Heroics and your thoughts-

85 Human Paladin
12/15/2010 12:11 PMPosted by Tbag
From my healing perspective, tanks with over 130K health are in good shape, and DPS over 6K seems to be adequate (8-10K is awesome). I mostly see problems with DPS putting out sub-4K numbers. You get a couple of those in the group, and I can feel the responsibility for success punch me in the face.

This, so hard.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I'm all for complexity in this game, and on a general level things being harder, but I think that in at least some regard there has been too high of an expectation placed on the execution of some of these fights. I'm saying that in regard to the LFD system. It is a excellent system in theory, for the allowing of people better access to dungeons. However, because it is the LFD system the 'quality' of your runs will suffer and I think that this will always be the case. It just feels like the message Blizzard is sending with these new heroics is, "do them with your guild" (not to mention the whole 'guild run' aspect with 4/5). Which is great, it's an advantage and convenience rolled into one, I get that. I just think that the whole new system favors those with the ability to consistently pool at least 4 guild members together, and use vent.

Maybe it's too soon to be making these judgments, and I'm ok with that, but right now it is very, very frustrating doing something as simple as heroics (in the grand scheme of wow-pve). My last 2 LFD groups were 4/5 guild members and even those ended up taking nearly 2 hours each to fully complete the dungeon. I'm sorry but I do not think heroics should take this long. Yes, there is still a learning curve going on and it may improve but I feel like unless I try and DO the heroics now, things will never improve and that in itself is frustrating. The need to do heroics, but the likelihood you're not going to ever finish them, even after 2 hours.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Posted by Artaiosniul
I think that this will always be the case. It just feels like the message Blizzard is sending with these new heroics is, "do them with your guild" (not to mention the whole 'guild run' aspect with 4/5).

Seriously. Pugging is the WORST thing to happen to this game. I've been saying it for two years now.

This expectation that you should be able to pug hard content (and yes, heroics should be considered hard content - it's perfectly fine for people to expect hard 5 man content) is simply ludicrous.

I'm glad to see the renewed emphasis on guilds in cata. It's the way it should be. There are dozens of guilds recruiting. Find one that works for you. If you have a small family guild, then join with another like-minded guild. It makes the game better.

And it's the first week. Save the QQ about heroics being too hard for at least week three of the expansion.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Actually, I think as of yesterday, it's officially Week 2.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Posted by Zandara

I'm glad to see the renewed emphasis on guilds in cata. It's the way it should be. There are dozens of guilds recruiting. Find one that works for you. If you have a small family guild, then join with another like-minded guild. It makes the game better.

God, I actually agree with Zandara about something.

Going to say that things should be puggable, but the people in the pugs need to be ready to actually communicate and put forth effort.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
My personal thoughts on heroics.... YAAAYZORZ! The game is back to what it is supposed to be. All 3 roles need to not be expletive deleted. The triage exists again. Tanks need to do stuff. DPS needs to be on the ball. That is a real generic summary, but I know you know what I mean, nawwuhImeendawg.

I can't wait to raid personally.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/15/2010 10:26 PMPosted by Sulfur
The triage exists again

I don't think you know what "triage" means.... :p

Perhaps you're thinking of "trinity"...
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
12/15/2010 10:31 PMPosted by Zandara
I don't think you know what "triage" means.... :p

Perhaps you're thinking of "trinity"...
That's probably what he meant, but I think the whole "triage" thing works too, because healing isn't just AMGAHD SMART HEAL!!1 Person's low on health, but are they in critical danger of dying?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
What I meant by triage is that healers have to prioritize their heals to keep the tank up sometimes now. For example, if a dps keeps taking damage he shouldn't, the healer says to himself he is too far gone and stupid to waste my mana on. I will let him die and save who is worth saving.
Edited by Sulfur on 12/16/2010 6:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
That's why I bring bandages.

