Explain how healing is more fun and harder

85 Night Elf Druid
Yes i accept the fact that some of you "veterans" enjoy healing a lot more now. However i struggle to understand how you think that its much harder, and more fun.

I would like someone to explain to me why they think healing is more fun now, seeing as all that has changed it your mana, and that you must constantly watch it.

In my personal opinion the healing isn't any harder, you just have to focus on the tank using low mana spells and only heal dps when they are very low on health. You also have skills that are not usable and so you remove them from your bar. What this expansion has done in my eyes, is limit the amount of spells we can use and simply make us focus on the tank. Healing DPS at the moment is simply not important.

If anyone would like to explain to me how this is anymore fun than how it was in WotLK where you could heal everyone, i would love to hear it.
Reply Quote
Its harder so less people can do it and therefore its more fun to some people since they feel special.

Theres nothing fun (to me) about healing right now. Its not even that I feel its "harder" you spam something every gcd till you are oom and hope the boss is dead. There might be some spell choice in later tiers, but as it is now no one can afford more than spamming their basic heal with another spell mixed in every few casts without going oom on seconds.
Reply Quote
58 Draenei Death Knight
The people stating there is nothing wrong have been lucky to get good groups and/or are playing with a guild. They have had success where others haven't and thus feel superior and important. They post 'everything is good' messages so that we all know how elite they are.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It's not so much exclusively the "healing" part of what a healer does that's the reason for my and others' posts about the wonders of current-era healing. It has more to do with Being required to play absolutely perfectly in order to clear content. Those who enjoy current-era healing are likely those same people who enjoyed showing up to a progression raid wipefest. We thrive in environments that push us beyond our current limits, and get a rush when we surprise ourselves by exceeding whatever we thought those limits were.

The limited mana, the extreme importance of conservation, zero overhealing, etc. Is simply a contributing factor to the environment of mandatory excellence.

Edit: And while there are some spells that you "shouldn't use" in general, removing them from my bar would have led to a wipe on the H Deadmines endboss. Without the super mana-inefficient Flash Heal, I wouldn't have been able to keep up with moments of tank burst. Our crazy-expensive spells save the day right now in exchange for making the mana conservation effort harder in the long run. As you gather Heroic gear, you gain the wiggle room that allows you to make such a trade. You simply can't do it more than about 3 times a fight.
Edited by Espoire on 12/10/2010 4:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I've enjoyed every other method of healing except this one. I didn't mind always keeping a HT in the pocket in Vanilla, and rolling Lifeblooms in BC, and having beefy rejuvs+regrowth+nourish in WotLK. But now it's just spamming Healing Wave with a Riptide every cd and praying for the best. It's more difficult in the sense that anyone taking more damage than a HW can cover will either die or drain my mana considerably, but is that really what people consider challenging? Seems like false difficulty stemming from bad design.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/10/2010 4:21 PMPosted by Espoire
It's not so much exclusively the "healing" part of what a healer does that's the reason for my and others' posts about the wonders of current-era healing. It has more to do with Being required to play absolutely perfectly in order to clear content. Those who enjoy current-era healing are likely those same people who enjoyed showing up to a progression raid wipefest. We thrive in environments that push us beyond our current limits, and get a rush when we surprise ourselves by exceeding whatever we thought those limits were.

The limited mana, the extreme importance of conservation, zero overhealing, etc. Is simply a contributing factor to the environment of mandatory excellence.

You don't need to be perfect, i don't understand why so many think that. It's simple, heal the tank and forget about dps because they will only take damage that is avoidable, hence its basically their problem if they die.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/10/2010 4:23 PMPosted by Lambertians
You don't need to be perfect, i don't understand why so many think that. It's simple, heal the tank and forget about dps because they will only take damage that is avoidable, hence its basically their problem if they die.

