A question for the "healing is fun!" ppl

85 Human Paladin
I wish my resto shaman buddy still played because i could try out the new shaman heals, but i cant.

How ever to answer your question: AS A HPally, in WotLK, i seriously used 1 heal, never really worried about who i healed or mana and just relied on Beacon and big Holy Light spam to carry... didnt really need to do much else besides that. IT WAS EXCRUCIATINGLY boring. Seriously, how many boss fights do I need to spam 1 before boss fights get old?

Now, i use Flash of Light, Holy Light, Holy shock, Holy radiance, Light of Dawn, and Word of Glory... having that many different heals is... simply amazing to me as a long time hpally ( so used to having 2 practical heals for 4 years >< ). Almost every heroic ive entered, ive been complimented and thanked on being a good healer, and usually the dps all complain about how crappy their last healer was.

I dont think even once during WotLK did dps or tanks thank me for healing them... IMO its pretty nice.

And not to brag but when i pop cooldowns, my big heals hit for 40-50k.... if you dont count that as a rewarding heal then i guess you never played back when having 7k hp was a ton.
Reply Quote
I may be the only one, but I don't heal because it's challenging (or not) or fun (or not)... I heal because making sure that every member of my party is alive and well is priority #1.

Make that EVERYONE being alive and well... which is kind of a tick now, what with the corpses everywhere in Orgrimmar, and being thrown into PVP for attempting Rez (not that I care about PVP... reincarnation is my best friend).

And (so far) riptide + earthshield (and healing stream w/ glyph) + the occasional cleansing keeps my parties well healed. Meh... I'll get back to you if I ever hit 85, get into a raid, or let my group wipe :D

::edit::
I think it's best to mention that I quit healing to become a DK around level 65, because I had mana regen issues (prior to the talent-tree revamp for 4.0.0) and noone in pugs would let me drink when I needed to, and would then blame me for the wipe... but with the added meditation, I picked up where I left off, and am as happy as a goblin at a pick-n-pull (on someone elses dime). :D
Edited by Shamsie on 12/13/2010 2:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I'm not trying to say wotlk is the way to go with how healing should work. I agree with most people, that something should be done. Spamming one button over and over isn't fun, but thats exactly what we're doing right now. Except its slow, and heals for less than it did at lvl 80. As a shaman, if i use anything else more than once or twice in a fight/pull of trash, theres a good chance ill be oom by the end, if not have someone die.

And to anwser the dwarf that seems i hurt his epeen. The way want healing to be fun is face paced, able to top people off if need be, but at a cost. If i want a big heal, and i spend mana on a big heal, i want it to be pretty freaking big. And yes, avoiding fires/interrupting/CC'in is still part of the fun, my problem is when thats the only thing that seperates us between dps/tanks, oh and we cast one/two heals on them or risk going oom.
Edited by Sentrytotem on 12/13/2010 2:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Healing is intended to be more fun now by giving healers a way to show their skill. Mana conservation is a function of proper heal choice. Where as in wrath, mana was a non issue, so we deferred to healing done which was more a function of class choice vs gear.

I do have a play tip for the original poster. Chain heal is actually still quite strong and well worth the mana if your group is close enough together to get 1 or 2 bounces. Always Chain Heal a riptided target and use Unleash Elements before casting Chain Heal (so the combo goes; Riptide -> Unleash Elements -> Chain Heal). Its not exactly a fast action heal (3 gcds) but that combo is one of the strongest group heals in the game. Additionally, the Unleash Elements doesn't have to be used on the same target as Riptide was, so long as Chain Heal is used on the same target as Riptide. Use Unleash Elements on someone who wont get hit by a bounce to add a little side healing.

I'm not going to lie, I feel far weaker as a healer now then I did in wrath. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about new healing vs old healing. But I will say that being successful where many are not does feel pretty good.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/13/2010 2:06 AMPosted by Sentrytotem
nd yes, avoiding fires/interrupting/CC'in is still part of the fun, my problem is when thats the only thing that seperates us between dps/tanks, oh and we cast one/two heals on them or risk going oom.

After looking at your gear i HIGHLY doubt this is the case, im sure you can heal everyone more than once or twice and not go oom (or you arent doing it right)

Im sure you do something else that seperates you from the dps and tanks (mainly HEAL, since youre a healer)

p.s. OP is mastery that great of a stat for restos? cuz a Stam trinket doesnt seem like the greatest choice for a healer who is struggling with mana.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I'm using the alch trinket for the extra 4k mana on mana pots+ mastery. Its better than the other trinket i have, since i cant get anything else better to drop ( only costs me like 200g to make since my gf is a herblist)

And to anwser your question, yea i can use those heals more than once or twice without going oom. But it entire depends on the length of the fight. Boss at 10%? Yea i can use those till i ACTAULLY am oom, and still be fine. You honestly cant use healing surge very much without oom'in yourself, same with ghw. Yes you *can* use them, just not often, and it better not be at the start of a fight.

