SOTR(shield bash) or Inquisition for tanking?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
In terms of threat and damage which is better to spend are holy power on? I have been using SOTR on bosses for the holy shield proc, then inquisition for trash and AOE. Is that how this was intended, or should we just be using inquisition all the time to build threat and for DPS?

Interested in your responses.

Edit - Looked at the Holy Shield talent and apparently it procs when we use inquisition too. So the holy shield proc isn't just for SOTR. So I am learning more towards Inquisition.
Edited by Laset on 12/10/2010 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah I love all the changes. We don't just pop consecration and go make a sandwich anymore. =)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Inq. for AE pulls. SHoR for bosses.

WoG is solid AE threat...but only useful for when you need the extra healing.
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 10:23 AMPosted by Laset
Yeah I love all the changes. We don't just pop consecration and go make a sandwich anymore. =)

We never did this to begin with.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/10/2010 10:25 AMPosted by Tauradin
12/10/2010 10:23 AMPosted by Laset

Did you not play heroics in 3.3. It was the easiest classes to play in the game. We had no problems with threat then. We didn't even have to try. Well at least I didn't.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/10/2010 10:23 AMPosted by Traejun
Inq. for AE pulls. SHoR for bosses.

WoG is solid AE threat...but only useful for when you need the extra healing.

Hmm, I have a question about that. How does Word of Glory help build AE threat? Heals pull that much threat? I know there is a talent that can make HS proc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Healing threat is pretty solid - that's why mobs can get pulled off by healers early in a fight, the heals [especially DoT's] themselves can generate quite a bit of front-loaded threat. Once you get Inquisition, that's far superior to WoG for AE threat - but early on [BRC, ToT, VP and even Stonecore] WoG is an excellent choice for AE tanking.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/10/2010 10:27 AMPosted by Laset
[quote="14060465105"]Yeah I love all the changes. We don't just pop consecration and go make a sandwich anymore. =)

Did you not play heroics in 3.3. It was the easiest classes to play in the game. We had no problems with threat then. We didn't even have to try. Well at least I didn't.

Your friends must have been pulling 2k DPS then.
Edited by Rubi on 12/10/2010 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/10/2010 11:44 AMPosted by Rubi
12/10/2010 10:27 AMPosted by Laset
[quote="14063063733"][quote="14060465105"]Yeah I love all the changes. We don't just pop consecration and go make a sandwich anymore. =)

Your friends must have been pulling 2k DPS then.[/quote]

This. When DPS was ICC geared, pushing 10k+ without much trouble...holding aggro on all mobs in a screen-lag pull was not a foregone conclusion.

Luckily, almost nothing in a heroic would actually kill a clothie fast enough to make me worry about it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm not sure about anyone else, but w/ mana being a bigger issue for healers, I find myself using WoG:ShotR:Inq in a 12:4:1 ratio. The extra healing just seems way too helpful and threat is pretty much a 0 point issue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/10/2010 12:32 PMPosted by Terreth
I'm not sure about anyone else, but w/ mana being a bigger issue for healers, I find myself using WoG:ShotR:Inq in a 12:4:1 ratio. The extra healing just seems way too helpful and threat is pretty much a 0 point issue.

No reason to do that TBH. Any given trash pull is not going to drain your healer's mana. In fact, I'm noticing that even using Inquisition about 75% of the time on trash, my healer really only needs to drink about every 3-4 pulls. More often only where there is AE damaging DPS.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/10/2010 11:33 AMPosted by Farranor
[quote="14060465105"]Yeah I love all the changes. We don't just pop consecration and go make a sandwich anymore. =)

This.

[quote="14063562866"]Did you not play heroics in 3.3. It was the easiest classes to play in the game. We had no problems with threat then. We didn't even have to try. Well at least I didn't.[/quote]
You're either lying through your teeth, or you went through heroics doing about 1/10th of the damage and threat that most tanks were doing, and that you could've been doing. Even using Cons on CD as a normal part of the 969, often on multiple targets, by the end of a heroic it would make up around 10% of my overall damage.[/quote]

Getting way off topic. But yes in heroics around 3.3 (ICC patch) tanking was the easiest thing in the world for prot. paladins. Sorry if you disagree.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]