The Reality of Healing in Cataclysm...

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I usually do not post here, as it has always seemed next to pointless--An endeavor best reserved for those maintaining the illusion that their input matters.
I have, however, read several blue posts pertaining to healing in Cataclysm, its difficulties, its rewards, and the logic and intention behind it all.
Before Cata dropped, I found myself excited for the potential of increased difficulty for healers, since even in the most recent content of Wrath, all I found myself doing was spamming my most powerful spell, with no regard whatsoever for mana.
The intention of the changes to healing and mana pools was indeed a noble one: Make healers use triage, make them acutely aware of their limited resources, make it difficult yet rewarding.
Over and over again Blizzard stated that it was not their 'intention' to make life difficult for healers. (Read 'a nightmare for healers'). It was their 'intention' to make the role of healing challenging and fun.
But as many of us know...intentions hardly ever mirror results.
Healing in Cataclysm dungeons is not only difficult, it can at times seem impossible. It often seems that bosses are downed and players survive by mere luck, and not any decision making done by the healer, as he is out of mana halfway through the fight, desperately tapping his weakest heal praying that it will go off before the tank goes down.
Granted, the game has changed for everyone: At least for now, DPS have to dust off their CC buttons, and Tanks have to remember to move out of the fire. But it undoubtedly has changed the most for healers.
Especially in heroics, every boss fight (and some nasty trash pulls) are simply a fight against the healers mana. Down him before the healer goes oom, is now the name of the game. Because despite intelligent spell use, the use of cooldowns and mana pots...the healer WILL go oom before the fight is over.
I'm not saying that this should be changed--this was the intention all along, fait accompli, a foregone conclusion. There's nothing to be done about it now.
What I would like to point out is the lack in healers this will create across the community, and how much this will deter players who are new to the game from choosing a healing class.
Several people in my guild have already changed classes, either to an innocuous dps class, or to a resto shamman, since they seem to be the only ones not hopelessly nerfed. I myself am faced with the choice of rolling up another character, or simply taking a break from the game until players have out-geared the heroics,and I wont go oom on every other trash pull.
This is not a choice anyone should be faced with at the start of an expansion, and I'm possitive that it was not Blizzards 'intention'. However, for me, and many, many others, it is the Reality or healing in cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
If you're going oom with each trash pull, or ooming every boss fight, your group is doing it wrong, or you're healing wrong.

H SFK first boss on the kill (we did wipe a few times from mistakes), Resto Druid finished with 20% mana.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
If you're going oom with each trash pull, or ooming every boss fight, your group is doing it wrong, or you're healing wrong.

H SFK first boss on the kill (we did wipe a few times from mistakes), Resto Druid finished with 20% mana.

Thats what Ive been saying!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]