Resto Shaman needs clarification

85 Draenei Shaman
This toon has only been around for about six months or so, so I don't have the benefit of years of experience, but I need some clarification on a few things:

1. Healing Wave

I'm seeing a lot of threads saying that healing wave should be the go-to heal for shamans with Healing Surge being the burst heal. For me though, my mana regen is still high enough that I use Greater Healing Wave when I proc Tidal Waves from Riptide (I still have the 2-piece t10 bonus, as I have yet to have anything better drop so that helps with the cast time as well) and Healing Surge at all other times because it's such a fast heal. And yet the t11 2-piece bonus affects only Healing Wave, making me think that I should either re-think how I heal or just not bother with t11.

2. Telluric Currents

While I have yet to wipe in a group in the new dungeons or even drop below 50% mana even on bosses, most people in my LFD groups are telling me that I'm wasting talent point by not putting points into Telluric Currents. Is mana regen really that bad for healers this expansion? Because between Rainsong and Tear of Blood I'm doing just fine on mana right now. My mana pool is barely above 40k, but I still manage to stay above 50%.

3. Ancestral Swiftness

I'll be picking this up when I get to 85. When I tell people I'm getting this talent they give me funny looks IRL and they give me grief in-game. In my mind, this would help me get out of generic "green %#!@" in dungeons and raids and help me a bit more when I use Spiritwalker's Grace. Is this really such a bad idea? If so, what should I do instead? the points seem wasted anywhere else.

For clarification, here's typically how I heal:

Riptide the tank when he first starts taking damage. If he takes a big hit, I hit him with GHW which usually crits for close to 30k. If I'm healing the DPS and myself and for some reason the tank takes a huge damage spike, I'll hit Nature's Swiftness and GHW again, with Healing Surge to pick up the remainder. If I've already used NS I'll use Riptide and Unleash Elements on whoever needs it, hit the boss/trash with Flame Shock, and use HS which is now incredibly fast, powerful, and almost guaranteed to crit. I rarely use Chain Heal since 4.0, but I do use it occasionally.

Is there something wrong with what I'm doing, or are people just giving me grief for the sake of grief?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
1. Healing Wave is the only spell you can cast at 85 wihout mana issues. The other spells see a bit of use, but you probably cast 3-5 HW's for every non. This will become extremely obvious around 84, especially once you ditch 2t10.

2. It is a choice. If you think you need it, spec it. I don't and have not needed it.

3. Your friends are idiots. 15% run speed is AMAZING for anyone, especially Shaman who are still pretty much turret healers. Insta-wolf is icing on the cake. I would seriously question the intelligence of any shaman without this talent.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Hunter
1. From my experience, dungeons from level 80-83 (Never instanced at 84) were easy to heal. I never went OOM, I did the exact same thing you did. However, at level 85.. especially in heroics, you will notice that constantly using Greater Healing Waves rather than Healing Waves is the wrong way to go. It consumes too much mana, and certainly does not heal for a great deal. You should practically be spamming that key bound to your Healing Waves. Healing surge should only be used when the target is close to dying.

2. I don't spec into Telluric Currents, even at level 85. I do not run out of mana in heroics, but then again it depends on your group / play style. I consider myself to be extremely mana efficient.. I don't even use the mana totem.

3. Because of the game mechanics in Cata dungeons, especially heroics.. you need to get out of the voids of death. This means running OUT of there as soon as possible is your biggest priority. A dead, or close to dead, healer does not help the group. Take Ancestral Swiftness, you need to haul your butt from damaging spells or towards the tank if he runs out of range.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Imo, telluric currents is a pvp only move. I have done fine healing without speccing it, and if I did, rarely could I think of a time where I could spare a few lightning bolts instead of using healing wave fillers, since the mana cost is so low. As you level and reach heroics, your mana costs will SKYROCKET. Learn to use healing surge only as a last resort, or youll oom like crazy at 85. It costs 6.3k mana per cast and most shammies have 65k-75k mana pools in heroic gear. Healing wave should be your go-to, right after using riptide for the haste buff (even after dropping your t10 2p bonus).

EDIT: Also, speccing instant ghost wolf is a must imo. +15% movement, +30% if you can spare a GCD? I give shamans grief that DONT spec this.

