Heroic Forgemaster Throngus as a Holy Priest

85 Human Priest
As a Holy Priest, I am having a hard time healing Forgemaster Throngus (Heroic) due to the large aoe damage (mana intensive), and in particular, surviving the Impaling Slam which stuns (i think it's a stun) and hits for ~100k. I haven't successfully killed this boss yet; I've died every time I have been impaled. I have been strategizing for the next attempt. I thought it worth sharing my thoughts with you all.

I had a group made up of:
  • Priest (me)
  • Warrior (tanking)
  • Deathknight
  • Warlock
  • Hunter

So we didn't have any fire resist auras. I imagine as a Paladin, Shaman this would be easier due to Resistance Aura / Elemental Resist Totem giving 195 resist. (25% damage reduction)

Since I had a group with zero fire resist ability, it seems practically impossible for me to survive without taking deliberate measures such as:
0) Stay at 100% health during the mace phase.
1) Keep one or more of the following spells active on myself at all times during the mace phase: Shield, PoM, Renew.
2) Respec Inner Sanctum 3/3 (reduce spell damage by 6% when Inner Fire is active)
3) Bring a Prismatic Elixir (damage reduced by 13.4%)
4) Replace someone with a Paladin, Shaman or Druid for more fire resist / secondary healing.
5) Put a Lightwell down, click it when I get Impaled.
6) Respec Discipline, use a glyphed Pain Suppresion.

Analysis:
0) Seems to be compulsory.
1) Probably will keep a Shield on myself at all times in this phase from now on. Combined with some other strategies this will make a difference.
2) Definitely a great idea - Veiled Shadows hasn't been that game changing.
3) A good idea. On my server these are cheap right now. You could get one for each person, however this has the potential to become expensive fast if you're not confident of a kill on the next attempt. If you're only buying them for yourself it's worth definitely worth it if you have no other significant mitigation. Keep a stack handy.
4) Not always possible. Besides, this isn't relevant considering they could replace me instead.
5) Lightwell is usable when stunned. I haven't yet tried it in this specific scenario. Might be out of range considering the tank has to kite the boss during the relevant phase. Everyone else in the group can do this too, since they're not doing anything else anyway.
6) Unreliable; you might need it to keep someone else alive, or you might get impaled twice. You have to be able to survive this without relying on cooldowns. (Not even sure if this is a stun, let me know if it isn't.)

Conclusion:
I plan to do #0, #2 and #5. If there are no shamans or paladins in the group, I'll also do #3.

Also I will probably have to drink a Ghost Elixir, and bring some mana potions, since I have been struggling with the shield phase AoE damage.

----

TL;DR: QQ Paladins, Shamans (and to a lesser degree, Druids) can mitigate multiple types of spell damage, priests can only mitigate shadow.

If anyone has advice for mitigating damage on this fight I would be grateful to hear it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
You didn't have the best group makeup for this boss, as you mentioned above a shaman or a paladin would have been nice for the fire resistance they bring.

However, this boss is doable in your current gear, I normally save Leap of Faith for people who are impaled so I can pull them out of the fire as soon as they land.

For yourself, I'd save Holy Word: Serenity for the impale so that if you're impaled you can use it on yourself right before you land and then use PW:S (specced for body and soul) to get out of the fire asap.

Other than that idk.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
The only problem with the fight is the shield phase. And only if people spike from fire + arrows. Sword phase is a joke on the tank and mace phase is easily kited.

Stay in heal chakra even during shield phase, and keep renew up on a couple people.
If he goes sword, top the tank and shadowfiend + hymm.
During Mace keep yourself above 50% and heal the rock victims and grab victims with renew and heal.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/13/2010 11:49 AMPosted by Siegheal
During Mace keep yourself above 50% and heal the rock victims and grab victims with renew and heal.

The impale does 100k average. The last time I did it even 90% life wasn't enough. When healing other people in the impale I need to get in at least one decent heal within 5 seconds, assuming they had max life to begin with. Otherwise, I need to start with a flash heal, since it ticks drains their entire health bar in 5 seconds. Renew and heal isn't fast enough.

12/13/2010 11:49 AMPosted by Siegheal
Stay in heal chakra even during shield phase, and keep renew up on a couple people.

I will try this to conserve mana, but I'm not sure this is enough. It sounds to me like you had some fire resist, which my group didn't.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Fire damage isn't nearly as painful as the arrow barrage, assuming your group stays close to melee range of the boss, and has a <1 second reaction time.

I'm positive I've survived with <100k hp. Maybe it was motw?

I've done this a couple times; just pray for lots of swords :p.
Edited by Siegheal on 12/13/2010 12:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The trick to this boss is practice and a bit of luck when he's popping stances. Shield fire on 4 dps at a time and you can't recover. No way.

1) Pop a lightwell. Lightwell is absolutely a must and godly on this fight.
2) Learn to heal just enough through the mace phase. I used to spam heal like mad on whoever got picked up. That's a waste of mana. Heal fast and just enough to get them through and keep them above 30% for the first person (eg. pom and a FH). On the second, I just pop gs and let them die and heal back up to half. They can then lightwell themselves up.
3) Top the tank up on swords, instruct them to pop a cd, then pop a SF + HoH
4) DH is good on Shield phase or on sword phase if it came right after the shield phase. DH is compulsory for you all to live at this point
5) I did let myself die on the last 15% on purpose cause I was oom. I went angel form, topped everyone up to 80% or above and watched them burn him last 15%.
Edited by Sedivy on 12/13/2010 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
84 Human Priest
You don't need to be disc to get inner sanctum, in case you overlooked this.
Reply Quote
84 Human Priest
12/13/2010 12:06 PMPosted by Siegheal
Fire damage isn't nearly as painful as the arrow barrage, assuming your group stays close to melee range of the boss, and has a <1 second reaction time.
If there are no targets in the fire phalanx he instantly turns in a new direction. At least one person will be eating fire the entire time, so it may be better to just spread out around him and keep that at 1, instead of strafing through him and blowing fire onto even more people. In particular (for the OPs group) the death knight could eat it and AMS, hunter could eat it and Deterrence.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Thanks for the great advice everyone. :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/13/2010 1:12 PMPosted by Azrah
one shotted him as disc. i loved all the grim batol fights. good luck to you.

What was your group makeup? If you didn't have any fire resist, what was the Impale like? If you got Impaled, did you have to use PS to survive?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]