Best plate of crow I ever ate.

85 Human Priest
Veteran player here and hard core raider. I can't thank you enough for the healing changes. Just got finished doing my first night of heroics and I cannot stress enough how much more fun I am having than I was a mere 3 days ago.

Now don't get me wrong, I have been a very vocal poster for a long time about the myriad of problems with the priest class. I have been as skeptical and negative as a person could be when it came to many of the healing decisions that were going to be made with Cataclysm and how they would affect my class but man oh man you guys have served me a heaping helping of crow.

It's finally a cerebral process again, healing. I finally have decisions to make again. I finally feel like it's, well, a game again. It feels fantastic. I communicate with my group mates/guildies. We discuss strategies, experiment with different methods and we fail sometimes, hard and it takes us 2 hours on some bosses just to figure out where to minimize and maximize our damage/healing in and out and you know what. It's frigging fantastic.

Please please please don't cave to this wave of negative sentiment and change your course. Stay strong and courageous and let these changes work themselves out. People who can't adapt will move on to other classes or find other things to do and you know what, that's ok. For every one of these Wrath babies you lose, you will pick up two in people who enjoy an engaging and thought provoking gaming experience.

Huzzah! The days of digital Whack-A-Mole are over!! Long live the Cataclysm style of healing!!

Now, having said all of that, I would like to point out that I reserve my right to revert back to the critical curmudgeon I was when it comes to class balance between the healing classes and their performances in the new raiding environments but you know what, you have made the game so much more fun for me now, I might even give you guys and gals a little slack while you fine tune us throughout the first tier of raiding content.

Thank you for making me eat my words. Thank you for making me think again. Thank you, in advance, for sticking to this decision. Trust yourselves and let this wave of tears pass. You are on the right track with healers, never doubt it, not for one minute.
Reply Quote
61 Human Paladin
I do agree, the new healing system actually sparks my interest and keeps me awake! This is the best change blizzard has made, I just hope they don't fall into pressure from the minor 10% of the healing base who is whining.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Warrior
12/11/2010 2:59 AMPosted by Sparklehorse
Veteran player here and hard core raider. I can't thank you enough for the healing changes. Just got finished doing my first night of heroics and I cannot stress enough how much more fun I am having than I was a mere 3 days ago.

Now don't get me wrong, I have been a very vocal poster for a long time about the myriad of problems with the priest class. I have been as skeptical and negative as a person could be when it came to many of the healing decisions that were going to be made with Cataclysm and how they would affect my class but man oh man you guys have served me a heaping helping of crow.

It's finally a cerebral process again, healing. I finally have decisions to make again. I finally feel like it's, well, a game again. It feels fantastic. I communicate with my group mates/guildies. We discuss strategies, experiment with different methods and we fail sometimes, hard and it takes us 2 hours on some bosses just to figure out where to minimize and maximize our damage/healing in and out and you know what. It's frigging fantastic.

Please please please don't cave to this wave of negative sentiment and change your course. Stay strong and courageous and let these changes work themselves out. People who can't adapt will move on to other classes or find other things to do and you know what, that's ok. For every one of these Wrath babies you lose, you will pick up two in people who enjoy an engaging and thought provoking gaming experience.

Huzzah! The days of digital Whack-A-Mole are over!! Long live the Cataclysm style of healing!!

Now, having said all of that, I would like to point out that I reserve my right to revert back to the critical curmudgeon I was when it comes to class balance between the healing classes and their performances in the new raiding environments but you know what, you have made the game so much more fun for me now, I might even give you guys and gals a little slack while you fine tune us throughout the first tier of raiding content.

Thank you for making me eat my words. Thank you for making me think again. Thank you, in advance, for sticking to this decision. Trust yourselves and let this wave of tears pass. You are on the right track with healers, never doubt it, not for one minute.

I understand your point however many people would not consider two hours on one instance boss fight very fun.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
believe it or not, you are the minority who likes this system. I like the idea where I have to think about what heals I use, but I should see some of the fruits of my spent mana when I do heal someone.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/11/2010 3:03 AMPosted by Duloola

I understand your point however many people would not consider two hours on one instance boss fight very fun.

Those people should run normal instances until they are better geared, or maybe do something else. Heroic bosses are supposed to be...you know...heroic. They aren't supposed to roll over and give us loot. We should have to work for those rewards.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Warrior
I respect your opinion however, whenever a game becomes connotative of hard work, I cant help but believe something is wrong their.

I have played a healer since shortly after release and think to myself, if it is difficult, maybe too difficult for skilled players, I can't imagine what the casual base will go through.

