DK Frost Rotation

85 Goblin Death Knight
Whats the best for DK rotation? to achieve high dps?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Cast Diseases on mob and recast them if they are about to expire
Obliterate - if both Frost/Unholy pairs and/or both Death runes are up, or if KM is procced.
Blood Strike - if both Blood Runes are up.
Frost Strike - if RP capped.
Rime -> cast free Howling Blast
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
thanks dude when killing machine is on i can crit 20k with DW. but the rotation is my prob.
Thanks for the information.. :))
Reply Quote
Yeah in my opinion, DW is waaayyyy better than two-handed.

No problem though, I find the rotation works good for both PvE and PvP.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
So do you use PS in the Rotation and get higher dps with OB? Cus i don't, always thought PS was a waste of runes for frost DKs.
Reply Quote
No way, OB goes off of how many diseases you have applied to the target. So imo, PS is completely necessary for higher DPS.

But that's just me.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Lol. I definitely plan on using it a lot once I get Outbreak. But for AOE trash mobs its not really worth using the rune and spreading it around via pestilence. But on boss fight, yes its worth it. In cata that is. I leveled frost to 80 and I was putting up 3k dps in dungeons at 75, so I never used PS.
Reply Quote
84 Human Death Knight
I do outbreak then just switch up between frost strike and obliterate... other than that use howling blast whenever you get that free howling blast thing... whatever it's called... the talent...
Reply Quote
I hear ya, however I only use Outbreak when my runes are on cooldown and my diseases are about to go away.
But for trash, I mainly just use HB until my frost and death runes are up. I can usually get about 6 or 7 HB's off before I have to wait for the runes to cooldown but by then the mobs are usually dead.

Although PS doesn't really hit for a lot, it's still SOME damage, and occasionally you get a crit off the hit, which Outbreak doesn't allow you to have.

But in current 85 dungeons though, I'm pulling about 8k-15k DPS on bosses, depending how much attention I'm paying to the fight, using that exact rotation I posted above.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
I love how well DW works now compared to pre-cata with Frost build. That being said this is the rotation I go with.

1. Icy Touch
2. Plague Strike
3. Blood Strike (to build up RP)
4. Death Strike (to build up RP)
5. Frost Strike or Obliterate (twice whichever skill or both)
6. If target is still kicking around I'll do another BS or DS just to get some RP up again before next fight.

Now I'm still getting use to the new talent system so I am by far not an expert but this rotation works great for myself playing PvE.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I hear ya, however I only use Outbreak when my runes are on cooldown and my diseases are about to go away.
But for trash, I mainly just use HB until my frost and death runes are up. I can usually get about 6 or 7 HB's off before I have to wait for the runes to cooldown but by then the mobs are usually dead.

Although PS doesn't really hit for a lot, it's still SOME damage, and occasionally you get a crit off the hit, which Outbreak doesn't allow you to have.

But in current 85 dungeons though, I'm pulling about 8k-15k DPS on bosses, depending how much attention I'm paying to the fight, using that exact rotation I posted above.

Why would you hurt yourself by using HB and PS instead of Outbreak and Obliterate?

Also, AoE spamming is definitely not the way to do heroics or even normals right now so stop telling people to.

EDIT: Also, THERE IS NO ROTATION IT'S A PRIORITY SYSTEM. Go read elitistjerks.com
Edited by Zane on 12/14/2010 6:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I use Outbreak and Obliterate, just not in the way you do. I prefer to use FS and PS because of the damage they do (although it may not be alot) before I start to use OB, it's just the way I do it.

And where in my post did I tell people to spam HB? I was just saying what I do to SOME mobs in dungeons, when I'm not single targeting things.
Reply Quote
I use Outbreak and Obliterate, just not in the way you do. I prefer to use FS and PS because of the damage they do (although it may not be alot) before I start to use OB, it's just the way I do it.

And where in my post did I tell people to spam HB? I was just saying what I do to SOME mobs in dungeons, when I'm not single targeting things.

Umm... according to your post you're advocation HB spamming on trash, reread what you typed.

Reply Quote
Umm... the only thing that I saw on my post, was me sharing what I do, not urging anyone to do the same.

Reread what I typed.
Reply Quote
Umm... the only thing that I saw on my post, was me sharing what I do, not urging anyone to do the same.

Reread what I typed.

Someone is asking for info on what to do and you say you spam howling blast... wouldn't that be telling someone to do the same...?
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Death Knight

From EJ

Rotation
Single Target
Say good bye to the rigid, fixed rotations of the past, and hello to the priority-based playstyle of Cataclysm:
Diseases > Ob if both Frost/Unholy pairs and/or both Death runes are up, or if KM is procced >
BS if both Blood Runes are up > FS if RP capped > Rime > Ob > BS > FS > HoW.

Multiple Target

The AoE rotation is actually quite different than the single target one or from what you might normally expect:

HB if both Frost runes and/or both Death runes are up >
DnD/PS if both Unholy Runes are up > BS if both Blood Runes are up >
FS if RP capped > HB > BS > DnD/PS > FS > HoW.

I really dislike the changes in cat the rune regen drives me crazy nothing like waiting for 2 runes to come off cool down and its seems like an eternity and basically you can't do anything worth a damn in my book...
Reply Quote
I gave them the same info I used in the early posts of this thread, feel free to scroll up and check it out in case you missed it.

I was simply sharing what I do, like what some other people did, not telling people to do it. So no, it isn't the same thing.

Me telling someone to do it would look a little like, "Hey, you should try spamming HB as much as possible on mobs.". Not "But for trash, I mainly just use HB until my frost and death runes are up. I can usually get about 6 or 7 HB's off before I have to wait for the runes to cooldown but by then the mobs are usually dead."

See the difference? Or do I need to dumb it down a little more?

Edit: That was directed for Zane by the way since my quote button is bugged.
Edited by Durpknight on 12/14/2010 6:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Blah Blah Blah, Read your abilites/talents and understand their effects. Then just follow the simple rules to being a deathknight-
-Always keep your diseases up
-Understand how your runes, talents and abilites work
-Pay attention to your procs and runic power
-Know what to stats to stack
Simple Simple Simple...
Elitistjerks.com <---Read here, because all we are doing is typing what they have already clarified.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
howling blast
plague strike
pestilence
howling blast if available
obliterate/frost strike repeat
Reply Quote
87 Goblin Death Knight
Elitist Jerks has this pretty well covered

Single Target:
Diseases > Ob if both Frost/Unholy pairs and/or both Death runes are up, or if KM is procced >
BS if both Blood Runes are up > FS if RP capped > Rime > Ob > BS > FS > HoW.

AOE (Assuming you dont need to maintain CCs)
HB if both Frost runes and/or both Death runes are up >
DnD/PS if both Unholy Runes are up > BS if both Blood Runes are up >
FS if RP capped > HB > BS > DnD/PS > FS > HoW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]