Ridiculous amounts of bandages.
Edited by Ayen on 12/16/2010 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
7 Dwarf Hunter
First week was great. Would go into a heroic, no one knew the fights but people were friendly and would keep at it. Now, it's a 180 from what it was. Nearly every run is a 3/5 or 4/5 from the same guild and will kick you after a few wipes even if you did nothing wrong or its a complete pug and people rage quit after two wipes. I'm getting the feeling I either need to find a nice Horde guild to do them with or just quit the game and go to an MMO with a more mature audience.

Tonight was a perfect example. First run took 30 minutes to get into, was a 4/5 guild run from Magtheridon. Group did great CC but on the bosses their healer had trouble and one of their dps would die because of not paying attention. I was hitting the tank with Sacrifice and Lay on Hands and 3 HoPo WoGs and still did competitive dps and was still kicked after the third wipe on Forgemaster. Wait 35 minutes for next run, Grim Batol again. Another 3/5 guild group on first boss. We wipe twice, they quit. Group falls apart so back to line again for another 4/5 guild group in heroic DM, replacing someone on the Shredder boss in the furnace. My dps was compeititive, I tried to off heal. Two wipes and kick.

Sooo...I think I'm done for awhile. BC heroics worked because you only had your server to recruite from and people would get reputations, good or bad. Doesnt happen with LFD. So any good Horde guilds want a 85 ret (SORRY : /) pally? Right now, my advice is if you zone and your a repalcement, leave. If its a 3/5 or 4/5 guild group, leave.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
In my experience, the entirety of Magtheridon is filled with douches, however it obviously is other servers.

The LFD system seems pointless to me now. Not exactly trying to talk up the system, but it is fairly new and with this expac they seemed to make the statement that it is NOT the way to go with heroics. Not just because of the random fodder you'll get, but because of the whole "guild" groups. Most everyone would like to be getting exp/rep for their guild which requires 4/5 if I'm not mistaken, and that is the standard now. So it seems the LFD, at best, has lost a large amount of its usefulness/convenience.

/shrug

Is what it is.

I will say that it is very unfortunate how fast people are to be just flat out mean. Just because someone isn't on your server doesn't mean you get a free pass to %@*% all over them. ESPECIALLY in these new heroics, where there is a severe learning curve. Everyone is learning, and anyone who says they aren't is full of BS. People need to take that into consideration. Wrath spoiled everyone, and turned too many people into stubborn, impersonal babies. I've reserved myself to only run with at least 4/5 guild for now, I feel like I don't have a choice. I have a feeling that in a month or so the quality of randoms will improve, and/or the crop to work from will go WAY down as people will stop using the LFD system. I suppose either is ok considering the those that will probably quit the LFD system were probably those who don't belong it/refuse to relearn their class.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
12/17/2010 10:35 AMPosted by Symantha
Cata made the game better for me by the following ways:

Made the mechanics harder in questing, farming and instances. I enjoy the challenge that was not in WotLK. It has refreshed it for me by not being able to spam thru content.

Graphics. The graphics are awesome. The new zones are great ( I personally hate the underwater stuff ).

Storey lines are pretty fun. My favorite is Harrison Jones in Uldum. Being a movie fan of Raiders of the Lost Ark made that grind fun. What I hated about it was all the jumping across teh map. To much back in forth flight time for my tastes.

I love that fact that Heroics are mostly blue gear so far. No more welfare epics for all to have. I like that fact that there will be destinction in progression ( even though they matched 10/25 gear ) At least those are not shared with instances for obtainment in the majority of pieces.

Really good benefits for the guild achievements. I like that loyalty is an incentive in the game.

In regards to raids, while my guild has already done many 10's and 25's my first will be Sunday due to RL hitting like a brick and not much time to play until last night. From the live stream videos of my guild fights I am very excited for what is in store for cata raiding.

Ask me next week what my thoughts are with raids.

: )

Sym

Cuz I can quote. :(
Pertinent information!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]