icon, click on the empty box, and type:

/cast

This is the basic core of every macro. It's basically like the verb in a sentence. You can use different 'verbs' (called slash commands) but this is probably the most popular. Since I want this macro to cast Hammer of the Righteous, I simple type that in after the /cast.

/cast Hammer of the Righteous

And pow! I'm done!"

So...where did you say "and now click a button like "A" or "6" or "Alt+u" before you got to "pow! I'm done!" ???????????
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Devon: Macros are basically custom buttons. When you create the macro and select an icon it is added to the list of custom buttons at the top of the macro window. Then just drag your newly created custom macro button to your action bar just like you would with abilities from your spell book, profession commands, your favorite mount or vanity pet, etc.

From there, hit the keybind you assigned to that action bar slot and it will activate like any other ability.
Edited by Avanna on 3/14/2013 7:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I need some help please! I'm fairly familiar with macros. But I can't figure this one out, or know if its even possible.
The macro is for my hunter, I picked a new talent, and I trying to work it into my original macro if possible.

#showtooltip Mend Pet;[modifier:ctrl] Misdirection
/cast [nomodifier] Mend Pet;[@focus,help][help][@pet,exists][modifier:ctrl] Misdirection
/petattack [modifier:shift]

This is what I had, it allows me to heal my pet or cast Misdirection with out sending my pet into to fight until I choose to hold shift to have it attack, and this also allows me to switch targets fast that my pet is on in case I need too.

Now what I want to do is add the new talent I picked that teleports my pet to the target (on a 20 sec CD) to my shift modifier without loosing my petattack and ability to switch targets on the fly. I don't think that /petattack is on the GCD, and I just want it to have my pet attack/target if the spell is on CD when I hold shift.

#showtooltip [nomodifier] Mend Pet;[modifier:ctrl] Misdirection;[modifier:Shift] Blink Strike
/cast [nomodifier] Mend Pet;[@focus,help][help][@pet,exists][modifier:ctrl] Misdirection;[modifier:Shift] Blink Strike
/petattack [modifier:Shift]

I tried this macro above, but the /petattack seams to override my other shift modifier for the spell Blink Strike. Not sure what to do here or even if I can do it please help if you can, thanks
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Ok I figured out how to make it work:

#showtooltip [nomodifier] Mend Pet;[modifier:ctrl] Misdirection;[modifier:Shift] Blink Strike
/petattack [modifier:Shift]
/cast [modifier:Shift]!Blink Strike
/cast [nomodifier] Mend Pet;[modifier:ctrl][@focus,help][help][@pet,exists] Misdirection

The only problem now is it cast Misdirection if I hold shift or control, not just control as I want it to do, not sure why it does this, but I can live with that as long as I can change targets with my pet fast, But if anyone can explain why it does this feel free to tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it so Misdirections only goes off while holding Ctrl.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For one, you don't need that long #showtooltip line. If anything, it's making troubleshooting harder because a blank #showtooltip line will show the icon/tooltip of the spell that the macro would cast given the current conditions. It's handy when you have a long macro and can't figure out why something is being triggered by some unknown conditions intersecting (combat/modifiers, etc).

You can also save a considerable amount of space if you use abbreviations in the conditions. It looks like your bug is coming from your last line, which seems to have two unrelated abilities combined for no reason.

#showtooltip
/petattack [mod:shift]
/cast [mod:shift] !Blink Strike
/cast [nomod] Mend Pet
/cast [mod:ctrl] [@focus,help][help][@pet,exists,nodead] Misdirection

Give that a shot. If it doesn't work, you might want to go post in the UI/Macro forum. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Thanks for posting this guide. I am having trouble making a multi button. I can't get it to heal myself when I press alt. Does anyone know how to fix this?

/cast [help] !Renew; [harm] !Shadow Word: Pain; [mod:alt,@player] !Renew
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
Thanks for posting this guide. I am having trouble making a multi button. I can't get it to heal myself when I press alt. Does anyone know how to fix this?

/cast [help] !Renew; [harm] !Shadow Word: Pain; [mod:alt,@player] !Renew

Put the most restrictive conditions first, in this case the modifier:/cast [mod:alt,@player] !Renew; [help] !Renew; [harm] !Shadow Word: Pain

This can be condensed a bit, though:/use [mod:alt,@player][help]Renew;Shadow Word: Pain

The exclamation tells the game to always toggle the spell on rather than on/off like it normally would; it only works with toggled spells like Druid forms, not buffs/debuffs like Renew or SWP.

These links may help:
http://wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro
http://www.macroexplain.com/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]