Why do lock pets hate CC?

85 Night Elf Warrior
Add a "petattack" macro into your main ability like...corruption or shadowbolt or w/e you use the MOST, or FIRST. On my mage, since I unbound my pet attack keys for real binds (shift-t and ctrl-1) I have a /petattack macro on my frostbolt, and maybe my ice lance (Can't remember).
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
Just how much micro management is demonology supposed to require?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
First off, this does seem to be a problem specifically with Locks, because our pets do not stop attacking when we use our CC like others do. As far as I can tell, this is because sheep and traps break on damage, whereas fear technically does not. However, if you have ever attacked a feared target after the nerf to CC, you would know it might as well, since the damage to break it is almost nil. Try casting sheep with your water elemental out, what happens? He sits there, charging his lasers, and stops before shooting it cause that would break it. An Imp however, does not seem to give a $%^& and will dive right into firebolting. This is a problem.

Second, you can't use a /petattack macro with a casting pet, because every time you hit that button he will stop casting and restart. If you mash it, he will literally never cast. Seriously, give it a try.

I was really excited when I saw the Glyph of Fear, but it has been nothing but a headache trying to macro in behavior for my pet that other pet classes have by default. I hope this issue will be fixed soon.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warlock
12/14/2010 8:31 AMPosted by Livnthedream
working as intended. learn how to control your pet.

I keep my pet on passive and it frequently runs to a mob I have targeted, but have not told it to attack. This is when I'm reapplying fear to CC a mob. Every 15 seconds when felguards charge/intercept comes up, it runs back to the feared target.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
perhaps its just an issue with demo then, since i dont use pet attack macros and have no issue with the imp/succy/felhound.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Bliz,
The players here are being nice when compared to how bad the AI actually is. It is not a recommendation. This is an essential requirement. One of many on my list for a year long sabbatical from wow. Some simple solutions to this. Make pet abilities placeable on the general toolbar. Remove CC'ed targets from the mediums to dmg them, this includes pursuit. If I must controll my pets every action it will be a simple task and not this night mare of random pursuit charges. My felguard will even charge enemies out of combat if my target dies just before I hit the button. The pet is easy target for blame. So are you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I always set pet to passive because of my pet attacking a target I wyvern sting. Matter of fact my pet is always on passive just so it doesnt do this type of thing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/27/2010 11:27 AMPosted by Bartelby
I always set pet to passive because of my pet attacking a target I wyvern sting. Matter of fact my pet is always on passive just so it doesnt do this type of thing.

It doesn't matter if a felguard is set to passive. It will still charge feared targets even if the warlock is ordering it to attack something else. They seem to hate CC.

12/27/2010 11:19 AMPosted by Efalna
Bliz,
The players here are being nice when compared to how bad the AI actually is. It is not a recommendation. This is an essential requirement. One of many on my list for a year long sabbatical from wow. Some simple solutions to this. Make pet abilities placeable on the general toolbar. Remove CC'ed targets from the mediums to dmg them, this includes pursuit. If I must controll my pets every action it will be a simple task and not this night mare of random pursuit charges. My felguard will even charge enemies out of combat if my target dies just before I hit the button. The pet is easy target for blame. So are you.

Change your petattack macro to include "/petattack target". If you only have "/petattack" your pet will select it's own target if you don't have one or if your current target is dead.
Edited by Zaravia on 12/27/2010 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think it's a felguard issue because I haven't run into it as any other spec with the other pets. As long as I macro the imp and fel hunter's attacks, I can always control it while it's on passive. But giving direct commands through macros doesn't seem to work the same way with the felguard. He just does what he wants.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have this same problem, and I have just a few things I have done to as a work around, though I wish they would just fix the dang problem.

1) Always keep my pet on passive.
2) I have "passive" on my mouse wheel, since if you select passive when you are attacking something, the attack is canceled.
3) I have the /petattack macro'd to my openers (immolate for demo, haunt/corruption for aff, and CoE for all three specs)
4) Have petpassive macro'd to my fear, I'd rather lose the couple seconds of DPS than have the CC break from the pet
5) Have the pet's main ability off auto cast and macro'd to my mouse (seduce, intercept, spell lock, firebolt)
6) Have the pet attack keybind on T.

This way, whenever I open on something, the pet attacks, without auto charge, the felguard doesn't charge my fear target, when I CC something, it will ask the pet not to attack, and I can save my pet abilities for when I need them.

Not the best, but it seems to work okay.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]