Leveling as a Protection Paladin

85 Human Paladin
I just started playing World of Warcraft last week and I tried leveling as both a retribution paladin and as a protection paladin. I have to admit that leveling as a protection paladin is easier than leveling as a retribution paladin. Avenger's Shield allows me to take a huge chunk of life out of low level mobs at the beginning of the fight unlike Templar's Verdict. Once I got exorcism and enough talent points to get Wrath of the Lightbringer made leveling even easier for me. Moreover, I was able to take on bosses and clusters of mobs on my own with the increased survivability of my protection paladin.

I read that it is easier to level as a retribution paladin because of its greater damage output but I haven't found this to be the case. As a protection paladin I can kill or almost kill mobs of equal level with this opening exorcism, avenger's shield, judgment. If they get close enough I can finish them off with crusader strike and my normal attacks. As a retribution paladin I had to go with exorcism, judgment, one or two crusader strikes and one or two autoattacks. Provided I can more or less gut the next one with a templar's verdict but it doesn't seem as efficient. Wrath of the Lightbringer makes this even more evident.

I'm still wondering though if I can still level up faster as a retribution paladin. I keep reading articles that say that one should level up as a retribution paladin because it is faster. I followed the tips of those who insist that players should play retribution to level (picked up the biggest, baddest, and slowest weapon I could find, focus on DPS stats, etc)but I just don't see leveling in retribution as efficient as leveling in protection.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I would say that leveling as prot is better, because of the combined avenger's shield, and the fact that you can pull many more enemies and hold your own.

Also, instant LFD groups!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I haven't found a single group quest i couldn't solo.
Except that Ebon Blade one where you have to put stuff into the cauldron every x seconds but the item has a cooldown of x + a few seconds
Reply Quote
47 Draenei Paladin
Protection Paladins ftw. <3

EDIT: It's a lot easier to level with this Paladin with the help of a leveling guide I downloaded. It shows me exactly where to go to get quests so that I can level at a faster rate than a normal player would whom did not have this guide. I hate having to follow a road to go to an obvious place where everyone would go to for quests. This guide would show me where to go for quests that are not as obvious as others. You all should get it too <3.

Name is; Zygor's Guides 3.0.1, compatible with the latest patches!
Edited by Eaoria on 12/13/2010 2:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Instant LFD queues rock :D I also never find myself even close to running out of mana, and with WoG I can keep myself healed while questing and take some heat off the healer in random dungeons.
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
I started this character on a totally new server and so far both leveling and instance runs have been a breeze;)
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
Protret drops behind Ret in terms of leveling speed at around level 81. But it is very survivable. Fun? I wouldn't know :P
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Stick to doing randoms. Once I hit 15, I stared q'ing and never looked back. Instant q's are awesome!!! (coming from a person who leveled a shadow priest....stupid 40 min q's >.>)Yesterday I gained only one lvl, but that was because I was doing guild stuff. I always ding at least twice a day ^_^. I am sure that they wont come as fast soon, but enjoy it while you can. lol
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/13/2010 8:28 AMPosted by Luscinya
Protret drops behind Ret in terms of leveling speed at around level 81. But it is very survivable. Fun? I wouldn't know :P

I went back and forth between Prot and Ret from 80-85. I personally thought that Prot was easier quest-wise simply because the mobs hit harder in Wrath. Especially in the latter content. Ret was faster taking single mobs down, but I wouldn't say it was extremely faster than Prot. The survivability in Prot was really nice when you got extra mobs on you. This is all my personal opinion.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
12/13/2010 10:14 AMPosted by Ayma
12/13/2010 8:28 AMPosted by Luscinya

I went back and forth between Prot and Ret from 80-85. I personally thought that Prot was easier quest-wise simply because the mobs hit harder in Wrath. Especially in the latter content. Ret was faster taking single mobs down, but I wouldn't say it was extremely faster than Prot. The survivability in Prot was really nice when you got extra mobs on you. This is all my personal opinion.

I noticed this as well. I switched to prot after getting killed by a quest mob in Uldum, one of those mobs that has twice the HP of normal ones. With no way to get Crusade up, Ret's healing is laughable at best and after 83 mobs start to hit for about the same as an un-Crusaded HL...a 5k does jack against a 70-80k health pool. And other heals just cost too much damn mana.

Leveling as Prot may not be faster, necessarily, but it's certainly less frustrating. Other people on the same quest? Pull all the mobs you need at the same time. Got adds? No problem. Elite tries to stomp you? Kill it. You might even have to use a cooldown or two. Plus, it's been mentioned already, but insta-queues for instances.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin
Just hit 50 and respec'd from Ret to Prot. I haven't tried it out yet, but Ret was pretty boring. I felt like I was just spamming Crusader Strike and waiting for instant-Exorcism to proc. Prot might be no better, but we'll see.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
it's nice to be able to not only not care if I get an add or two while questing but actively encourage it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have tried both while leveling up. My opinion is Ret is faster killing single targets. Prot is way faster for killing multiple mobs though. So like someone else mentioned as Prot try to pull 3-5 mobs at a time - that is where prot shines. You can easily kill the mobs and move onto the next group significantly faster and with zero down time than you can with ret.

Plus instant ques make jumping into a couple dungeons when the quest grind gets too much a breeze.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]