Lightwell: A Humble Suggestion

85 Blood Elf Priest
As many know, Blizzard has been trying to make lightwell work, and the most difficult mechanic keeping it from doing so is that non-healing classes aren't focused on healing (even themselves), and in my opinion, that's okay (well, to an extent). I've come up with a base suggestion to make lightwell more of a feasible mechanic: the lightwell should be more of a moonwell from WC3. Now, in WC3 moonwells could auto-heal units, but that's NOT what I'm suggesting--the priest should have to control the lightwell's healing, since that's our job. I'm suggesting lightwells still have charges, and still have the same (or similar) healing mechanic, but once the lightwell is cast, the lightwell icon/spell should transform into an icon that can use a charge from the lightwell and place it on a raid-member who is within range (currently 15 yards) of the lightwell; doing so removes the charge as if the lightwell was clicked by the raidmember. The new icon/spell would be independent of the range of the priest and purely dependent of the range of the target to the lightwell.

In my opinion, this mechanic is still unique and not boring as you're balancing mechanics of: range ("is this target within range of my lightwell?"), charges ("does my lightwell still have enough charges and do I want to use this charge on this particular target?"), and incoming damage ("Is this target going to be taking so much damage that the hot is going to fall of anyway and be a waste?").

I honestly feel this does not overpower the lightwell or the priest.

I'm curious to see what other opinions are beside my own.

-Tiffah
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I watched two dps die to the aoe on the Isiset fight with the lightwell right at their feet. People at this point are still not using the lightwell even though I literally begged them to do so. I'm not convinced it's ever going to work.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I have had similar issues, people just seem to ignore my lightwell entirely even when I inform them prior to pulling that it would be great if they could click it. It is particularly frustrating in AoE heavy fights when I would rather focus on myself and the tank and I see the DPS dancing around the lightwell yet never clicking it.

Ah well, that's just how it is I suppose, the main issue is how unreliable it is for I can never tell if someone is going to click it or not.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
They better start using it if they want to get out of the heroic alive. This is lightwell's only time in history it has ever been useful or talked about in a positive way. It took making things hard to see that it's actually amazing and one of the greatest HPM (maybe THE best, I haven't checked all classes) spells in the game. When people are more worried about dying instead of topping meters, they use it. And that's how the game should be. Just popping in instances and posting the highest number you can on the dps meter and being bored is not a game I want to play. I want to play a game where people fear for their life when they step in an instance and get a huge rush when they actually down a boss and are still alive.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2010 7:20 AMPosted by Feedback
They better start using it if they want to get out of the heroic alive. This is lightwell's only time in history it has ever been useful or talked about in a positive way. It took making things hard to see that it's actually amazing and one of the greatest HPM (maybe THE best, I haven't checked all classes) spells in the game. When people are more worried about dying instead of topping meters, they use it. And that's how the game should be. Just popping in instances and posting the highest number you can on the dps meter and being bored is not a game I want to play. I want to play a game where people fear for their life when they step in an instance and get a huge rush when they actually down a boss and are still alive.

I agree it would be a great spell but if everyone in the group is just laying dead around it then whats the use. I'm not giving up but after 5 years of lolwell I just have my doubts, as gear improves the need for it will subside once again.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Every group I'm in, the ones who enjoy living have clicked the lightwell. Those who didn't enjoy living figured out how to enjoy living, and clicked the lightwell.

I enjoy how it works, learn to use it or you die. Simple.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for the replies--from both healers and dps. I want to specify more clearly that it would be the priest who has control over the lightwell. This is the key point that enables lightwell to be more productive. The dps can worry less about clicking through the array of mobs that are crowding the moonwell, or to have to sprint past the purple/black aoe damage zones on the floor just to get a heal. In my opinion, it is the dps' job to AVOID damage as best possible, but it is the healers' job to make things better again when the damage wasn't avoidable.

I also would NOT like to see the lightwell become unclickable. It is a cool concept to be able to have a dps benefit from having the exceptional situation awareness to click the lightwell when needed. Afterall, the priest isn't always perfect--perhaps he/she may have another healing priority that leaves a dps drowning: I would like to see that dps know that he's balancing on death and make it a priority to run to the lightwell to get a heal, so he can make sure his damage done doesn't take a sudden and permanent halt. To be clear yet again: I don't expect the dps to always maintain that awareness--they have other concerns as well--thus the request to put some of the weight back on the priest, and let us control the lightwell to those dps in range of it.

-Tiffah
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2010 7:32 AMPosted by Kayìn
Every group I'm in, the ones who enjoy living have clicked the lightwell. Those who didn't enjoy living figured out how to enjoy living, and clicked the lightwell.

I enjoy how it works, learn to use it or you die. Simple.

This! I laughed, and agree 100%.
Reply Quote
21 Gnome Mage
There is no way to fix lightwell. Its always been pointless spell and will be a pointless spell. they keep it around just to annoy those of us who play priests. I was really dissapointed when i heard they were keeping it. the in game mechanics and most the fights encourage people to move around. do you really think the dps and tank are going to look for the litte tiny lightwell on the floor? healing and watching hitpoints is your responsability not the dps's
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I had to make a macro at the beginning of the fights to explain to people what lightwell is and how to use it and still 75% of the time it goes wasted.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
I had to make a macro at the beginning of the fights to explain to people what lightwell is and how to use it and still 75% of the time it goes wasted.

I'm going to make a macro for lightwell now...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]