Why would ANY Disc want to use "heal"?

90 Night Elf Priest
The spell is so far beyond garbage I don't have it on my hot bar. Everyone says they just sit there and spam their version of heal and I don't get it.

Is it because I am only 82? I just did normal stonecore without any issues except for the last priestess taking out my tank when I was .2 seconds from my gheal hitting. We still killed her on my first attempt ever on her with our fury war stepping up and our Spriest taking her out.

Yes, I had to use PWB, PS, PI, IF ( a few times) and Hymm of Hope and Divine Hymm with shadow fiend as well when I was at 60pct mana to bring me to full.

By the end of the fight I was at around 8k mana trying to keep the 4 of us alive. We took her down. I didn't use heal once.

Is heroics really about spamming heal? I don't get why you would want to cast a heal that costs you 1k mana that heals for 7k when you can cast a 4k Gheal that heals for 25k. This also allows you to stay in OOC for longer periods of time and if you are using a gheal + IF combo all the better.

I have yet to see a tank with more than 100k hp in any of my normal runs. My Gheal crits for 35k with wings. Really? We want it to heal for more than a 1/3 of their HP from 4k mana?

I spam smite when I have down time for the crap smart heal and the awesome stacks of evan to pop wings for burst.

Triage Fail imo. Gheal ftw.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
You use heal to reduce the debuff you get when you shield someone.
You use the spell in between...do not spam it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
No idea. I don't use it as Disc. I use it as Holy, but as Disc, GHeal is just better. (I don't even spec into SoS - tried it, it sucked, I'd rather have Evangelism/Archangel for trash and solo).
Reply Quote
96 Human Paladin
it does more hps than smite when arch is up

just saying
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The thing is Skarey is that those 2 points you put into SoS can go towards inpiration/Surge of Light or Darkness.

I would rather have renewed hope crits on two targets rather than have heal move grace. If a DPS is low I shield/renew or just shield and wait till I need to use PoH and dont worry about grace moving off my tank.

True Fridays, but I don't want grace moved. Yes I know I can (and do) a standard rotation for tank healing but heal is so lack luster. Renew feels better. Even without it being improved.

As of now all I do on a tank is time my Gheal. He pulls a boss, I PS tank, pop PI on myself, spam smite 5-7 times or until anyone else needs shields etc.. I then Wings, Penance > IF > Gheal and I have done around 70k worth of healing in...what? 7 seconds?

No way will heal ever be able to keep up. I use flash if its an emergency. If not I let the dps sit around 50pct. They can catch PoH if I cast it.

The 5 seconds off IF is just too good. Thats a free 35k crit heal every 25 seconds?
Reply Quote
96 Human Paladin
Right but arch lasts 18 secs, you aren't gonna be pumping those huge heals for the entire duration.

Grace x3 = Evan x5 (or very close to it) in terms of hps, with smite winning the hpm war. when arch is added heal becomes a lot better with grace+arch. By being able to use heal more liberally instead of being force to shuffle in gheals and fheals you have ended up saving yourself mana in that period.

The role of heal is limited for disc due to atonement and evan/arch, but in certain circumstances it is still the best option. Definitely have it on your bars for optimal play.

That said, I'm not sure SoS is actually worth it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Don't bother with SoS. Use Gheal instead and get your grace stacks on the tank quickly with penance.
Reply Quote
12/13/2010 1:36 AMPosted by Ailee
Don't bother with SoS. Use Gheal instead and get your grace stacks on the tank quickly with penance.

Greater Heal costs me 5500 mana at 85. I use it when I have Inner Focus up, but otherwise only save it for when the tank is very low on health. Otherwise I just use...

Heal. No other spell is as mana-efficient.

Anurok, come talk to me when you're 85 and your GHeal, Flash Heal, Prayer of Healing, etc., spells all cost more than 5500 mana and you only have 60,000 mana total. Heal is only 1800 mana. Heal seems like it sucks, but Blizzard is FORCING you to use it. If you're going to be forced to use it, you might as well spec in such a way that it's as useful as you can make it. Once you get to the kind of item level where you can run Heroics (329), you'll see that your Heal spell is actually quite helpful.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
it's as helpful as a hole in my head.

if i'm to be a holy paladin i want beacon, and all of the free heal procs they get.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I'm not an atonement priest. Saying that off the bat.

I use heal A LOT. Not only will it have more of a chance to crit with T11 (Which will apply your bubbles and if you picked up inspiration, damage mitigation for your target.) but if spec'd right it will also reduce the Weakened Soul debuff by a few seconds, which allows for more mitigation uptime, and more of a chance for Rapture to send you back your mana. And lord knows the mana problems we get at 85 are nearly unbearable without an appropriate amount of Intellect and Spirit. (And Rapture does return mana on multiple procs before it sets up it's internal cooldown. AoE Damage Fights Hint, Just saying.)

