A question for the "healing is fun!" ppl

85 Goblin Shaman
After reading a large chuck of the posts on these forums, it's pretty clear, that healing is not fun. Nor is it hard. Most posts are either QQers, who try heroics, get in a bad group, are in bad gear themselves, and fail horribly. The rest are posts of people claiming how AMAZING the new healing system is, how HARD, yet so fun, and complex it is. DECISION MAKING they say. All you need to do, according to them is ADAPT.

So I ask you oh so amazing players. What spells are you using? As for a shaman, we have 5 general spells we *can* use during the course of an instance.

1) Healing wave
2)Healing Surge
3)Greater Healing wave
4) Riptide
5) Healing Rain
(I'm not even gonna mention chain heal, its useless, as it costs more than healing wave, and heals for less if you don't get all 4 jumps)

Out of those, which ones are you having to *decide* to use? It can't be healing surge, its near useless, costs nearly 3x as much as healing wave, for less than a 50% more of a heal. Greater healing wave then maybe? Sure, it can be used, but not much before you completely oom yourself.

So we're left with 1,4, and 5. Healing rain is situational at best, and requires all 5 party members to be inside it to be worth the mana cost. So now we're left with healing wave and riptide.

Riptide has a cool down, and at best you can have it on 3 targets at once. From my exp in instance this is actually pretty good, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD GROUP. The unavoidable dmg is easily healed by riptide (when i say healed, i mean they're hp doesn't move, not up or down.)

So we're left with healing wave, a 2.5 second cast 8k heal that we have to SPAM to actually heal the tank through dmg. In alot of posts, I read, "Wotlk was so boring, all we did was spam one heal and go afk".

So, what exactly are we doing now? OHHHH thats right, we're using TWO spells, an instant with a cooldown, and spamming SLOW cast spell that gives us no satisfaction that we actually did anything.

Which brings me to my next point. To all the people posting about how fun and exciting it is, and how people just need to l2p. You are not good at healing, your GROUP was good at CC/avoiding things.

As it is right now, healer skill plays a backseat to everyone elses. I know most of you want to flex your epeen about how amazing you are at the new healing system, and everyone else is just bad, but sorry, you're not good. Well, I'll put it another way, you may be a good healer, but it doesn't matter. Your skill, as long as its average or even slightly below average, doesn't matter in the slightest.

I've healed a pretty good number of heroics, more than most fail, but the ones that do finally clear the instance, I never once felt like it was because I was a good healer and we cleared it BECAUSE I was the healer, not some other healer that's just average.

So hears my question i really want answered.

What exactly makes healing hard for you? If you're in a good group, its a cakewalk. I've been in group where i never dropped below 75%,was able kept everyone TOPPED off, which according to most people in the "this is so hard and fun" camp, should be a big no no. And when you're in a bad group, you aren't clearing it, you're either replacing everyone or leaving. So how is this hard? How is this fun ?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
How is this fun ?

It's not, it's 20x more stressful than healing has been in the 5 years I've healed in this game.
I'm all for hard content, I'm not all for making things so healing intensive yet nerfing the hell out of heals at the same time. One or the other, not both.

It's Blizz SOP.

Something's OP > Make them so underpowered they're useless > Buff them so much they double what other classes can do > Nerf them so bad they can't get a group for money

Ask Ret Pallies and Hunters, they can tell you all about it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Well, I won't argue with you on the not-fun part.

But we're not all shaman - priests are a bit more complicated in our current incarnation. As Disc I'm making fairly solid use of Penance, Prayer of Mending, Greater Heal, Prayer of Healing, Power Word: Shield, Power Word: Barrier, Divine Hymn, and some Smite/Atonement. Holy's a bit blander, with only Heal, GHeal, HW: Serenity, Divine Hymn and Renew being particularly effective right now (though sometimes PoH is also necessary). But that's still more than Riptide/HW spam.

I can see priests who are accustomed to being able to heal entire instances with a single spell finding the new style somewhat challenging. (It is true that by the end of WOTLK, you could pick any one of the 23598247 healing spells in a priest's spellbook with a cooldown less than 10 seconds and heal essentially any heroic using only that spell...I proved it for Holy Nova, Renew, PoM, PoH, CoH, Penance, and PWS). And in some ways the new style is interesting for us. It has potential.

It is not, however, fun in its current incarnation. There are quite a few things wrong with it - the reliance on Heal/Healing Wave/their boring clones being the most obvious. Slow casting tiny spell with no class flavour = not fun. Also not fun is the relative weakness of our supposedly "big" heals. They're weak compared to content, which is bad enough, but they're also weak compared to health pools, which is worse - it eliminates the "reward" factor of casting something big/expensive.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I definitely agree here. There doesn't really seem to be alot of skillful play in stacking LB to 3, and spamming nourish. I don't feel awesome, I feel bored. As far as people want to bash wotlk facerolling, at least in wotlk I used all my healing spells (even HT, with NS). Yes, you could probly get by using rejuv and WG, but I did both tank and raid healing every raid, which called on me to use every single heal in my arsenal. Now I use 2 spells extremely heavily, with very minimal use out of rejuv and HT, and I *never* use regrowth unless I have a clearcasting proc and absolutely nothing else to do. This isn't hard, this isn't making awesome choices, it's boring spamming of a lame single target heal over, and over, and over.
Reply Quote
12 Undead Rogue
I gave up healing. My healer toon is 85 and no.. sorry not going to happen, I don't care if I get instant queues or if my contribution queuing as healer will help queue time.

