Why do lock pets hate CC?

85 Gnome Warlock
Last I checked /petattack Within a macro causes your pet to interrupt the current attack and restart, resulting in a loss of dps for button spammers, most noticeable for the Imp Firebolt.
(which is one reason why we can macro /cast [@pettarget] Firebolt , it does not interrupt.

I currently deal with the /petpassive on my /focus macro
and have to remmeber to move him back to defensive for bosses, and to use /petattack, which I usually press while waiting on Soulfire.

Improving this AI would be very nice.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
The pet AI definitely needs to be improved for non controlled pets. Telling warlocks to keep their demon on passive isn't going to stop the blood worms from attacking the glyph-feared target because they have the AI of a blood worm.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
Well, the issue is the mechanic used to work and now it doesn't. Whether or not it was intentional or people need to "learn to play" is irrelevant.

It's a broken or changed mechanic. Please let us know which. :)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
With the imp it's no problem since I have Firebolt macro'd to everything (except the CC - durr).
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
The only reason I even noticed this change was because Imps and Water Elementals started breaking my CC. I've had my pet on passive and had Hunter's Mark+petattack macros since BC.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
TAO
Bad pet AI is bad....

Spells can ignore cc broken by damage, why not pets?

Code better blizz
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I don't mind putting my pet on passive, but why does my felgaurd feel a need to randomly charge my feared target when auto charge is on? it never actually breaks the fear, but it frightens me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I'd rather have them changing Improved Soulfire over this very minimal issue( If it's an issue after all)

I know it sounds strange that pet classes have to control pets.

dur.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
At first, I thought It was a macro issue with my sheep/focus macro.

The funny thing is that I have not seen this outside of dungeons when I pull multiple mobs and sheep one. Can other people confirm if this is true or just luck on my part.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Macros make for easy pet control. I personally have petattack/petdefensive macroed into any shot that I might use to start attacking a target (explosive, multi, explosive trap) and petfollow/petpassive macroed into every one of my CC abilities and mend pet as a wildcard. That suits my needs just fine.

That said, I think it's kind of stupid that pet classes are so reliant on macros lest they suffer keybind bloat over pet control. Hunters particularly already suffer from keybind bloat so badly that keybinding pet control specifically would just be horrible. It would be very nice if pet AI were improved in simple areas like not attacking CC'd targets just to make it less of a hassle to deal with.

And that doesn't even address uncontrolled pets like shaman elementals, mirror images, etc. Our mage has managed to do all sorts of things with mirror images just because he can't control what they're attacking: breaking CC'd mobs, pulling trash packs while fighting bosses, wiping the raid on Omnitron.... It's pretty glorious having to tell your mage to not use mirror images just because their lack of control will have them immediately turning to nuke a mob the mage isn't even targeting.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
The next expansion will fix it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
It's quite strange really. On my newly shelved Warlock, my imp would start auto-attacking my feared target. However when I Wyvern Sting a target with my Hunter, my cat will go stand behind the CC'd target and do nothing.

Once I start attacking something else, he goes and starts attacking the target I'm attacking. However, when the mob dies, he goes straight back to the CC'd target and stands there ... waiting.

I will say one thing though about pets. On the one boss fight in Halls of Origination where the boss spawns plant like pods, the pet automatically goes and starts attacking them without me having to tell them to. Interesting.

Warlock pets with CC = broken for me.
Hunter pets with CC = working ok for me.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Yes, Alki, thank you for pointing that out for the hunters trolling this thread. They don't realize that even with lock pets on passive they are attacking without orders.
Reply Quote
28 Orc Warlock
Pet AI in general seems to be bugged. Controlled and uncontrolled pets.

For years they've always automatically stopped attacking CC'd mobs. Now they don't. Sometimes they still attack even while on passive.

People need to stop with the trolling and superiority complexes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Posted by Alki
It's quite strange really. On my newly shelved Warlock, my imp would start auto-attacking my feared target. However when I Wyvern Sting a target with my Hunter, my cat will go stand behind the CC'd target and do nothing.

Once I start attacking something else, he goes and starts attacking the target I'm attacking. However, when the mob dies, he goes straight back to the CC'd target and stands there ... waiting.

I will say one thing though about pets. On the one boss fight in Halls of Origination where the boss spawns plant like pods, the pet automatically goes and starts attacking them without me having to tell them to. Interesting.

Warlock pets with CC = broken for me.
Hunter pets with CC = working ok for me.

Well they are demons, and demons are bad. They attack CC'd targets because they are bad, and it seemed like a bad thing to do.
Reply Quote
20 Undead Rogue
You should try pet micro, I heard it helps.

Yes, I could use a pet macro... but what's the point of having Defensive again?
Edited by Lovey on 12/15/2010 1:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Posted by Exzavier
ITT: People who still have their pets on Defensive in instances.

Step 1: Put pet on passive.
Step 2: Make macros for your pet to attack or run back to you. Bind them to your main nukes if you're lazy.
Step 3: Enjoy having total control of your pet and not feeling like a retard when your Imp puts a dot on the Hunter's trap.

I would much rather have hunters not using multi-shot on heroics that continually break my CC and wipe us.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]