Stop. Really think if this role is for you.

85 Draenei Paladin
Looking through the forums, it's hard not to see people upset about changes in Cataclysm. And at the foreground of these complaints are healers who feel as if they've been nerfed. The short answer to which is: yes, you have been. The long answer, of course, is no.

No one is going to argue that instances, whether regular or heroic, are much more difficult to heal. Spells putting less of a dent in a player's overall health pool, having to watch your mana bar, these things make healing challenging. It also doesn't help that many players, healers and tanks included, are still in a Wrath state of mind which makes learning mechanics all the more difficult.

So to all of you on the forums who are begging Blizzard to increase your healing, I want to you to stop and really ask yourself: Is this the role for me. Because it has changed since Wrath. A random queue for heroics is no longer where you go when you have a little bit of downtime. All of a sudden healing requires a great deal of thought, both in and out of combat.

But more than this. We are, in short, the role without a scapegoat. If a tank or a dps fails in something, they can easily shift the blame to a healer. But if a healer fails, he or she will find it very difficult to successfully explain to the group how that last wipe wasn't their fault. Unfair? Perhaps. But that's where we are.

So ask yourself. Do I want to do this? It's not a sign of weakness to say no. It's not a sign of strength to say yes. It's just a personal preference. Can I be the outlet for the hatred and anger that is occurring as a result of the increased difficulty? Do I want to really spend the time to theorycraft all these changes about my character and understand that, at times, I'm going to lose a dps, or the tank is going to die?

And if the answer to either of those questions is no, then maybe you shouldn't be on the forums. Maybe you should be online and paying some gold to your trainer to reset your talents. Healing isn't for everyone. Neither is tanking, nor dps-ing. And if you don't like the changes to one of those roles, chances are you will like the changes for another.

Food for thought.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Well said. Given the new mechanics, those that were healers need to conisder if that is really what they want to be doing in Cata.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
More difficult does not mean more fun. To some extent sure, I had a blast in H deadmines.

On the other hand the rest of the heroics going LBx3 nourish x100.

Not so fun.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
A lot of people are going to lose raid spots if they do no continue to heal, it's hard to reinvent yourself.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
There is a difference between hard and about to throw your keyboard at the wall. I have played for a very long time and this is probably one of the biggest changes i have seen. Maybe even the worst. Its not just one class or a small change.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
INC
Well said, sir. Not long ago, when the first wave of mana nerfs came around in Wrath, I remember seeing similar rants and raves. Week old XP is week old. People need patience.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
What people aren't remembering is that Blizzard preached the gospel of Looking for Dungeon to us. This was the way of the future the greatest evolution ever to come into the world of warcraft. Now look where it has us, healing pug's in lfd is worse than pulling teeth most of the time. Healing is not hard (may be boring) in this game it's just that blizzard has destroyed pug's and casual play for the time being.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
OP, your post is well-written and I like it. That said, not everyone is complaining about the difficulty. Many are complaining because healing simply isn't as FUN as it was in previous expansions. While wotlk healing wasn't really that fun or challenging, the spell variety, activity and mobility were fun. Those things all seem to be largely missing from Cataclysm. They managed to find a way to make healing more challenging and stressful (which is good) while simultaneously making it entirely less fun.

The problem this leaves me with is, healing is no longer very fun. DPS still isn't all that fun. I never personally cared for tanking. Where do I go from here? Healing is still more fun than the other two options, but I'm saying that the way I'd say warm beer tastes better than old milk.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Another thing - people are arguing the point that all of our spells do have a purpose, just not very often for some of those spells. And that's all fine and dandy if Blizzard hadn't been touting their desire to make healers use all of their toolkit in Cata - when we ALREADY WERE in wotlk and tbc. They've just replaced which spells we spam and decreased the rate at which we use our flavor spells. I'll let you in on a little secret: even during the days of spamming rejuv and wg on every raid member possible, druids still used lifebloom, regrowth, swiftmend and nourish when the situation called for it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
That sounds great up on your high horse of passive aggressive "I'm awesome and you're not" but down here in the muck...it isn't so cut and dry. You're a freaking paladin so you don't even have the right to be beefing on how hard other healing classes are having it. Try it on a priest and in a pug. This entire situation cannot be distilled into "do you think you got what it takes?". Healing is not the secret service or a private club for overachievers; it's a fundamental part of this game.

To compound post by ignorant Paladins telling us how easy it is to heal, no one CC's, Tanks still blindly stack stamina instead of the proper stats and people still think they can zerg an instance. Healers are complaining because Blizzard decided to take the class role that keeps everyone going to the dungeons and play "what we think is fun" with it.

The second I saw this post it made me want to punch a baby seal in the face. The only thing worse than people QQ'n over healing is a paladin...a paladin of all the healing classes... telling other healers to suck it up. Idiot.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It's not hard.. it's tedious and incredibly boring due to the bland playstyle.

If the only way you can defend this system is to call it "hard" then you really shouldn't be calling anyone "bad".
Reply Quote
"Looking through the forums, it's hard not to see people upset about changes in Cataclysm. And at the foreground of these complaints are healers who feel as if they've been nerfed. The short answer to which is: yes, you have been. The long answer, of course, is no."

are paladins really this out of touch?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Maybe there should only be one really, really good healer. Then they can make encounters superhard and DPS can all wait 11 years to queue with him. If he still wants to queue during the President Robotrox administration.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I didn't put all this work into my Priest to now debate whether this is the role for me now. I play to heal. Now, if I knew things were going to be so messed up like this, then I would have went with another class. BUT, my priest is here. My time has been put into this toon... Something needs to be done.

I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Reply Quote
58 Human Death Knight
like Varcolac said. these preachy-elitist-soap box-blizz defenders are as much a troll post as just making up random babble. did you help anyone? did anyone become a better player for reading your post? did you bring up any game play issues? do you think blizz will award your suck up post? this is a stupid thread that doesn't help anyone or anything. maybe the op is the one who shouldn't be posting....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Would people actually read and listen to said productive posts? Because people have tried, and without us actually being there to watch how they heal it's not possible to correct it for them. Going through logs can only do so much now because you can't see how they use clearcasts or whether they're topping the raid unnecessarily.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
making healing not-for-the-meek isn't exactly going to make anyone happy. More healers will have god complexes just based on the 'oh i picked the hardest role to play so i'm better than you' mentality.

Not to mention less healers means skyrocketing queue times, I've already experienced this, with a 1 to 1.25 hr queue time as dps instead of my traditional insta-queue healer role. This was NOT in the middle of the night.

I can understand that blizz wants us to 'use more than one spell' to heal. WE GET IT, but currently, using only a handful of spells is even worth it right now, anything else doesn't cut it. Why should i have to cast 4 nourishes to heal a dps by 25% FOUR casts for 25%? in the meantime those four casts means i have to heal the tank for more even further stressing our mana pools due to having to cast large heals.. They might as well put a debuff on dps roles so they can't be healed by us.. to save us the whining when we have to click our res buttons.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Disliked.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Healing is now stressful, and stressing over a game is for losers.

Every dungeon I go into, its full of dpsers who don't CC, or tanks that faceroll over CC. Its not fun. Blizz wants us to use the small heals, but its just not possible 90% of the time with DPSers taking more damage than the tanks ALL THE TIME. There is just too much damage all around to keep up with. Blizzard's idea of increasing difficulty isn't adding difficult mechanics, its just adding hundreds of thousands of random high amounts of damage unpredictably.

I've been a WoW player since release. This is a game. Games are supposed to be fun. Its not fun right now.
Edited by Svartorn on 12/14/2010 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]