Hours and hours on one boss might be more appropriate for the raiding crowd whereas instances were directed at people looking for a quick group, hence the PUG system.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It is supposed to be hard work on heroic.
It's heroic.....

And quite frankly it's not hard. I'm already going through heroics with ease. In a few weeks these will be indeed quick groups.

If you do not like progression or challenging yourself, I suggest lvling as well as getting your professions up before attempting dungeons.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/11/2010 3:10 AMPosted by Duloola
I respect your opinion however, whenever a game becomes connotative of hard work, I cant help but believe something is wrong their.

I have played a healer since shortly after release and think to myself, if it is difficult, maybe too difficult for skilled players, I can't imagine what the casual base will go through.

Hours and hours on one boss might be more appropriate for the raiding crowd whereas instances were directed at people looking for a quick group, hence the PUG system.

That would be a viable argument if they actually removed instances for casual players but they did not. They are still there, just waiting for the more casual player to come in and have a blast.

The heroic instances are meant to challenge players. If you know you don't have time to be challenged, then don't que, simple as that. Come back later when you do have time, or just run normals and buy the vendor gear. Have you seen how awesome the normal vendor gear is?

They have provided us with a true tier system now. It should have been this way all along. The game can now function and be valued by multiple types of players and all of them will now be rewarded for the amount of effort they put into the experience.

This change has made their game more valuable and legitimate and has given healers in particular, a chance to shine again. It is a much more sensible approach than the previous one which was, let's just hand everybody gear until there is so much of it that there is no longer any distinction between players.

It's not as difficult as many of these whine threads would have you believe and when I say we spent two hours on one boss, it was literally, one boss. I cleared 5 heroics in about 6 hours tonight. I was not in my heroic ICC gear, I was in the same blues and greens that everybody else is in and I did it. Trust me, if I can do it, anybody can.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
12/11/2010 3:19 AMPosted by Bizzix
12/11/2010 3:13 AMPosted by Sedivy
It is supposed to be hard work on heroic.
It's heroic.....

This is a game bro.

" ... Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. ... "
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I was really hoping your post would be full of stupid so I could tell you to go make like Mark Linkous, Mr. Sparklehorse, but I cannot do it. Damnit. I never get to make Sparklehorse cracks and when I get the chance, it's blown.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I personally like how heroics are right now; they are challenging. I'm sure come T11 hard mode gear or T12 gear they will become faceroll again, but right now its not impossible, it just requires some thought, and not just a spam fest of buttons

Healers can't save people from their own stupidity anymore, people will have to learn. Healing right now is as much keeping people alive, as it is people not taking damage that can be avoided.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

Problem #1: Not everybody likes "spending 2 hours on some bosses just to figure out where to minimize and maximize our damage/healing in and out." They are heroics, not BIS end-game raids.

Problem #2: I shouldn't have to do heroics with my guild. I should be able to do heroics with random people I have never played with before. Once again, they are heroics, not BIS end-game raids.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself but from what I've seen on these forums most people are not so you are in the minority. So no, Blizzard shouldn't listen to the minority.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/11/2010 3:20 AMPosted by Sparklehorse
That would be a viable argument if they actually removed instances for casual players but they did not. They are still there, just waiting for the more casual player to come in and have a blast.

There are a grand total of 5 non-heroic 5 mans available to level 85 characters. Of those only 3 give loot that is better than, or equal to, that obtained through quests. So yes, there are 3 relevant dungeons for level 85s outside of heroics. Hardly enough content to satisfy the mass of "casual" players that pays for the lions share of the subs.

I'm glad that you, as a "hardcore raider" found the heroics to be fun and challenging. I fear that "casuals" will find them to be frustrating and demoralizing. Tuning the heroics to cater to the "hardcore' seems a bit ridiculous since the truly hardcore will be leaving heroics in the coming days, if they haven't already, only to return for their daily valor points. It's the casuals that will be playing and replaying the heroics for the foreseeable future.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Problem #1: Not everybody likes "spending 2 hours on some bosses just to figure out where to minimize and maximize our damage/healing in and out." They are heroics, not BIS end-game raids.

This is current content (heroics) whether you believe it or not, we don't have the catch-up epics yet. Heroics are hard, don't get me wrong, but they are by no means impossible. Just because you don't want it to be hard, doesn't mean it shouldn't be at this point in the game. Give it time, do the easier heroics if that is all you are capable of (not a sleight, just a suggestion.) or stay out of them entirely until you feel you are ready.

Problem #2: I shouldn't have to do heroics with my guild. I should be able to do heroics with random people I have never played with before. Once again, they are heroics, not BIS end-game raids.

