Howling blast 100% threat in dungeons/raids

85 Human Death Knight
Hello, I've been having some problems with tanks lately, no matter what my aggro is, it seems that right when I use howling blast, I pull 90-100% aggro on the mob, any strategy's I can use so this doesn't happen?

Thanks
Reply Quote
OP is a tank and is trying to be sneaky with his QQ.

Also, VII was garbage.
Edited by Tashre on 12/14/2010 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
Howling Blast was overlooked in the general AoE nerf that happenned with cata. Blizz will figure it out eventually and correct the glitch.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Honestly the only time I've had a problem with Howling Blast while I'm tanking is when the DK is way too anxious and spams that @*%! 3 times in a row before I've even had a chance to gather the mobs, much less build aggro on them. All too often I have to lead with Shockwave to prevent the DK from getting plastered.

Long story short, AOE threat got nerfed HARD. If you Howling Blast before the tank has had a chance to cycle through the mobs and build aggro on each one you more than like WILL pull threat on at least one.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
You have to use icy touch if there's cc nearby. Also, we do have to let the tank generate aggro on the mobs if we are to use it, and its not like a normal spammable aoe. It's part of a rotation. Different classes are different.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
You have to use icy touch if there's cc nearby. Also, we do have to let the tank generate aggro on the mobs if we are to use it, and its not like a normal spammable aoe. It's part of a rotation. Different classes are different.

Holy Wrath is part of ours, they could make it a meteor effect like our piece of crap.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I don't have much trouble holding aoe threat off anyone.
Reply Quote
75 Troll Druid
Wait, since when has aoe trash dps mattered?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/14/2010 10:52 PMPosted by Foiblesqt

Since it annoyed the hell out of tanks.

I can usually hold aggro off all but the worst offenders (most DPS I've seen are actually decent contrary to what other tanks on this forum would have you believe), but Frost DKs in particular are obnoxiously annoying with Howling Blast.

My solution is to assign them to chains of ice spam kite a mob, and if they refuse, /kick. That has the purpose of wasting all their frost runes so they have none for HB.
Reply Quote
39 Dwarf Mage
Since it annoyed the hell out of tanks.

I can usually hold aggro off all but the worst offenders (most DPS I've seen are actually decent contrary to what other tanks on this forum would have you believe), but Frost DKs in particular are obnoxiously annoying with Howling Blast.

My solution is to assign them to chains of ice spam kite a mob, and if they refuse, /kick. That has the purpose of wasting all their frost runes so they have none for HB.

if hes spamming howling blast on anything but small adds with less then 30K hp then hes terrible and is just shafting his dps while being a pain to hold threat against, boot him or tell him to learn to play
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/14/2010 11:13 PMPosted by Dekkar

That's really sneaky.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
We spam it half the time because when Rime proc's and there is still 3+ mobs we're going to choose to apply HB(also refreshing diseases on all targets) instead of using Icy Touch. If there's a CC in the area, then of course that shouldn't be the case.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

Since AoE trash can WTFPWN groups. As in now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
It is easy to epeen spam HB but it isnt a fun way to play. I find it is more fun to play as part of the group, be aggro friendly, not break CC, and be successful. I would love to see the glyph for HB adjusted to make HB a cone effect so I can use it near CC as long as I watch my facing, but that is not the case. Merry X-Mas =)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Posted by Lochnar
Honestly the only time I've had a problem with Howling Blast while I'm tanking is when the DK is way too anxious and spams that @*%! 3 times in a row before I've even had a chance to gather the mobs, much less build aggro on them. All too often I have to lead with Shockwave to prevent the DK from getting plastered.

Long story short, AOE threat got nerfed HARD. If you Howling Blast before the tank has had a chance to cycle through the mobs and build aggro on each one you more than like WILL pull threat on at least one.

Most tanks I know start off with an Aoe threat ability early on in the fight. I've started making a habit of plague striking first and THEN hitting howling blast just to give tanks time to get threat. Depending on the tank I may wait a few seconds longer. But usually that works for me. Startring with HB b(esp before the tank does any aoe threat) just makes my healers life harder. As they have to heal me and the tank.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
12/15/2010 7:42 AMPosted by Lash
It is easy to epeen spam HB but it isnt a fun way to play. I find it is more fun to play as part of the group, be aggro friendly, not break CC, and be successful. I would love to see the glyph for HB adjusted to make HB a cone effect so I can use it near CC as long as I watch my facing, but that is not the case. Merry X-Mas =)

>.>
<.<
>.<
Are tanks not pulling trash away from CC'd mobs? I've never broken a CC with howling blast. All the tanks I've had pull everything away from the cc'd mob. Granted I don't HB spam, I just hit it whenever I proc a free one. But the times that I couldn't because a CC mob was too close are extremely few and far between.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Since when you are dungeon grinding and when a lot of heroic bosses summons a lot of adds. I love when a DK is in my group (or a prot warrior) I can usually stay focused on the boss and not have to take down adds. Yeah they will look prettier on the meters but the boss will die faster.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Tanks I run with do pull trash away from CC but sheeps break at the worst time then run inside my radius just in time to catch a HB, get a FF dot, and then I'm left holding the bag for 'breaking' that CC when in fact it was collateral damage. This might happen once a night over the course of several runs but that is enough to earn a CC breaker reputation from our stressed out mage lol.

edit - don't even want to imagine where the HB dps that I can generate behind my toon is coming from >.<

Edited by Lash on 12/15/2010 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/14/2010 11:17 PMPosted by Beermage
if hes spamming howling blast on anything but small adds with less then 30K hp then hes terrible and is just shafting his dps while being a pain to hold threat against, boot him or tell him to learn to play

Frost dps now makes heavy use of howling blast even against single targets, which is part of the problem. It should probably not out-dps single-target attacks, then DKs would go back to icy touch unless it was specifically an aoe-dps situation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]