Ret was made awful for a specific purpose

85 Human Paladin
well to be honest, ret had to wait until the 2nd expansion to actually be viable in pve. still were garbage for pvp, but hey, it was an improvement i guess... don't be surprised of all what is caused by the developers' stupidity, especially when it's mixed with most of the playerbase's. You haven't seen anything yet.

Hey now. Back in the day ret was the PvE spec of choice.

Somebody had to give the raid Kings.
Reply Quote
84 Human Paladin
is "back in your day" before or after the aoe version of kings was placed in and was it before or after 40 man raids? :P
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Honestly, There are some decent ret paladin's who can DPS out there, its not as easy as it was when we were OP early in WotLK but it is still possible to do good DPS as a ret paladin, Since i cant DPS like some of these individuals though, i went prot. Hoping next patch they will fix some of the ret paladin mechanics. (Take CS and DS off the same cooldown maybe? Please..)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
is "back in your day" before or after the aoe version of kings was placed in and was it before or after 40 man raids? :P

Five minutes all the way, baby!

On a side note, at least this thread isn't full of long-winged, barely coherent conspiracy theories about Alex Afrasiabi and Jeffrey Kaplan. I guess that's the one thing the wrath babies brought to the table, ignorance of that entire fralked-up stupid mess.
Edited by Sarannah on 12/14/2010 5:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Pally dps is broke. I have been running some heroics, and a lot of 85 regulars with some well skilled players, and I am consistently 20% less than they are in DPS. Pre "new talent tree" I would always be at least around the same. All the arguments of "they were op, so now you're not" are irrelevant, as this point of ret DPS suffering has nothing to do with "yester-year" but the now. BTW, I'm sure that Blizzard doesn't operate with the mentality of "they were so good last xpac, let's punish them this xpac", so please stop the whole "pallies should be punished" mentality. 'Locks should be though :P

DPS, skill and armor factors being the same, DPS should be at least close. Pure dps getting higher, yes I understand. But a druid, shammy, etc. (other hybrid classes) doing consistently 20% higher dps is just not right. These are based on real life hard numbers.

I've tried mastery reforging/gearing, haste reforging/gearing, the suggested rotations on EJ, modifications thereof. There's just no way right now for ret to be competitive.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I see it differently than most, at least for PVE. Its a true challenge to still maintain superlative DPS now. Lately I've found myself foregoing the dps aspect and playing utility. Holy Radiance and a 3HP WOG on the tank every 2nd or 3rd time I can reach 3HP makes a big difference in how long it takes heals to /oom. Unfortunately, that also impacts our dps in a big way.

What is the huge deal about our dps numbers anyway? There is much more to the class than damage.

The true test of the spec won't come until Cataclysm raids are in full swing. Until then, if you're hit capped, stacking strength, and not a complete dolt, your dps is probably going to be on par with everyone except the DK's, Warlocks, Mages, Druids, Shaman, and Rogues (kidding, of course.)

Seriously though, if you are at lvl 85 and can't manage the Wildhammer dailies easily enough, you need to examine your gear, spec, and rotation very thoroughly.
Reply Quote
Five minutes all the way, baby!

On a side note, at least this thread isn't full of long-winged, barely coherent conspiracy theories about Alex Afrasiabi. I guess that's the one thing the wrath babies brought to the table, ignorance of that entire fralked-up stupid mess.

Oh yeah, well...

YOU GET 15 MINS FOR THE PRICE OF 20 SILVER! God reagents were stupid back then!

Being honest I sorta miss it...Okay, now I'm going to cry because I just remembered DI is gone. So many fun memories of it...

Like DIing random people in Stormwind, then they thought they were glitched because they couldn't move. Or on our raid nights, one of my underlings DIed our terrible arms warrior then the raid would beg him for a rez.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret is not dead. It now takes skill to keep up with the herd. at level 84 i had no problem hangin in there with the 85's , at 85 i take top dps for majority of boss fights.
Stats, abilities, rotation/priority have changed. Its only a matter of time ya'll will figure it out.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I agree, ret is not dead. I did Argaloth the other night and did 12.6k dps, tied with the rogue and dk for the top. Yes, I know Argaloth is very melee friendly, but I am happy with it at 85 so far. Our playstyle has changed, and a lot of people can not get used to watchin' for the procs. Yes, we are RNG. Just have to know how to play "whack-a-mole" and keep inquisition up while getting 3-stack TVs. Use your guardian at the right time and not stacking AW with zealotry, but usin' them one after the other. Oh, and cap your hit/expertise off the bat.
Reply Quote
Ret is not dead. It now takes skill to keep up with the herd. at level 84 i had no problem hangin in there with the 85's , at 85 i take top dps for majority of boss fights.
Stats, abilities, rotation/priority have changed. Its only a matter of time ya'll will figure it out.

Look, I get where you're coming from but please...

Saying procs=skill is like saying getting lucky with a slot machine makes you an expert at gambling.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
OP you describe a motive for making ret Paladins balanced. There is no motive to make them suck, even the one you offered. They are always screwing up balance and always will. Every class oscillates between UP and OP and always will.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Like DIing random people in Stormwind, then they thought they were glitched because they couldn't move. Or on our raid nights, one of my underlings DIed our terrible arms warrior then the raid would beg him for a rez.

Golemagg, a thorium grenade, and a DI. I bubblehearthed the one and only time I did it, but DI'ing a priest was a little more humane in the long run.

There is no motive to make them suck, even the one you offered.

Don't go there. Trust me.
Edited by Sarannah on 12/14/2010 6:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
This is how it has been and always will be with this game, sometimes we are OP and other times we are severely nerfed. QQ and reroll if you feel that way, go make a dk and start out at 55. The main problem i have is that seal damage is #!%# right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]