If you are having mana problems, try replacing your prime glyph of shocking with glyph of water shield. If you feel its fine now, or in the future feel you have plenty, you can replace water shield with earthliving. I would also recommend healing stream totem for your major glyph, since it ends up being around 15% of my heals if i use it all the time, and it gives resists. Your other major glyph slot is up to you, although i like Stoneclaw, so i can cast it while getting out of the bad or mitigating incoming damage on myself. Some people prefer chain heal instead, the last slot is preference.
Edited by Shambilance on 12/14/2010 8:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
So basically Tidal Waves + GHW or NS +GHW isn't viable? That's a bummer. Is the rest of my "rotation" (if you can call it that) viable at all? I healed back in ICC and ToC and would like to do raid healing this expansion.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Trust me at 85 you'll be using all of your spells. During "easy" fights it'll be HW spam but.. thats really no different than wrath healing (Healing surge spam or CH spam, what have you).
And I Riptide + Unleash Elements + GHW all the time. That harder hitting GHW is very mana efficient.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Your rotation is good for WotLK, just a few minor changes and you'll have Cata healling down.

If the tank/party member is taking light damage, Riptide > HWx2
If the tank/party member is taking medium/heavy damage, Riptide > Unleash Elements > GHWx2
If the tank is almost dead, Healing surge. Only healing surge party members if you know you wont go oom.
For AoE heals, Healing rain (lvl 83 skill) + Chain heal is great, as long as you keep riptide rolling on as many people as possible.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Alright, thank you! I'll start the changes as soon as I get home from work (:D).

One more question: you suggested I drop Glyph of Shocking. Should I then get rid of Focused Insight? I mean, that talent is the only reason I have that particular glyph, and I use it fairly regularly when I get the chance.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I would recommend taking those points out and putting them into tidal focus and totemic focus. Mana cost reductions are huge until we get some more gear. Focused insight just adds a GCD to our healing rotation, reducing it over all, and the mana reduction isn't really reducing mana, its just giving you back mana that you already spent on the shock. That move is also going to be pvp only I would assume.
Edited by Shambilance on 12/14/2010 8:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Fairly certain it'll be fixed, but for now its possible to UE -> cast x heal -> riptide quickly and you have both the x heal and riptide get the benefit of UE's buff, so you get 2 direct heals buffed and 1 hot buffed by one UE.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I currently don't have Focused Insight, but it's not a bad talent, especially in conjunction with Healing Rain, which is very useful in certain fights. I haven't been as impressed with Telluric Currents and don't use it. I think that if you're trying to work in Lightning Bolts it just forces you to cast less efficient heals more often because your cast time is at a premium, which kind of defeats the purpose of TC.

Tidal Waves with Greater Healing Wave is certainly still viable, you just won't be doing it continuously. It's still a tremendous boost to throughput when you need it that isn't THAT harsh on your mana, and Tidal Waves is usually up anyway because I pretty much cast Riptide on cooldown. Don't forget Unleash Elements before casting larger heals whenever possible since it's a nice efficiency boost.

When people take incidental damage I try to just throw them a Riptide and let that plus Healing Stream Totem gradually fill them back up. That frees up more time for just casting Healing Wave at the tank, which means I conserve mana and can afford to throw out Tidal-Waves boosted Greater Healing Waves or Healing Rain a couple times a minute when damage gets heavier. It's been working well enough for me.

I rarely use Healing Surge. It's just too expensive most of the time. Tidal Waves does give it a high chance to proc Ancestral Healing and Ancestral Awakening, though, so that's worth considering.
Edited by Vaidency on 12/14/2010 8:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I have been running into some mana problems myself, I know a lot of it is caused by my love of GHW. I have been looking into telluric currents as a fourm of mana regen, and of course laying off of the GHW as much as possable. I was looking at a build like this, http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hMh0hZ0bZcGbMRdfRuo , But I'm not sure I like all the "non-healing" points I have to spend to perhaps gain 200+ mana per lightning bolt. Please give me your honest thoughts.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
^ I just hink its too much effort and casting time wasted when you could be healing. Use pots/enhants/gems/reforge to fill your mana gap or just try different healing combos.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]