Ah, but it's about the perception, the experience of the people the OP is asking about. Sure it's not truly perfect, but it feels like it, and that feeling is what leads to the healers that actually enjoy the current-style healing enjoying it.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I'm required to actually pay attention to positioning, which spells I'm using, and conserving mana, while my group is forced to pay attention to the same things, leading to challenging encounters with neat mechanics.

Which is significantly more fun than autofollowing with the tank targetted, and spamming my chain heal button as he runs me through the instance like the last two expansions.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Now, that I've made my less quibbling reply, I must also say that "heal the tank, ignore the DPS" is a gross over simplification. In regulars, sure. In Heroic, not so. If you let a DPS drop early, you're doomed to wipe most of the time. If that DPS takes so much damage that you'll OOM doing so, then yeah, he dies, and that DPS wiped your group. The thing is, in a lot of Heroic fights (those in H SFK come to mind) there is more than enough unavoidable damage going around to kill even DPS that never step near the crap on the floor.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
When i said ignore the dps, as i posted in my OP, i ment until they are about to die, in which case you must heal them obviously.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
12/10/2010 4:39 PMPosted by Lambertians
When i said ignore the dps, as i posted in my OP, i ment until they are about to die, in which case you must heal them obviously.

In which case it's often too late, because you generally can't put out enough healing to keep them up.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
I`m still 1 ilv away from heroics, and loving the new mechanics. Sure, i need to drink every 2 pulls, and pray to god i don't get a stam stacking tank before queueing, but i think this is an expansion i wont be stepping away when the third content patch arrives.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/10/2010 5:18 PMPosted by Gardel
I`m still 1 ilv away from heroics, and loving the new mechanics. Sure, i need to drink every 2 pulls, and pray to god i don't get a stam stacking tank before queueing, but i think this is an expansion i wont be stepping away when the third content patch arrives.

I enjoyed healing until it came to heroics.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
It sounds easy on paper to: "Heal the tank and ignore the DPS who are professionally avoiding damage", What do you do on a heroic boss that has an unavoidable AE that, combined, hits 5 players for 75THOUSAND damage+Change every tick?
Edited by Maniza on 12/10/2010 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
12/10/2010 4:12 PMPosted by Lambertians
Yes i accept the fact that some of you "veterans" enjoy healing a lot more now. However i struggle to understand how you think that its much harder, and more fun.

I would like someone to explain to me why they think healing is more fun now, seeing as all that has changed it your mana, and that you must constantly watch it.

In my personal opinion the healing isn't any harder, you just have to focus on the tank using low mana spells and only heal dps when they are very low on health. You also have skills that are not usable and so you remove them from your bar. What this expansion has done in my eyes, is limit the amount of spells we can use and simply make us focus on the tank. Healing DPS at the moment is simply not important.

If anyone would like to explain to me how this is anymore fun than how it was in WotLK where you could heal everyone, i would love to hear it.

In Wrath, I used to HoT everyone up, then alt-tab to check my e-mail. THAT wasn't fun.

I now have long-forgotten spells back on my bar like cyclone and roots.

In Vortex Pinnacle today, we had the rogue sap a target, the mage sheep one, I rooted a 3rd, then cycloned the 4th while the tank dealt with one of them. Was that totally unnecessary? Yes. Was it fun and epic? YES!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
It now requires THOUGHT. From not only you, the healer, but from EVERYONE in your group.

That is why it is more difficult and that is why it is more fun.

And as the poster above me has noted: CC is hilarious and awesome if done right. Mind Control wins for best CC, though. Just saying.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
You know I think I would have more fun with this hard healing crap if I could use more than one mana potion per fight.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/10/2010 9:30 PMPosted by Maniza
It sounds easy on paper to: "Heal the tank and ignore the DPS who are professionally avoiding damage", What do you do on a heroic boss that has an unavoidable AE that, combined, hits 5 players for 75THOUSAND damage+Change every tick?

There's no such boss?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
More fun = people don't die in <1s when playing half-decently.

More challenging = more room to make mechanics that are hard to heal through that don't involve people dying in <1s or insta-gibbed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]