Its just a simply poor lazy solution to answer the "Is Cata dungeons and raids going to be as easy as Wrath?"
-> errrrr.... well wtf, just nerf the healers to the ground lol, they're going to have hard time, as for tanks and DPS, let their damage and uber health pool scaling well with their gear
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
im just upset that my chain heal healed more at 80 then it does now...thats the most frustrating part .. i dont care if blizz keeps everything the same I JUST WANT MY CHAIN HEAL BACK!!! :'(

and for the record healing in wotlk and bc was much funner then it is now so i /agree
Edited by Slowcomputer on 12/13/2010 12:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I'm waiting for someone who actually thinks the new system is fun to post a reply. I truely dont see how the new system is fun, nor is it hard in the slightest. Healing being hard, one would assume, would be my own skill would play a part if we clear an instance or not. Atm, it doesnt.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
12/13/2010 1:28 AMPosted by Vanathex
Rofl. You are a complete moron. Try running a heroic without a healer and see what happens. When you complete a heroic, it's because you are a good healer AND your group was good at CC/avoiding things.

I never said you could do a heroic without a healer. I'm saying the healer doesnt have to be anywhere near as good as the dps or tank to complete it.

After reading your post, i realize you're either trolling, or lieing.

Not to mention you completely agreed with me. Healing isnt hard....when you're in a good group. You already said you didnt have a problem using healing rain when you announce it over vent. So you invite all your LFD pugs into vent? Even if you do, they all actually join?

What you just posted proves my right 100%, a good group makes healing a cake walk (aka not hard), a bad group doesnt work at all.

Healing isnt hard, nor is it fun. And sorry to hurt your epeen, but you're not a good healer, clearing cata heroics doesnt show your skill level.
Edited by Sentrytotem on 12/13/2010 1:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Healers can't carry terribad dps and tanks anymore. People have to actually not stand in fire, cc, interrupt, etc. instead of just spamming their AOE button and posting recount in /p

Healing is actually interesting in groups where everyone is trying to succeed, but the majority of randoms (heroics, at least) are just godawful. I enjoy the actual healing part, trying to make my resources last through the fights and whatever. I don't enjoy asking the rogue why he is taking more damage than the tank, and then being removed from the group.

In short, try with a guild group, or at least one or two trusted DPS. See how much more reasonable it is when people are avoiding the ton of avoidable damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 1:38 AMPosted by Sentrytotem
[quote="14060499238"]
Healing isnt hard, nor is it fun. And sorry to hurt your epeen, but you're not a good healer, clearing cata heroics doesnt show your skill level.

Besides you being intentionally antagonistic, pray tell, what does clearing a cata heroic show you?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
12/13/2010 1:39 AMPosted by Svyre
Healers can't carry terribad dps and tanks anymore. People have to actually not stand in fire, cc, interrupt, etc. instead of just spamming their AOE button and posting recount in /p

Healing is actually interesting in groups where everyone is trying to succeed, but the majority of randoms (heroics, at least) are just godawful. I enjoy the actual healing part, trying to make my resources last through the fights and whatever. I don't enjoy asking the rogue why he is taking more damage than the tank, and then being removed from the group.

In short, try with a guild group, or at least one or two trusted DPS. See how much more reasonable it is when people are avoiding the ton of avoidable damage.

Yes, I agree with all of this. I'm not sure some of you are actually reading my post. I'm saying ALL the heroics are doable, healing ISN'T hard. But it's still broken. It's not fun.

We go from spamming one button, yet getting satisfying results, BIG numbers, but i'll also agree, it was pretty easy. In BC, you couldnt spam those big number or you'd go oom, but you COULD when you wanted to. Now even our BIG heal....isnt big. We're forced into the same thing we did in wotlk wither ppl want to admit or not, we're spamming 1 or 2 spells, but in cata we dont get those satisfying numbers.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
There are clearly issues with healing spell balance, but for the most part, healing is improved by actually having to pick the right tool for the job, instead of just binding every key on your keyboard to chain heal and rolling your face across it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 1:28 AMPosted by Vanathex
Healing Wave: Bread and Butter.

Point proved...you're spamming this most of the time and playing priority wack-a-mole and you think it's fun...moving along.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I dont know what your talking about. Putting 3 lifeblooms on the tank than spamming the 3 button and hoping the DPS dont get tickled is fun........
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
12/13/2010 1:44 AMPosted by Vanathex
Healing is still challenging with good groups. You think I don't wipe, even with guildies in vent? We spent over an hour working on the drake rider boss in H GB. It's not easy stuff, but it's doable. I enjoyed having to pay attention to so many different things, even though we wiped. (Incidentally, we wiped far fewer times on the worm boss and giant boss in Stonecore, but I found them to be 10x more annoying because the mechanics of the fight are cheap and obnoxious instead of just challenging.) Yes, I do invite all pugs into vent, and I haven't had a single one decline yet. They've all been thrilled to get a group that wants to call out CC and boss mechanics over vent. It makes things way smoother and faster.

Healing is difficult and fun. You suck. Get over it.

I'm not sure you're reading my post......

Healing isn't hard, i have zero issues in a group with everyone in vent. I have zero issues keeping my mana high. To me, for healing to be fun, to make me go "I want to be a healer" there has to be something there other than DO WHAT THE DPS AND TANK HAVE TO DO, oh and spam this button here, MAYBE this one if someone messes up. Avoiding thing, interrupting things, CC'in things, arent what made me choice a healer. I can do all those things as dps or tank (I have both, I tank all the way thru BC, clearing sunwell, and dps on a mage during toc for abit). Healing is enjoyable to me, when i'm able to do things other people cant. When someone wants to go for an achievement or raid, i want them to say "I want THAT guy", not "Well he didnt quit during the massive QQ at the start of cata, and hes in full heroic gear, HE MUST BE GOOD"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]