And on the chain heal comment. Yes, i know the riptide/UE/chain heal combo, the problem is getting everyone in range to use it. It takes 3 gcds to use +the cast time of chain heal. Id rather riptide one person, hw 2 others, and then be starting on the last person (glyph of healing wave takes care of me)
Reply Quote
Healing is enjoyable to me, when i'm able to do things other people cant. When someone wants to go for an achievement or raid, i want them to say "I want THAT guy", not "Well he didnt quit during the massive QQ at the start of cata, and hes in full heroic gear, HE MUST BE GOOD"
So you're saying that there's nothing separating a good healer from a bad one now? I don't think that's the case. There's plenty of things that can set you apart as a good healer, however, those things probably aren't as noticeable to your average player now. In wrath people might see a healer respond to lots of damage quickly and say "Wow, he has a quick reaction time". Now, you're usually not having to respond as fast, but you are having to make decisions that effect whether or not you'll be able to last through the fight. That's not to say that a quick reaction time isn't necessary at times, because it definitely is, but it's just not the main focus of healing anymore.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 1:06 AMPosted by Sentrytotem
Healing being hard, one would assume, would be my own skill would play a part if we clear an instance or not. Atm, it doesnt.

This.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
You appear to be complaining that your numbers aren't big enough, when we are all still in, or not even in, the first tier of content.

"I'm less effective in dungeon blues than i was in endgame wotlk gear, omg blizz" appears to be the complaint, not spell choice, or having to not stand in fire, or something.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 2:22 AMPosted by Kaels
12/13/2010 1:06 AMPosted by Sentrytotem
Healing being hard, one would assume, would be my own skill would play a part if we clear an instance or not. Atm, it doesnt.

This.

So healing sucks because you don't feel like a prima donna spamming heals on people doing an encounter poorly.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
OP, think I agree with everything you said.

My first toon was a Warrior back in BC, and while tanking (and not having fun with that), I'd notice some healers seemed to crumple under the slightest pressure on the group, while others could pull us from the maw of hell. I rerolled a Paladin to be that latter healer - sure a good group wouldn't put me through that, but with extreme skill I could take a mediocre to bad group much farther than another healer could.

That powerful feeling is what drew me to healing, and BC was a great time for that feeling. Wrath I was very powerful... but I also felt like my brain was dying. Cata is like, the opposite of that feeling.

Right now if something goes wrong there is literally nothing I can do other than hope the DPS have self-healing abilities. If I try to pull out my good abilities, they usually don't help that much, plus I've just oomed myself and turned a perhaps wipe into a wipe.

I'm just there to maintain the group, the power I rolled a healer for is in the hands of DPS. Just try the first boss of HGrim Batol with and without DPS that can deal with sick troggs and avoid charge, literally night and day. Healing it with a competent party is incredibly easy - the stress healers come to this forum to complain about is entirely the fault of bad DPS, not their own skill, since so little skill is actually needed.

As for talking about only needing 2 spells, I use a few more, but agree that there are MANY (including a whole Chakra state) that I avoid because I can't afford them. This is really a beginning of the expac problem though... I wonder how boring healing will get when we can afford to use our better heals, considering healing right now is the hardest it will be in Heroics.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
12/13/2010 2:25 AMPosted by Jujubar
As for talking about only needing 2 spells, I use a few more, but agree that there are MANY (including a whole Chakra state) that I avoid because I can't afford them. This is really a beginning of the expac problem though... I wonder how boring healing will get when we can afford to use our better heals, considering healing right now is the hardest it will be in Heroics.

As i get better, i can clearly tell i'm ABLE to use other spells more often, but the problem is WHY? If i use riptide/hw, i know ill have the many if anything chaotic happens. If i use them just because i feel like switching it up, and SOMETHING does happen, all of sudden I'm oom and the group is dead. So I'm stucking using riptide/hw untill something random happens for me to use something else.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 2:25 AMPosted by Elraine
12/13/2010 2:22 AMPosted by Kaels
[quote="14063096822"]Healing being hard, one would assume, would be my own skill would play a part if we clear an instance or not. Atm, it doesnt.

This.

So healing sucks because you don't feel like a prima donna spamming heals on people doing an encounter poorly.[/quote]
No, healing sucks because it's boring and lost most of its class flavour, and because our spells suck.

Healing is not hard because there's no real difference between a marginally-competent healer and an outstanding one - either will do fine with a group that does fight mechanics correctly and has enough DPS, and either will fail with a group that makes any mistakes or has low DPS.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
I absolutely love the new changes on my resto druid, they are so uber leet. I love drinking a whole bunch between pulls, i love doing the toughest job out of all the 3 roles, and i certainly stupendously loladore spamming nourish upon nourish and lets not forget the stacks of LB, oh the joy, happy days...i must be an uber leet skullcrushing robe wearing epic alien.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]