Just another pissed off healer

85 Troll Priest
Creating a thread to say I hate going OOM every goddamn pull. I try using "heal" but it's useless. all my skillls costs insane amounts of mana. Hell, I go shadow spec, and they do too. I don't get it. I've always been a great healer, able to carry bad groups with pro moves, now I just run OOM nonstop, and blow my cooldowns nonstop and still half the time the tank and more dies. I know I'm not a bad healer. I've been healing for years and years, it should NOT be this bad,. I want a challenge, but this isn''t a challenge, its a slap in teh face, It's NOT fun. At all. I do all the correct Disc things to do. I tried. Holy. I went oom in 1/5 if the time I did as disc. What the hell?! Im running NORMALS and *!%@ is tough as hell. If everyone else was saying "omg that was hell!" I'd be ok, but I'm the only one. .. out of mana... struggling.

What am I doing wrong? I've played priest, pally, druid heals for a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/13/2010 3:53 AMPosted by Atalzufli
able to carry bad groups with pro moves

You need to ween yourself off of attempting to do this. If the other players in the group are screwing up, you need to call them out on it. You can no longer just silently compensate.

Also, get used to using heal. Get used to its speed. Get used to figuring out what will make it better. Heal is your bread, your butter, your knife youre using, and just about everything else in the kitchen.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I try and use heal, and try and to use it ahead of time, but a 7k heal does little when the entire group gets hit for 40k damage. Even power infusion and inner focus, it doesnt do enough.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Use renew alot, dont focus on using your HEALING spells (flash heal. greater) unless there under 60%
I started doing this and its working a bit better.
But I feel your pain.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Current healing model is triage, stop trying to heal like wrath
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
12/13/2010 4:11 AMPosted by Seladrys
What I would do in your position is take a calculator and go through all the different spells I had and find out their efficiency (healing per mana) and throughput (healing per second) levels. That way you can get a really good idea of what spells you should be using in what situations and how to gradually increase your throughput to the levels the changing encounter requires.

I understand what you're saying, and I do try and evaluate spells with healing per mana usage, but I don't believe that anyone in this game should have to go to such an effort to enjoy the game.

I've noticed renew's scaling is bad, but it's an easy on the move spell, heal is pathetic and I can hardly use it practically, and trying to use greater heal expecting damage.

I just feel that I'm putting out 150% of the effort, the rest of the group does nothing.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
12/13/2010 4:50 AMPosted by Divinecloud
Current healing model is triage, stop trying to heal like wrath

I've been healing FAR longer than wrath. I am seeing no traige now. It's massive damage, and trying to not have people die.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
You're not doing anything wrong. Healing is broken and it WILL be adjusted.
There are all kinds of healers out there with there own style of playing and Blizzard needs to scale back the difficulty for the majority. Those who are enjoying the change might get pissed off but at least we will have our healers back in the game.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
@ crazyhoof

I am glad they wont scale back dungeon difficulty. I am having the most fun healing dungeons and heroic dungeons than I have ever had since burning crusade.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I like the style but the mana usage is not right,tanks and dps are getting hit for way more than my HL(7-8k and 9- 10k IF it crits) or HS(about the same) can recover thier hp.Honestly if a tank has 140k hp my heals should be a hell of alot larger than want they are healing for?

and flash is fast but even it is usually around 15k and around 20k-25k on a crit and on a 140k tank thats getting hit by something/somethings(and alot of these mobs come 4-6 at a time) equaling arthas it doesnt cut it so constant flash is the only thing that will keep the tank up not to mention stupid dps that I have heal and their will always be stupid dps that healers will have to save that will never change.

and btw I am using everything i have wings included and watching and using procs
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You're not doing it wrong, i've been healing for years as well, in multiple games and everyone i've played in i've had the privilege of being known as an excellent healer. When our tools are broken how can we work like we're supposed to?
I dont want to hear ppl say that blizz is just making it challenging for healers and that they are having fun, because it is crap. I have healed in EQ2, Aion, AoC, and almost every expansion in this game, everyone of them being a different style of healing. NEVER have i had a class so completely WEAK that i have felt utterly useless. I am a creative healer and use all the tools available to me regardless of what "holy rotation" is suggested and have never had such an issue as i do now. with any of the games/classes that i have played.
The heals are broken when we cant even function in a normal-non heroic group. Hell the heals are broken when the warlock can keep his tank pet up better than i can keep the groups tank up.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Basically we are made to go oom. The key to running a dungeon in Cata is a group that knows how to CC and basically play...tank that knows how to pop cooldowns and not get hit by a 2 shot mechanic that can be avoided, and DPS that know how to CC, follow a kill order and avoid mechanics that are there to be avoided lessening the strain on the healer.