You don't! I have had multiple heroics in pugs that have gone absolutely awesome; some better then my guild runs. You absolutely can run heroics with people you've never met before; they just can't be idiots.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself but from what I've seen on these forums most people are not so you are in the minority. So no, Blizzard shouldn't listen to the minority.

This is a very minor fraction of the populace; it just happens to be the most vocal (or usually). Do I expect Blizzard to cave? Yeah I actually do given past records. But they really shouldn't, content is doable; and yes you will wipe along the way; there should be plenty of risk for the reward.

TL;DR -- Adapt to it, its not as hard as you make it out to be.
Edited by Ashaar on 12/11/2010 4:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

This is current content (heroics) whether you believe it or not, we don't have the catch-up epics yet. Heroics are hard, don't get me wrong, but they are by no means impossible. Just because you don't want it to be hard, doesn't mean it shouldn't be at this point in the game. Give it time, do the easier heroics if that is all you are capable of (not a sleight, just a suggestion.) or stay out of the entirely until you feel you are ready.

When did I say heroics are impossible? They aren't impossible, they are just unnecessarily hard. Why do you have to have a "perfect" rotation to complete a 5 man heroic? Why do you have to have all your gear enchanted as best as possible and use consumables? These are not end-game raids here my friend. They should not be a cakewalk...I am not saying that. But they should not give healers and DPS carpal tunnel either. There is a happy medium and this is not it.

You don't! I have had multiple heroics in pugs that have gone absolutely awesome; some better then my guild runs. You absolutely can run heroics with people you've never met before; they just can't be idiots.

Please show me where in the random LFG screen I can check off "Do not accept idiots into group." I haven't seen it before.

This is a very minor fraction of the populace; it just happens to be the most vocal (or usually). Do I expect Blizzard to cave? Yeah I actually do given past records. But they really shouldn't, content is doable; and yes you will wipe along the way; there should be plenty of risk for the reward.

I agree....there should be a risk for the reward. Except the reward for completing heroics does not equal the risk of completing them.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
When did I say heroics are impossible? They aren't impossible, they are just unnecessarily hard. Why do you have to have a "perfect" rotation to complete a 5 man heroic? Why do you have to have all your gear enchanted as best as possible and use consumables? These are not end-game raids here my friend. They should not be a cakewalk...I am not saying that. But they should not give healers and DPS carpal tunnel either. There is a happy medium and this is not it. ...

We will simply have to agree to disagree then; I like that heroics require my attention; I enjoy that (at the moment; I'm sure it will change when we get to tier 14 or whatever it will be) I can't carry some person who flat out cannot avoid the fire. As far as end-game raids; no they are not

But they are current content; and current content should be challenging. You are comparing what was T11 raiding to what was heroics at that time. Gear isn't there yet, and probably won't be for this tier. You don't get the ability yet to hot the tank and go afk.

Oh and as for that 'Do not accept idiots' button, you have it; its called kicking them from the group.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/11/2010 4:20 AMPosted by Subtotal
"I'm a veteran so that makes me better than everyone that's not one, I've been wasting my time for years so that makes me special!" "Blah blah blah"
That's all I got from your big post of fail. I sincerely hope you go away.

Mentioning I was a veteran player had nothing to do with any implication that I am better than anybody else. In fact, it opens me up to people such as yourself who's only agenda when visiting a forum, seems to be to cause conflict and to hide behind a wall of anonymity and take childish pot shots at people who make sensible, reasonable statements.

I have never considered playing this game a waste of time. It is something I do as way to escape the hum drum and it satisfies that need quite well. Do I spend a lot of time in game? I certainly do! I am an adult who lives a very happy, successful, social life both in and out of game. My partner and I have friends who we play and work with and the game is an integral part of our daily routine and that is a choice which we gladly make.

I feel like you could have found a much better and more constructive means of forming your words without the need to resort to that old "WoW players are basement dwelling misanthropes that have no lives" cliche. That stereotype is as old and battered as the day is long and it doesn't make you "cool" to jump on that bandwagon. Don't hate friend, it doesn't become anybody.

I submit to you, that if you have such a negative view of people who play the game more seriously or spend more time playing than you, that maybe it isn't the new healing making you unhappy at all. Maybe that is just the kind of person you are? Maybe you should go do something else entirely since there is absolutely nothing for you to aspire to here as the only next logical step for you is for you to become just like me and we certainly wouldn't want that would we?

I am absolutely special. I have been special since day one. I am not going anywhere :)
Edited by Sparklehorse on 12/11/2010 7:52 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]