Just a little veteran healer advice.

MVP
83 Night Elf Priest
I've been a priest since the very beginning. Healing has always been my WoW life and over the years I've seen it all. Mostly, what I'm acutely aware of are the cycles that repeat. As surely as gear resets, as surely as raid guilds tend to split, and as surely as dps will often stand in fire... so too are other cycles sure to repeat.

So allow an old cranky crazy priest to mention a few repeating lessons:

* Healing is always hard at the start of an expansion - People don't really know the fights, they aren't fully used to their new abilities, but most importantly - DPS hasn't geared up yet. Given the same healer and faster dps, the healing will always get easier. Much like tanks and healers though, dps doesn't start fully geared. So if you find yourself saying healing is hard, consider that perhaps that the real issue is that your group isn't all it could be.

* Healers get blamed by default - It was always so, and likely always will be. How it works is somebody (or everybody) dies. Since that is usually the healer responsibility, you are blamed by default. Sometimes others will admit their fault, but it isn't really human nature to. So in the absence of anyone else admitting blame - the healer will get it.

* Tanks rush ahead - I've tanked and I know how easily it happens. You tend to focus on the next pull and not where your party is. You just tend to assume they'll keep up. Which leads us to...

* Tanks often don't check healer mana - Great tanks do, but many don't. Either they expect you to handle it or expect you to say something. You'll have to be active there.

* The tank is your friend - Healers are mom. Tanks are dad. DPS is the kids. If mom & dad are on the same page, the kids will follow.

* DPS are suicidal - Green gas? Orange fire? Black voids? DPS will hug it and hold tight in its embrace. That's just how it is and always has been. Learn to heal them through it, learn to let them die, learn to tell them to move.. whatever you do though - don't be surprised.

* Rogues are gank-happy jerks - If you are on a pvp realm, I don't have to tell you this, but as a healer - be aware that the issue is rogues, not your healing class. There is no real pvp balance issue.

* Groups are easy - Take advantage of that facet of being a healer. Quick instance queues, quick invites to questing, free buffs for tossing a stranger a heal. Healers are loved.

* Ghostcrawler is not in customer service - Take that as you will. He isn't here to fix your immediate problems. He is here to worry about your long-term future.

* Sometimes it is just you - It can be hard to admit, and perhaps it is your gear not your skill... but sometimes it isn't the class or the role, it is just you.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
The first and probably the only one to comment on the words of wisdom lol.

Sticky this please blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
12/10/2010 3:28 PMPosted by Snowfoxen
The tank is your friend - Healers are mom. Tanks are dad. DPS is the kids. If mom & dad are on the same page, the kids will follow.

I lol'd.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I want to hug you through my computer screen right now. Thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
* The tank is your friend - Healers are mom. Tanks are dad. DPS is the kids. If mom & dad are on the same page, the kids will follow.

To further this point a little, tank mechanics have changed quite a bit so understanding how they operate now almost as important as understanding how healers have changed.

Inc anecdote.

I was tanking VP (and btw qq @ the mob spacing) and the druid healer was using regrowth in it's wrath incarnation and ooming extremely quickly. I WoG heavily, mostly because I'm sympathetic to the new healer model. Anyway we were on the last boss and the druid drops to 5% mana half way through the fight due to unfortunate spell selection. The fight ends successfully with him suddenly using efficient heals and myself WoG'ing like crazy.

Basically tank self-healing is very different and different tanks apply it through varying degrees. Watching what your tank does on the first couple pulls and even communicating with him about how much he self-heals will give you a far better idea of how to manage your own spell selection.

If someone were to ask me I'd say I snap a SR immediately via divine plea, WoG on the next HoP stack, and then one more SR once vengeance is stacked to give myself breathing room for the entire encounter. Unless a moment of heavy burst is coming early on in the fight I'll be using Divine Protection during this beginning stage. This tells the healer that I might need a tiny bit of extra healing initial (only a bit) but once the fight is past 15 secs I'll be healing myself every ~9 secs for a pretty amount.

I'm just using myself as an example for how one can approach the challenges from a more well-rounded side and potentially line-up some useful communication.
Reply Quote
And this is why Snow is an MVP =)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Only the last few points contain actual advice. The rest is really just telling everyone things we already know.

* DPS are suicidal - Green gas? Orange fire? Black voids? DPS will hug it and hold tight in its embrace. That's just how it is and always has been. Learn to heal them through it, learn to let them die, learn to tell them to move.. whatever you do though - don't be surprised.

Healing through it isn't an option. Letting them die results in a wipe. Telling them to move is rolling the dice.

* Rogues are gank-happy jerks - If you are on a pvp realm, I don't have to tell you this, but as a healer - be aware that the issue is rogues, not your healing class. There is no real pvp balance issue.

I'm not entirely sure what you're addressing with this. I haven't seen anyone complain about pvp.

* Groups are easy - Take advantage of that facet of being a healer. Quick instance queues, quick invites to questing, free buffs for tossing a stranger a heal. Healers are loved.

You say that "healers are loved" shortly after saying "healers get all the blame." The reason healers get instant queues is because a lot are getting kicked out of groups or leaving and speccing dps.

* Sometimes it is just you - It can be hard to admit, and perhaps it is your gear not your skill... but sometimes it isn't the class or the role, it is just you.

Or in this case, it's just the majority of the people that visit these forums, and consequently almost every healer I've talked to in-game.
Edited by Mixtape on 12/10/2010 4:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
83 Night Elf Priest
12/10/2010 4:09 PMPosted by Mixtape
Only the last few points contain actual advice. The rest is really just telling everyone things we already know.