Spec a few points into holy and get that cast time reduced and that + borrowed time makes it bearable. I only use GHeal when either Inner Focus is up or if my Tank is OHCRAPDYING. Other than that my Basic rotation in general: Bubble, PoM, Heal If Taking a bit of damage to help reduce the WS debuff, Bubble, Renew.

If taking a bit more damage, Penance, and then heal to near full if the damage incoming isn't too great. Rinse and repeat. And instead of Bubbling and renewing the party members, use it to top them off. Renew costs too much to use it all of the time like in Wrath. And get used to not seeing everyone at full health. You'll have to learn to prioritize just like we did back in Vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Weakened Soul lasts for 15 seconds. Rapture's cooldown is 12 seconds.
Reducing the Weakened Soul duration means more Rapture procs over the course of a fight.

Greater Heal is exactly three times the healing of Heal for three times the cost;
there are no benefits to using it over Heal in situations that are not time sensitive.
In situations that ARE time sensitive, obviously you should use Greater Heal;
that's how the healing model is intended to work; you use the right heal for the right job.

On the subject of Grace; this is a mechanic which lets us do bonus healing on one target,
without making us absolutely overpowered at spot healing; it's an ENORMOUS buff.
Don't worry about moving Grace off the tank; you have a tool designed to renew it.
Use PW:S->Heal/GreaterHeal to spot heal single targets,
and then Penance the tank to bring Grace stacks back to three.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
As disc i completely skipped arch angel and flash heal/heal.

All i did was spec improved renew, i spam Gheal, renew, bubble people, and have macros with IF + PoH/ IF + Gheal.

Penance is just a Grace/Inspiration bumper.

Train of Thought is my BFF
Edited by Drezlek on 12/13/2010 4:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Its a retarded spell get rid of it. BLIZZ STOP FAILING.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 4:22 AMPosted by Ashalanore
Greater Heal is exactly three times the healing of Heal for three times the cost;
there are no benefits to using it over Heal in situations that are not time sensitive.
In situations that ARE time sensitive, obviously you should use Greater Heal;
that's how the healing model is intended to work; you use the right heal for the right job.

There's a huge benefit. Every time you use a GHeal instead of 3 Heals, you buy yourself five seconds of time that you can use to position yourself better, pop a shadowfiend/hymn, lifegrip the DPS out of fire, or just be available and not committed to casting in case someone takes spike damage, so you can hit them with an efficient spell instead of rushing to play catchup with a FH.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Heal is what you use when there's not much going on and the tank is sitting at 80%+. It's pretty much not needed until 85 because mana isn't much of an issue before then. If you can keep things afloat with heal spam for a bit you save a ton of mana, let pennance and free gheal get off cd.
Edited by Gnomender on 12/13/2010 5:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I don't really dislike heal, and try to cast it occasionally, but cast-cancelling gheal feels more satisfying, and train of thought with using IF on cooldown (via macro) makes it (and prayer of healing) decently efficient.

I had originally thought SoS (pws,heal,heal,pws) was going to be money, but in practice, I find I almost always have something more productive to do with that GCD. And this becomes more true, the more mistakes a group makes.... I could see that in a guild run, there could be lots of time where chaining heal would be fine, but I'd just as soon Evangelize some bad guys. (and as noted, an atonement heal that taps a melee dps will not shift the grace stacks off the tank...)
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
i personally hate nourish with a passion now.

and yes i mean i spam it.

lbx3 on tank, spam nourish, wild growth if party wide damage, rejuv on tank if hes taking massive damage, ht+omen of clarity/wild nature, but mostly nourish spam

and i

hate

it.
Edited by Viensa on 12/13/2010 5:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/13/2010 4:22 AMPosted by Ashalanore
Greater Heal is exactly three times the healing of Heal for three times the cost

Actually, it's 2.67 times the healing for three times the cost. Source: http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t105330-cataclysm_healing_priest_theorycrafting/

However, Train of Thought does improve the mana-efficiency of Greater Heal, but in a way that is difficult to calculate.

In general, that makes Heal the better choice where you don't need the throughput and Greater Heal the better choice where you do need it (with Prayer of Healing being better than both in situations with heavy AE damage).
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
12/13/2010 1:36 AMPosted by Ailee
Greater Heal costs me 5500 mana at 85. I use it when I have Inner Focus up, but otherwise only save it for when the tank is very low on health. Otherwise I just use...

Heal. No other spell is as mana-efficient.

Well, except for Greater Heal. Which you should use instead.

Greater Heal heals for 2.67 times as much as Heal. It costs 27% of base mana vs. 9% base mana. Except that it also reduces Inner Focus by 1/9th of its duration - meaning you're saving 1/9th of the cost of whatever spell you Inner Focus.

That's 3% base mana. 27% - 3% = 24%. 24% / 9% = 2.67.

In other words, Greater Heal is the same efficiency as Heal even before you start talking about the fact that it will crit quite a bit more due to the frequent use of Inner Focus.
Edited by Calaris on 12/13/2010 5:45 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]