With all that said you have to use all your spells with the situation in mind. Sometimes this can mean having to finally figure out after many attempts when to and when not to do X on a certain fight. Example: Figuring out when the Tank takes the huge chunk of damage that will need a quick powerful mana consuming heal...a point where you can pop Guardian Spirit which will give you a window of time knowing the tank can't die so you can catch up on whatever is needed...Knowing that you can keep the DPS around 50-70% health throughout fights, healing them to full is a waste of mana...communicating-example: That second fight in Heroic BRC, I got feared with no break so I called out a Lay on Hands on the tank from the Paladin. There are just some examples. Hell I even was bandaging people last night lol.

Drop a lightwell- it is one of the best healing spells in the game right now. Don't worry about DPS health being full, keep them at 50-70% if needed. Have tank and yourself pop cooldowns and just pray you can run with a guild or a PUG All Star group.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Let your dps die. Its simple. If they QQ tell them that you dont have enough mana for their sakes over the tanks so quit being lazy and focus on your job.

Remind them that they are allowed to eat and use bandages as their survivalibilty is more on them than you.

Also note priest healing isn't the greatest so I feel for you.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
12/13/2010 3:53 AMPosted by Atalzufli
What am I doing wrong? I've played priest, pally, druid heals for a long time.

You aren't doing anything wrong but healing is far from broken. At my gear level with a fairly competent group I can run through heroics pretty easily. Heal is actually pretty decent with you use your holy word on cooldown. It is usually all I need on trash if there is CC. Without CC i pretty much go oom almost every pull. That is either the groups composition fault or the tanks fault for just LOLOLAOETANKing.

I would like to see priests get a little more love in mana regen. Maybe buff shadowfiend or something to give us a little more uptime.

Pretty much heroics are pointing out the horrible dps players. Not only do they have to mash their rotation but they also have to look out for fire and OMG....KICK THINGS. WHAT!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I'm all for a challenge, but this just doesn't seem right,. Shadowfiend does not give enough mana back, and god, expecting DPS to counterspell/kick/pummel doesn't seem to be in their rotation vocabulary. I recall the days of shattered halls LF 3 dps/CC, and with random dungeon finder I just don't want it to be that it's hell on groups if you don't get great CC. More regen out of spirit would be great. Consider rainsong the BOE trinket....220 spirit or so, which equates to about 500 mp5? If I recall from swapping trinkets and looking at it. But Even then, mana regen in combat is so pitiful it just doesn't make a difference and I can't see a reason to care about that versus an int trinket, when heals cost 4k mana.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Healing is not broken. The healing difficulty and tendency to oom is on par with what it was like in BC and heroics, although there does seem to be a few more "move out of this right now or your dead" moments than in BC.

You have to go back to the BC roots of healing. Using cancel-casting, triage, telling the dps to stop being stupid, things that were completely ignored in wrath.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
... This is my first post... In fact i have really never been a person for "Forums" i usually try to figure thing out things without having to resort to Community input. That was until last night. I did my second dungeon with my guild of friends that i know IRL ... I have been healing for a long time and have been in the guild and playing with these people for quite awhile. So everyone is really comfortable with everyone and really relaxed. The tank is a Great tank. DPS knows not to do anything stupid and wait for agro tables to grow. I like to think i am not a moron when it comes to healing. I mean for a small guild able to kill the king i think we do okay. Now i don't have ALL the cool guy gear yet that has come with Cataclysm but i am not in too bad of shape. When the tank has 100k + health and the rest of the group averaged 80K Health and i have to drink EVERY pull... I do believe something is incorrect. Last night i had the shodow priest in the group backing me up on boss fights and big trash Once i ran OOM i would yell it out and he would pop his Hope Hymm and gimme a bit more mana and we would try switching back and forth on healing. We did all the correct healing moves and things like that but it was SLOW SLOW going.

I think i have come up with a solution to the problem..... On the last boss fight of the dungeon on normal mode this is how we survived..... I suggest this for everyone thats a holy Priest. Run your normal healing as far as you can until you are OOM After that Pop Potions - After that cast your shadowfiend for that extra mana. Use all your Procs.. The boss should be about 1/2 dead by now. Now what you have to do is find something that will kill you. Die. Then you pop up as that BIG angel that has invuln mana! SPAMM HEALS BABY! and you are golden! Soo problem resolved all you have to do is die........

yeah it sucks. all i got. Just hope they fix something with the priests soon or i gotta make a different char.....

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
healing is boring now.. look at it like this.. if dps has to cc and tanks have to hold aggro. what credit do we get not much because we cant heal the dps worth crap and we can only heal the tank and if we slip up a tiny bit the tank dies.....and also if we just let the dps dine it will most likely be a wipe Yay for repairing....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]