Things *you* already know ;)

New players are always coming into the game. Old players are always trying out new roles. I've learned that common sense isn't always as common as we'd think.

You say that "healers are loved" shortly after saying "healers get all the blame." The reason healers get instant queues is because a lot are getting kicked out of groups or leaving and speccing dps.

Ever been in a long term relationship?

You can absolutely be loved and still be expected to eat the blame.
Edited by Snowfoxen on 12/10/2010 4:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest

Or in this case, it's just the majority of the people that visit these forums, and consequently almost every healer I've talked to in-game.

said the resto shammy.........on the forums......

yeaaaa.

As well is someone brand new to the game going to know these tips?.....

They should still be stickied imo

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
12/10/2010 4:15 PMPosted by Snowfoxen
12/10/2010 4:09 PMPosted by Mixtape

Things *you* already know ;)

New players are always coming into the game. Old players are always trying out new roles. I've learned that common sense isn't always as common as we'd think.

Ever been in a long term relationship?

You can absolutely be loved and still be expected to eat the blame.

Ok, I misunderstood. You're right, it's important to educate newer players about how much healing sucks right now.

Reply Quote
MVP
83 Night Elf Priest
Ok, I misunderstood. You're right, it's important to educate newer players about how much healing sucks right now.

Well, this game is dynamic. Nothing last forever in it and they are always tweaking, revamping, or cataclysmically fundamentally altering the rules we play under.

What would you tell healers today, that you'd expect to still be true in three more years?
Edited by Snowfoxen on 12/10/2010 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I'm inclined to agree with everything stated. My biggest problem is (and has always been) always blaming myself. Whenever we can't beat a boss, whenever a person in my party dies, whenever I go OOM when the boss is at 10%... I blame myself. It's a hard mindset to break, too.

Take today, for example. It was my first time healing heroics, as I just hit the 329 limit required. The first boss I did, we killed it on our second try. That's nice. I like it when that happens. Then the second boss, the croc boss (we were doing the Lost City) was a wipe-fest. And by wipe-fest, I mean we wiped 5 times. Out of those attempts, I'd say realistically about two of them were my fault, but you know.. still blamed myself for all of them. Then the DPS told me I blew, dc'd, tank apologized and then left. I requeued, determined, and got into heroic BRC. It was on the second boss, and I figured I'd be fine. Well, we wiped for about the next hour until I had to go to work.

It's so frustrating sitting and watching your group die with no mana when the boss is at 10% health. You've blown your shadow fiend, you've used hymn of hope. There's literally nothing to do.

Just venting some steam, bros. Beginning of expansion is always rough.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
I wish I could friend you right now. <3
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

Point, yea. But blizz really should make an effort not to force healers into the position of explaining themselves CONSTANTLY. If I am in a pug and just want to sit back in heal, I should be able to, not have to explain myself every other second.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
While I agree...druid heals suck now. Totally and utterly suck.

Rest you got it good and no wonder you aint complainin.

And as to the blame game...it's always me, me that has to carry bads. WHY?

BTW! I bin healin in this game since day flippin one and I am at the point where I am thinkin going cat. If I did I get zero stress, none. Just DPS kill order and occasionally get out of 'fire'.
Edited by Flowers on 12/10/2010 4:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 4:35 PMPosted by Rauri

Point, yea. But blizz really should make an effort not to force healers into the position of explaining themselves CONSTANTLY. If I am in a pug and just want to sit back in heal, I should be able to, not have to explain myself every other second.

I would say don't. I once had a Dps try to blame me for there death I simply told them

You died
Tank is up
healer has mana
You screwed up.....walk back.

You can probably tell that dps didn't complain after that. :P

Keep it short and simple. Your the healer.....you make it work :)
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 4:35 PMPosted by Rauri
If I am in a pug and just want to sit back in heal, I should be able to, not have to explain myself every other second.

[kid-voice] But Moooommm, if I move out of the fire I do less DPS! Why should I be the one who always has to move? It's not fair! [/kid-voice]
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
I don't mind the new healing model. All they really did was swap the flash heal and standard heal in terms of roles.

What I don't like about it is that heals are not scaling properly, and they are healing the same amount as they did at level 80 except with significantly higher mana cost.

Its hard to be mana efficient when it takes 4-5 greater heals to top off a tank, and 2-3 per DPS everytime something AoEs.

Chain heal is totally out of the question. As ideal as it is, most AoE damage is not going to be totally avoided even if people run out of channeled attacks or fire on the ground. It heals 5-6k to the first target when people are taking 20k damage.

Eg. the pull with the two faceless ones before Mindbender Ghuursh in ToTT, you can run out but everybody is still going to take a ton of damage while running out.
Edited by Istara on 12/10/2010 4:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I went from 3.5k SP to current 5.4k....my nourish still heals for 5k and takes 2.3 secs to cast. I figure if I go up to 6-7k SP it will heal for 5.2k!

Thanks blizz, may I have another?
Edited by Flowers on 12/10/2010 4:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Healing is much harder in cata than in the beginning of wotlk. Since I've been playing since classic when raiding was actually hard, I actually think it's a stunning return to form for wow that the game takes teamwork, concentration, practice and skill again.

I find how hard it is to heal at the moment greatly depends on the group you're in. A good group and all it takes is a little concentration and matching your manabar with the health of the boss. A bad group and you'll be blowing your cooldowns, leap-of-faithing the idiots standing in AOEs and basically hating the world as you corpserun back inside (because the warlock didn't stone you, and the shammie blew his ankh on trash).
Edited by Luellyn on 12/10/2010 4:48 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]